E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's the most stupid thing about the E60?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Og Oggilby' post='540028' date='Mar 5 2008, 03:55 PM
The front cup holders are the worst. I would rather have a larger glove compartment, and eliminate the holders in the front, if that is the best design that BMW can come up with. The only thing the front cup holders are good for is to see peoples reaction when they press the button and see the tiny/flimsy cup holder pop out. It is usually good for a laugh...
Euro cup holders must be different from USA market ones - you could swing from mine - they could take the weight of a 2 litre container no problems......
Old 03-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Drove a 2007 520 the other day and noticed a few changes from my pre-LCI model:

- weird joystick gearlever (automatic) probably OK if you get used to it but it drove me nuts. made me think why they don't just put buttons and paddles instead of wasting center console space with this thing. I found driving in manual mode easier in the old one but again, that may well be just a matter of getting used to.

- lightswitch to auto and daylight driving on in i-drive made the angel eyes light up but not the xenons unless it got dark. Nice, though I'd expect an extra option in i-drive to have daylight driving angel eyes only or xenons on.

- airco button center pushing switches between the various defaults. that's nice to cool or heat faster and then switch to less noticable climate control. Couldn't figure out the use of the center buttons of the left/right side temperature.

- navigation was a business version but with a (small) map. uses the same DVD als the older (arrow only) business nav system. Couldn't see much on the little screen so had to zoom in/out a lot. It did that reasonably quickly. But traffic info was hard to see.

- oil level check through i-drive, that's good. Bit far away in the menus but OK. Some new grouping in the car's setting list (if you hit the button when in basic menu)

- couldn't figure out the preset buttons near the gearstick. It's not for jumping to a view in i-drive (map or arrow for example) which is the only useful idea I could come up with. Did like the better storage (ie: fast turn proof) a lot.

- had a three-spoke steering wheel with aluminium inlay which had a nasty sharp edge on the backside. Did like the size of it though, it felt thicker. Also the center console had (fake) leather padding. Don't know if this is an option or not.

- Seat had extendable leg part (under the knees) forgot to ask if these are the new standard seats.

- the airco buttons were plasticky, the pre-LCI look more distinguished. Not sure if the car had an optional airco system.

- cupholders up front, worked better than I expected.

- no cd-changer but an AUX item in i-drive. couldn't find an input plug or USB socket like in the 1 series though.

felt at home quickly and only the lacking low-rev power/torque (I drive a 525 diesel daily) was missing. Even the bluetooth connecting of the phone was done in no-time. For day-to-day driving in traffic it was fine. Very quiet, much more quiet than mine. I think that's especially the tyres on higher speeds and the diesel on lower speeds.

- this car had 'normal' sized wheels (mine has 17" and run-flats) and it felt a lot smoother and more comfortable. Didn't feel less secure in fast turns either. So I wouldn't choose those if there would be a next 5 series.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 528i Sport/Premium/NAV

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='540101' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:53 AM
Guess I'll go ahead and add a peeve of mine. I can't remember if anybody's mentioned it yet or not, but the absolute stupidest thing is that you can't do a search in the Nav system by phone number or simply by name!!! If you don't know the "category" of an establishment you're looking for, YOU'RE SCREWED! By the time you figure out the category, you could merely HAPPEN UPON the place you're trying to find!
AGREED!!!! The NAV system in the E60 leaves a bit to be desired. First, as you've said....you can't search by the name of the establishment. Also, once you get to your destination, the system (at least in my '04 530i) does not say whether the destination is on the left side, or the right side of the street. At night, this is a big deal! My Acura RL used to perform both of these functions, and that NAV system was much much better than BMW's current offering.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:35 AM
Members

My Ride: UK BMW 530d, registered 19Sep2003. Bluetooth, Business SatNav, Rear & side blinds, Business Radio, LOGIC7.

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='539725' date='Mar 4 2008, 11:46 PM
I hate those blank plug things in back of the center console where the rear climate control knobs used to go.
Why not just throw them away and leave the power sockets exposed?

