E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

the way E60 was meant to be

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Only Bimmers
I am really surprised at the results for some. It is a night and day difference when i did it. Love the mod. The throttle response, trans shifting, and steering are so much better in sport mode. There is no need to place in DS as FDC is more aggressive. Even the description for FDC stated "Drive or Manual mode". Hope this works for all.
You had mentioned earlier that putting your car in DS gave you 6th gear....In my car I dont get 6th gear in DS I have to knock it over to D to get 6th gear There have to be some programming differences in our cars! I will continue testing!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
You had mentioned earlier that putting your car in DS gave you 6th gear....In my car I dont get 6th gear in DS I have to knock it over to D to get 6th gear There have to be some programming differences in our cars! I will continue testing!
I will test this fully in a 70mph zone tomorrow and report back.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

Yep, i have all my software updated in my car. So maybe there is a difference. I also have a new Mechatronic unit. I programmed the EGS several times with different software for testing. I still have a slam so i was going between the stock software and the one meant to reduce the shifting issues. Fun when you have tools to play with!

I may be wrong about 6th gear, maybe it was a lower gear being held by sport and then putting it into DS released into 5th. I do know that i have tested it and Sport and "D" holds the shift way longer. Once i put it in DS it goes to a higher gear earlier only when the Sport button is depressed. It is the opposite when the Sport button is off and attempt D vs DS.

I cant believe that some arent seeing dramatic differences. I am beyond impressed. Really is a completely new car.

Last edited by Only Bimmers; 11-18-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Only Bimmers
Yep, i have all my software updated in my car. So maybe there is a difference. I also have a new Mechatronic unit. I programmed the EGS several times with different software for testing. I still have a slam so i was going between the stock software and the one meant to reduce the shifting issues. Fun when you have tools to play with!

I may be wrong about 6th gear, maybe it was a lower gear being held by sport and then putting it into DS released into 5th. I do know that i have tested it and Sport and "D" holds the shift way longer. Once i put it in DS it goes to a higher gear earlier only when the Sport button is depressed. It is the opposite when the Sport button is off and attempt D vs DS.

I cant believe that some arent seeing dramatic differences. I am beyond impressed. Really is a completely new car.
I need to test the car on more curvy smaller roads ive been on the highway messing with the ds and sport I need to be somewhere where I can stay in 1-3rd gear to get a better feel for the shifts between sport and DS see which are holding longer like you said.........gotta find me some back roads!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:02 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
I will test this fully in a 70mph zone tomorrow and report back.
Ok, so my car does use all 6 gears in either mode.

When in SPORT mode, regardless of in D or M/S shifting mode,it shifts into 6th at around 65mph and 2700 rpm, this is just in normal acceleration conditions. It then downshifts to 5th at around 62mph, around 2500rpm, when coasting. When you're into the throttle it obviously will stay in gear longer. When driving around town in SPORT, i've found that I sometimes need to flip over to M/S to put it in 6th so i'm not running such high rpm's in a 45 or 55mph zone. Other than that, I probably won't be using the manual shifting mode as much. I am loving this mod!

06' 530i Sport N52 Auto

Last edited by Crckrjck; 11-19-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Members

Been following the debate closely on if the sport mode does anything. I haven't had enough time to play around with it, but it does somehow feel different with sport mode. It feels like the shifts and acceleration is more direct or linear with sportmode on. Is it possible the torque converter gets locked sooner in sport mode?

Anyone know if INPA shows the torque converter locked vs unlocked if I have it connected while driving?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i

I have successfully completed this mod, I have a 2007 530i auto, no active steering, with sport mode on: steering is stiffer, gear changes more rapidly, rpms are reving higher before gear change, also the throttle feeling more responsive with no lag, the car doesnt feel like a boat anymore lol, just my input
Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Question, does every auto tranny have DS mode?
If not, i am wondering if the sport mode only effects cars without the DS option, as some claim that there's no difference between DS and sport.

I have a 545i with...
Active steering
Dynamic handling
D/DS/MS option

Just curious
Old 11-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
Ok, so my car does use all 6 gears in either mode.

When in SPORT mode, regardless of in D or M/S shifting mode,it shifts into 6th at around 65mph and 2700 rpm, this is just in normal acceleration conditions. It then downshifts to 5th at around 62mph, around 2500rpm, when coasting. When you're into the throttle it obviously will stay in gear longer. When driving around town in SPORT, i've found that I sometimes need to flip over to M/S to put it in 6th so i'm not running such high rpm's in a 45 or 55mph zone. Other than that, I probably won't be using the manual shifting mode as much. I am loving this mod!

06' 530i Sport N52 Auto
I was on the highway yesterday just cruising and my car will not shift to 6th in either DS or sport! I have to push the gearshift back over to D. I have not tested manually shifting into 6th. I did notice that both sport and DS stay lit in the dash at the same time if I activate both I dont know which overrides which, or it could depend on which one was activated last.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

I was on the highway yesterday just cruising and my car will not shift to 6th in either DS or sport! I have to push the gearshift back over to D. I have not tested manually shifting into 6th. I did notice that both sport and DS stay lit in the dash at the same time if I activate both I dont know which overrides which, or it could depend on which one was activated last.
Tip of the day...
The car will shift into 6th in DS mode if you turn cruise control on.

Quick Reply: the way E60 was meant to be