E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

vibration at 70 - looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmetzger
The fact that mine only becomes noticeable when it's wet makes me think it's not the tires. It's nearly non-existent unless it's wet out. Seems more like some type of bushing or joint as they tend to show wear symptoms more with changes in weather. Whatever it is, it may not be as worn out as some of your alls, but the water getting to it causes it to perform poorly.
Thinking about it more today, I remember people having similar issues with vibrations in rain due to water getting caught in the channel where your 3-piece wheels bolt together. These are the first 3-piece wheels I've had so I'm not entirely sure, but it seems like that's my issue. Hopefully, at least. Otherwise I'm still lost with the rest of you.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

A few days after i installed my new shocks/springs my vibrations came back. I was hoping the shocks/springs would be the culprit but oh well. I have the exact same problem as most people here. Between 65-80 mph i have that vibration that feels like its coming from my left front. I have gone through 3 sets of tires, 3 sets of rims, new shocks/springs. I have had my car at 3 different BMW dealers and several mom and pop shops. NO ONE can figure out whats causing it. The strangest thing about my vibration is that it is intermittent. It will go away for a few days but then its right back to vibrating for 3 weeks and then gone again. I would like to check my control arm bushings myself but i am afraid if that i take apart that part of my suspension I'm going to need another alignment. Trying to avoid getting a new alignment. Any ideas?
Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Checking control arm bushings can be done by simply looking at them. You will not need an alignment if you do take the arm off anyway.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Members

I'd like to ad my experience with a vibration. I have a 550 sport with the 19" 172m wheels. At first I though vibration was from rims, so I got the rear 2 straightened. No change, still shakes. Front tension strut and lower control arm bushings were worn out, so I paid big $$$ to get them all replaced with OEM parts. Still shaking. After realizing that only a very very intricate and perfect balance helped with the shaking, I am now positive that it's because the rims, probably the rear ones, are still bent. The race shop that installed the bushings saw the wheels "hop" on the balancer but said it wasn't enough to warrant a vibration. The suspension on the 550 is so firm and precise, I'm positive this hop is what is being felt in the car. Too bad each rim is $500 and am too worried to buy them used. Also, it's been known that factory bmw 172m wheels are easily bendable so just have to save up more $$$ and replace them.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Members

this is to all of you that have vibrations!!! i have been dealing with this for more than a year and finally this weekend i got rid of it, here is my story. i bought my 2005 545i with 3 bent rims, there was no way i was going to even attempt to fix the bends as this will NEVER, i repeat NEVER EVER mean that they will be perfect again. So i decided to order brand new aftermarket wheels 18 inch STYLE 166 replicas from this place http://www.oemwheelsplus.com/ for a great price of $550 delivered. I also ordered brand new set of tires from tirerack.com, they were SUMITOMO. I had my local indy shop mount them, balance them and align my car. at this point i was in for about $1500 total. when i took my car back it had vibration between 65-80 mph, this vibration was not constant but come and go.....it drove me crazy, i was convinced that the balancing was off, so i had 4 other places do balancing of my tires, including the dealer, no help, same vibration after spending another $300.....next i replaced the control arms and bushing and was hoping that would fix the problem, but it did not. STILL SHAKES....at this point i was ready to flip out. i called the website that sold me the wheels and asked if anyone complain about their wheels shake, they said that i was crazy and it is the problem with my suspension or the balancing...they sent me another set of the same wheels (exchange) but my car was still shaking......i know this shaking could not be from my suspension because i replaced the control arms and shocks, i knwo its not the tires because i had those tires on another vehicle and it did not shake.....my last try was to get OEM wheels and see if my theory was true. I found a set of OEM 18 in wheels on craigslist for $550 that came with tires, put them on this weekend and guess what...VIBRATION IS GONE!!!!!!!! i could not believe it, It was the brand new aftermarket wheels that were causing it. my suggestion to all you you is DO NOT BUY WHEELS from this website and DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET wheels for your car unless they are a well known brand, dont buy cheap aftermarket wheels, they simply can not be balances, PERIOD. This whole thing cost me a lot of money and all could have been avoided if i spent that money on OEM wheels. I am just very glad that now my car does not shake. hopefully this can help you guys
Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Members

Reviving this thread for my vibration issue.

A question to some of the OP and subsequent posters - did you ever solve your issue?

I have this same problem with my '06 e60 M5, now with 140K+ miles. I have replaced just about all of the suspension components and I am now down to the subframe/axle carrier bushings as the culprit. We are suspecting that those bushings are worn out and causing additional flex, movement and vibration at speed when you have the torque of the differential and axle shafts spinning at higher speeds and that this vibration is now transmitted into the chassis - cabin.

Any thoughts on this from prior? did anyone ever change our the subframe bushings? or fully solve the issue? tia, Tom