Simon
Old 03-30-2008, 02:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='539982' date='Mar 5 2008, 08:55 AM
I wonder if there are different holders in USA? I have no trouble at all with mine.....bottles, cans, empty carboard coffee cups, no probem.....

Well for me, the cup holders are just to wooooow people when they press the button. other then that, NO DRINKING, NO EATING,NO SMOKING, AND NO BARFING(LOOL) IN THE CAR.

thats the rule in my E60.

yeah i know, too neaty and picky, but those r the rules. plus no more then 2 people in the rear side, it damages the leather when someone sits in the middle, plus a lot of kicking on the rear seats and foots on the leather.lool

yeah a lil bit off-subject
Old 03-30-2008, 02:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Talking

Originally Posted by Chef' post='534250' date='Feb 21 2008, 10:19 PM
The push start button - how has this gadget actually advanced mankind?

Oh, and nowhere for my wife to put her handbag/purse/stuff

================================================== ============

Those antiquated BMW e60 drink holders, that have a great outside design that works along great with the dash, but they have cheap insides with easy to break BLACK plastic drink holders, that do get broke more often than any other cars I know of in today's market place.

You would think BMW, Chris Bangle and his e60 design team would design a better, and stronger, drink holder! (LOL)
Old 03-30-2008, 07:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Presley348' post='553143' date='Mar 30 2008, 05:40 AM
================================================== ============

Those antiquated BMW e60 drink holders, that have a great outside design that works along great with the dash, but they have cheap insides with easy to break BLACK plastic drink holders, that do get broke more often than any other cars I know of in today's market place.

You would think BMW, Chris Bangle and his e60 design team would design a better, and stronger, drink holder! (LOL)
The design team had only wine glasses to work with (I think).
Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

It is still the German philosophy that we should be driving, not drinking, so cup holders are an after thought. I do use mine for bottled water on long trips. They do seem to eject when empty.

I agree on the weak Nav software. I am thankful it finally got some sort of POI search. I've used it many times with reasonable success.

I do like most of the enhancements of the LCI although my only experience with pre LCI E60s was test drives (and an '06 650i). One big flaw in the interior design is the down sloping armrest hits my leg just below the knee. You can't use it as a brace on track. I got a bruise from trying. I assume the hard edged armrest is what gave the 5 series the bad rating in side impacts. If the seat is low and forward, it could poke you in the kidneys.

To answer an above post on the iDrive buttons, I believe they can be used for only 3 functions (Nav destinations, phone numbers, & radio stations). I have some of each programmed. I have my home addres & work address programmed so that I can quickly set up nav and get traffic info on my daily commute.

It would be a better design if the buttons could have different functions for each Nav screen, at least the 4 categories, although you'd have to go to the page first to use them.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i, Full M-Tech kit, CF Hamann front lip, M5 trunk lid, 20" iForged swift, LCI Tail Lights, Remus Quad Exhaust.

One thing that really bugs me is the bong sound the car makes when the key is still in the ignition and the car is off. After washing my car, I play music while wiping the car down and if I have the door open, the noise will continually go off, i would hope it stopped after a min or so, but to no avail.

As for the cupholder...I'm one of the unfortunate ones whos had it snagged by a strap from a purse... Now anyone who sits in the passenger and decides to bring a drink, I hope you have good cup holding hands.lol
Old 03-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i; Titanium Silver II; Sport Package; Cold Weather; Navigation; 3M Clear Bra; Alpine IPOD Interface; MOMO GTR Tech 19" Wheels; Heated Wheel; Smoked Hella Taillights

Originally Posted by Chef' post='534250' date='Feb 21 2008, 10:19 PM
The push start button - how has this gadget actually advanced mankind?

Oh, and nowhere for my wife to put her handbag/purse/stuff
To me the most stupid thing is every time you start the car the Idrive warning disclaimer that asks you to click "ACCEPT". It goes away on it's own after 10 seconds anyway. I feel like I am liable for something if I don't click to ACCEPT

Quick Reply: What's the most stupid thing about the E60?