E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

the way E60 was meant to be

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
Is there a how to on removing the radio faceplate to get behind there easier, I want to try this but I think theres to much to remove to have access to the back of the dsc control module!
This one shows everything you need. Its for the aux install, but the steps are the same. It was pretty straigtforward, except for the middle clips on the center console piece which took some trial and error (and some cussing)

Old 11-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kushane
This one shows everything you need. Its for the aux install, but the steps are the same. It was pretty straigtforward, except for the middle clips on the center console piece which took some trial and error (and some cussing)

BMW E60 AUX INSTALL PART 1 - YouTube
well I spent the last 3 hours doing this exactly on my own without this video there was another video showing how to change the radio on a 530 I used, anyway, thank you though

heres a very unscientific video camparison I think sport and DS are the same if not there is a very small difference between them you decide if there is some kind of difference I will have to continue more testing have pics but photobucket is acting retarded!

BMW sport button mod vs DS - YouTube

Last edited by 545IblupasdU; 11-17-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:35 PM
New Members

Has anyone done this on an LCI? Is it the connector left to the CDC?
Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

ok finally got access to my pics

this is the route I took took off the wood panel off the fron then wedged out the radio/nav/cd player cover.

Once you get that center piece off the dsc button module will slide right out there werent any screws holding this in.

I then stripped down a couple thin wires and used about 3-4 strands of individual wire which I pushed into the holes for pins 8 and 10

carefully push the connector into the socket keeping the wires seperated, you can tape them down onto the connector f you want I didnt.

then all I did was lightly push back all the panels with the 2 wires sticking out and went for a test drive

touch the 2 wires together momentarily and you will see the sport light up on the dash!

was on the highway today switching back and forth between sport and DS seems the same to me...but again every car is different and I have a 545i sport so maybe this is already built into the DS mode, If you dont have a sport then this may change your shiftpoints and steering feel, but for me it feels like DS and they both feel great pull strong in all gears, hold the gears longer and overall a good mod if you dont have it already!

Last edited by 545IblupasdU; 11-18-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
ok finally got access to my pics

this is the route I took took off the wood panel off the fron then wedged out the radio/nav/cd player cover.

I then stripped down a couple thin wires and used about 3-4 strands of individual wire which I pushed into the holes for pins 8 and 10
You probably dont want to take yours back apart, but for others who want to give this a try:

The plug where you inserted the wires can be removed from it's outer clip housing by prying it out. This allows access to the back of the plug where you can insert wires with proper pin enclosures(i posted pictures earlier in the thread of the pc cpu fan wire lead that has the perfect wire ends that fit into our plug). That cam levered plug cover was not easy to remove for me, but finally i just pulled both sides apart with my fingernails and it popped loose. It comes out sideways at a 90 degree angle to the pin plug direction.

and if you have an 06 530i you should definitely do this mod!

Last edited by Crckrjck; 11-18-2012 at 09:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NWMoss (12-10-2019)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by BLooD
I guess you obviously don`t.
Nope, this is my A to B comfortable car. Would gladly sell it off or trade it for a barebones pickup in good shape with nothing power (seats, windows, etc) except A/C is a must. Plus some ca$h

All -
For me the D/S is better when it comes to shifting on RPM band. "Sport" seems to only make steering feel "slightly" different...so different that I can barely tell and I'm starting to think it doesn't get heavier.

Have both Active Steering and Dynamic Drive.
Have sports package
Have Auto Gearbox
Have upgraded software as of early 2012.

Called a friend who is a shop foreman at BMW within 3 hours from me, and he confirmed the following:
There is a reason why the retrofit is not well known.
if you have an auto and sports package the software for EGS is different that that of a non-sports package. But everything depends on VO, Gearbox, Performance package, year and engine of car.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Nope, this is my A to B comfortable car. Would gladly sell it off or trade it for a barebones pickup in good shape with nothing power (seats, windows, etc) except A/C is a must. Plus some ca$h

All -
For me the D/S is better when it comes to shifting on RPM band. "Sport" seems to only make steering feel "slightly" different...so different that I can barely tell and I'm starting to think it doesn't get heavier.

Have both Active Steering and Dynamic Drive.
Have sports package
Have Auto Gearbox
Have upgraded software as of early 2012.

Called a friend who is a shop foreman at BMW within 3 hours from me, and he confirmed the following:
There is a reason why the retrofit is not well known.
if you have an auto and sports package the software for EGS is different that that of a non-sports package. But everything depends on VO, Gearbox, Performance package, year and engine of car.
Thats what I figured, I also have the same setup as you, Active steering,Dynamic Drive, Sport package and auto! The difference is minimal if any, I actually kind of prefer it in DS but Im still testing Im not sure if I feel a slight difference in throttle response in sport!

Ill see for a few days keep switching back and forth to see.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
You probably dont want to take yours back apart, but for others who want to give this a try:

The plug where you inserted the wires can be removed from it's outer clip housing by prying it out. This allows access to the back of the plug where you can insert wires with proper pin enclosures(i posted pictures earlier in the thread of the pc cpu fan wire lead that has the perfect wire ends that fit into our plug). That cam levered plug cover was not easy to remove for me, but finally i just pulled both sides apart with my fingernails and it popped loose. It comes out sideways at a 90 degree angle to the pin plug direction.

and if you have an 06 530i you should definitely do this mod!
Im just testing this, Im not gonna go throough all the trouble of adding buttons and doing permanent wiring if its the same as DS on my car! it will stay like this for a few days so I can feel the car out in both settings but I have a feeling for my car its the same as DS still not convinced either way though.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

I am really surprised at the results for some. It is a night and day difference when i did it. Love the mod. The throttle response, trans shifting, and steering are so much better in sport mode. There is no need to place in DS as FDC is more aggressive. Even the description for FDC stated "Drive or Manual mode". Hope this works for all.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really does seem to make a difference on the model then. Night and day for me also. The throttle responsiveness is the most noticeable difference. The shift points seem the same as using D/S and it downshifts similarly when slowing down, but to me, when you have your foot in it, in SPORT mode, it's like it reaches out and yanks into the next gear, with noticeably crisper shifts. I've noticed the tighter steering on quick turn-ins also.

For reference I have:
06 530i Sport - built 07/05 - Pre-lci
N52 motor
Dynamic Drive
Active Steering
ZF Automatic

Last edited by Crckrjck; 11-19-2012 at 05:02 AM.

Quick Reply: the way E60 was meant to be