E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's the most stupid thing about the E60?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Things that annoy me;

1) Wipers clear to the 'wrong' side on Right Hand Drive vehicles

2) Fog light switches awkward to find (I had a Ford once where they were operated by pulling out the light knob - one click for front fogs, 2 clicks for front & rear - much better as could be done 'blind')

3) Cruise control was better when the controls were on the steering wheel

4) Lack of a sunglasses holder (most cars have them in the roof lining by the rear view mirror nowadays)

5) Window switches - easy to operate rear window in error when you want the front

6) Standard fit stereo (UK) very poor quality for a premium vehicle

7) Ridiculously overpriced Sat Nav (that's worse than a ?200 portable unit)

8) Voice control - that is 'right first time' around 30% of the time max.

9) Start / Stop button - I prefer a key!

10) LED indicators only on rear and not on front / side

11) Things that should be 'standard' being options e.g. High Beam Assistant, Professional Radio, Extended Interior Lights package etc

Thank God it looks and drives great!!!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by smoppett' post='553132' date='Mar 30 2008, 04:35 AM
Why not just throw them away and leave the power sockets exposed?

Simon
That's probably not a good idea. You really don't want a paper clip, or dime, or anything else conductive getting up in there and shorting things out...or somebody spilling something up in there. I'm sure there is a fuse on those sockets, but I still think it's a bad idea to leave them uncovered.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

ok.. i hope im posting this in the right place..lol.. but i just got a 08' 550 and i think that it is utterly ridiculous that it only holds 1 cd.. i think they should be standard for 6 cd's and its pissing me off..it has 6 buttons underneath it.. like it could.. but i cannot for the life of me get it to load anything other then the friggen one disc!!!
unless for some reason i am completely missing on how to load the cd's... i am a lil pissed about that..oh but it does have a dvd player.. go figure!
Attached Thumbnails What's the most stupid thing about the E60?-100_0713.jpg  
Old 03-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Members

My Ride: UK BMW 530d, registered 19Sep2003. Bluetooth, Business SatNav, Rear & side blinds, Business Radio, LOGIC7.

Originally Posted by melimel' post='553747' date='Mar 31 2008, 08:45 PM
ok.. i hope im posting this in the right place..lol.. but i just got a 08' 550 and i think that it is utterly ridiculous that it only holds 1 cd.. i think they should be standard for 6 cd's and its pissing me off..it has 6 buttons underneath it.. like it could.. but i cannot for the life of me get it to load anything other then the friggen one disc!!!
unless for some reason i am completely missing on how to load the cd's... i am a lil pissed about that..oh but it does have a dvd player.. go figure!
The CD (and DVD) on the facia are single drives. The 6 disc CD is located at the back of the glove box but it is a factory fit option. If you don't have it, your dealer may be able to retro fit it. There is an eject button and the cartridge pops out. Load the discs in and push it back. It then has to load each one in turn to check them, and it is then you realise you put them in upside down - again!

Simon
Old 03-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by FRANK970' post='535934' date='Feb 25 2008, 06:57 PM
I love this question. It is entrenched in NA culture, that you must have a drink in your car while you drive.
+111111

I still don't understand cup holders... i wouldnt mind/care if there were none and wish they had a cupholder delete option so the trim was one piece.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by UK 5 Series' post='553336' date='Mar 30 2008, 10:45 PM
Things that annoy me;

1) Wipers clear to the 'wrong' side on Right Hand Drive vehicles
Makes a change though.

2) Fog light switches awkward to find (I had a Ford once where they were operated by pulling out the light knob - one click for front fogs, 2 clicks for front & rear - much better as could be done 'blind')
Most other German cars do, sensibly, the same as your Ford. I'd love to see all Citroen Saxo/C1/C2's get anonymously recalled and have the same switch fitted but slightly different, ie, 1 pull equals rear fogs on, 2 clicks equals huge rectal spike and an external announcement saying "I think driving with my sidelights and front fog lights on looks cool. Just like my shellsuit".

