E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's the most stupid thing about the E60?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4. The Homelink garage door open only functions whenthe car is on, so you are starting your car with the garage door down.

I do not understand this one. Don't you have a garage door opener right inside the door of your garage? You open the door, hit the door opener, get in your car, drive out and then hit your button in your car to close the door. Am I missing something?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Stupid may be a bit too strong a word but there are some things that would have been easy to do better than they did:

- cupholders....... what has not been said yet: they're an option, should be standard. they're not good. In the E39 a cup messed up the climate control's measurement of the inside temp. In the E60 they are flimsy.

- no space to put sunglasses. every serious driver needs those at hand. Can't put them anywere securely (I mean: strong enough to withstand cornering like a BMW E60) like in cheap people carriers and such.

- same for the cell phone

- same for the credit card / access pass / parking pass etc

- same for small change unless you don't smoke and got the ash tray

- no place for a bottle of water (any french car has this)

- PDC doesn't react the same speed as the rest of the car (meaning: you hit a wall before it beeps when you're quick on and off the pedals) no car i drove has this, but then again, if you need PDC you don't back-up that quickly anyway.

- boot has nothing to put smaller stuff in: it all floats all over the place. would have been easy to put something pre-moulded in there like cheap cars have.

- no clip for parking tickets (I mean the ones you buy yourself, not the ones you get from the police) was it Volvo that had these standard? pick it up in any store for a dollar. Easy score for a car manufacturer to include one.

- i-drive.... ok, let's not get started on that.

- nothing smart to drive in traffic jams. In 'D' it rolls too fast, can't switch 'D' to 'N' to 'D' without hitting the brake every time. really stupid not to include this in the requirements. cheap Vw passats have this

- oil level meter, not just pressure. everything else is measured, why not this.

- same for the tyre pressure

- no eject DVD NOW button or shortcut (on business nav models)

- weird yellow LED things up front, pointless. LCI models have the 'bar' that at least looks nice.

- the -3 C degrees warning kicks in every sometime. kind of annoying but ok, for safety sake.

- no pre-set speeds in the cruise control, no top-off speed either (even cheap citroens have that)

time to stop.

next topic: what's really great about this car, the things they got just right!
(like driving, engine, cornering, handling and so on)
Old 02-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

People...the engine does not have to be running for the garage door opener to work. If you have a key, it has to be in the on position. If you have a start/stop button, you need to press it without having your foot on the brake.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

[quote name='BMDiesel' date='Feb 22 2008, 04:25 PM' post='534661']
Stupid may be a bit too strong a word but there are some things that would have been easy to do better than they did:

BMD, you don't show what make or model of car you are talking about??
Old 02-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='534583' date='Feb 22 2008, 05:56 PM
i always put my cell phone in the little holder by the cigarette lighter. i always found it to be a good spot. a lot of my friends though with whatever car they have, i find them putting a cell phone holder clipped to the sunvisor and that looks like a good spot as well.

for the garage, just open it right after you start your car

just my opinion.
With the integrated Bluetooth, why do you need somewhere to put your phone? Just leave it in your jacket hung on the hook by the back door - or in your handbag if you're a girl etc, etc, etc.....

Mind you - this has pissed me off many times.....shitty storage in a ?45K car. If you leave anything on the shelf under the iDrive screen and pull away too fast, it all ends up in the back seat. You'd think a small lip there would have been common sense. And if you have a phone, cigarettes, lighter and a wallet you want to store and have them all easily accessible, you are screwed unless you dont want to actually see the iDrive screen.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I put my cell phone on the ledge in front of the iDrive screen.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='534693' date='Feb 22 2008, 05:29 PM
I put my cell phone on the ledge in front of the iDrive screen.
You're joking, right?
Old 02-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='534749' date='Feb 22 2008, 09:25 PM
You're joking, right?
No, why?? Bad idea??
Old 02-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black/BlacK

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='534764' date='Feb 22 2008, 10:10 PM
No, why?? Bad idea??

Cause when I do that and stomp on the gas the phone flies off and hits my buddy in the face
Old 02-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='534764' date='Feb 22 2008, 10:10 PM
No, why?? Bad idea??
Ja, indeed. The laws of physics make it dangerous actually.

Quick Reply: What's the most stupid thing about the E60?