3) Cruise control was better when the controls were on the steering wheel
I've stopped flashing people when I'm slowing down now. Must be getting used to it.

4) Lack of a sunglasses holder (most cars have them in the roof lining by the rear view mirror nowadays)

5) Window switches - easy to operate rear window in error when you want the front

6) Standard fit stereo (UK) very poor quality for a premium vehicle
Don't get me started on this.

7) Ridiculously overpriced Sat Nav (that's worse than a ?200 portable unit)
I have the ?200 portable. With fabulous custom "safety" POI's. However, I might have considered the current Business Nav offer had it been available en I ordered mine....

8) Voice control - that is 'right first time' around 30% of the time max.

9) Start / Stop button - I prefer a key!
This being my first diesel, I've stalled it a few times now and find the start button is NOT helpful in this situation.

10) LED indicators only on rear and not on front / side
And why not LED brake lights too?

11) Things that should be 'standard' being options e.g. High Beam Assistant, Professional Radio, Extended Interior Lights package etc

Thank God it looks and drives great!!!!!
For me, the stupidest thing is safety related and one they'll hopefully fix for the F10. The front seatbelts are not height adjustable. Didn't notice this on the test drives but the belt, as it goes up and across my chest and over my shoulder, slips down over my arm. I am 6ft4in but cannot remember a modern car that hasn't had the option to adjust the height of the belt. I find myself consciously dipping and lifting my shoulder to bring the belt back over my shoulder.... Scary... My seat is also set at the lowest which leaves about an inch or two between the headlining and me heed.....

Petty things;

Speedo on left
Short distance between idrive knob and gear knob when in 6th in MT
Dead pedal is far too close to clutch. Dangerously so. As is kick panel to accelerator. Maybe it's just me being a giant again though.
Colours of idrive displays - why have neither BMW nor Audi managed to make their high end infotainment options match their lovely instrument colours at night at least?
Green LED's, there's no need for the brightness of these. And they don't dim either. Thank God we've got no blue ones..... YET....
Old 04-14-2008, 06:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 525DA, Beige bport leather seats, adaptive bixenons, PDC, NAV Pro, Carbon Black, M-Sport, Head-Up.

How come there is no water temp gage
I have had it for every other car I hava had, including Honda's, Audi'd and E46's..kind of got used to it!
Old 04-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Love the car , but it's missing things that are standard on 20k golf/rabbits and Fords...

No Auto dimming mirrors except on Lux package ( have had fors that have done this since the early 90's)

Really bad location/ function of cup holder on LCI's ( can't put in a 16.9/20oz NR Coke bottle with out it becoming trapped!) have to reach accross the passenger etc...

Center console not a big deal , other than with how big it is it should hold much more.

Fold down rear seats? option most dealers don't order to stock there lots. Have it either stock or normal epquiped.
at leas tput the pass threw as stock if the seats are not...

If the sport pack includes a black out package, Why is the grill still Chromed out on the 550/535 ?
Old 04-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Members

Am I the only one who finds it annoying that there's nowhere to rest your right foot when in cruise? Call me lazy. I am!

I find the electrically adjustable steering wheel doesn't go quite far enough towards me either.

That said, what a car! It's the best I've ever owned or driven. My wife's CLK convertible even feels a bit naff now!
Old 04-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 M5 Saphire - All available options 2006 530i Mystic Blue - All available options for 06 2004 Ford Expedition - Boat hauler.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='534279' date='Feb 21 2008, 08:23 PM
I like that one too!! Never did understand the reasoning but then I figured maybe it was a little jab at the French by the German engineers! No silly wine glasses here, beer cans only...
LOL I always loved this one too...but if you look closer I think they are trying to depict no stemmed glasses which definately does include a wine glass

Quick Reply: What's the most stupid thing about the E60?