E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

vibration at 70 - looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

Did you try to replace the tires?
We have TireVan in our area, one day that truck was on our company parking lot, so asked him to take a look at my balance(he is huge BMW fan), so he came up with: front tires absolutely fine, but rears are weight is over limit ~ on tire 45 lbs, and another almost 90 lbs. It's force balance and it should be not more than 10 lbs per tire. BTW, BMW dealer told me same thing (just less weight), so I filed a report to Yokohama tires, so going to replace with different tires.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Members

My Ride: | 2006 550i | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport Package | 6-speed MT | Logic7 | NAV | CWP | Tan Dakota Leather | Stock 124s | 35% tint |

Originally Posted by phlfly
Did you try to replace the tires?
We have TireVan in our area, one day that truck was on our company parking lot, so asked him to take a look at my balance(he is huge BMW fan), so he came up with: front tires absolutely fine, but rears are weight is over limit ~ on tire 45 lbs, and another almost 90 lbs. It's force balance and it should be not more than 10 lbs per tire. BTW, BMW dealer told me same thing (just less weight), so I filed a report to Yokohama tires, so going to replace with different tires.
Yep. Just put on 4 new general exclaim UHP to replace my OEM p-zero neros. zero improvement.

now they are saying the vibration is gone after another roadforce balance. these guys are giving me whiplash.

i'll post an update after I drive it.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

Get Michelins and the vibration will go away. There are very easy to balance. Had the same problem with Hankooks.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Members

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports andI still have a slight vibration. After getting them road force balanced at the dealer, the vibration is better. The slight vibration at high speeds I'm attributing to the cracked front lower control arm bushings.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dantheman1
I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports andI still have a slight vibration. After getting them road force balanced at the dealer, the vibration is better. The slight vibration at high speeds I'm attributing to the cracked front lower control arm bushings.
What is control arm?
It's only fishbone and tension strut.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:45 AM
Senior Members

I'm replacing my tires today I have Yokohama Avid Envigor with Yokohama Advan S4. I shall report back later afternoon today
Old 10-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

I have just back from tire shop. So after driving around 15 miles, the problem is gone. Now I can actually feel vibration from the front end due to bad tension strut arm bushing.
So my advice if you have a cheap tires installed and has vibration, replaced them with set or buy next step up tires.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Members

Any updates?

My problem is similar to what I've quoted below, but this thread seems to have more contributors recently. I have an '05 545i.

Originally Posted by Prince Sky
I recently purchased a 2004 525i, and mine does that also. Above 65 mph, I get vibration that lasts 6-8 seconds, then 6-8 seconds of non- vibration. I am amazed at the regularity. I feel my vibration more in the seat of my pants than in the steering wheel. In the Bentley service manual, there is a service bulletin r/t the driveshaft and universal joints. My car was delivered with 255-35-20 tires on Beyrern "5" rims. Falken up front and Nitto on the rear.The first I will recheck is the balance and trueness of the wheels. Then the driveshaft. I am praying it is not the transmission, since the vibe (Harmonic Vibration as the another poster called it.) does not happen until I get to higher speeds; 70mph...at 65mph the car rides as smooth as silk.If you solve this puzzle, please share your knowledge. And I will keep you posted on my progress. And believe me, I am going to solve this. It takes so much away from the road trips.
My car behaves similarly, but usually the vibrations are on and off for no more than 3 or 4 seconds.

The very weird thing with mine is that in the rain the vibrations get 100x worse. I want to say it's the Guibo disc just because the issue is so weird and this is the only car I've owned that has a Guibo disc, but I really don't know. I googled "vibration in rain" and all I came back with was a bunch of Evo owners having a similar problem after installing aftermarket exhaust. The cause was the exhaust rubbing on the driveshaft, but no one really knew why it was so much worse in the rain. I haven't had a chance to get mine on the lift and check it out yet, just looking for some input after my bumpy ride into work this morning.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:54 AM
Members

I found the best tire man in Arizona and he was able to settle the vibe down, it is not completely gone. In his opinion, after the road force balance, is the tires. Reading all of excellent opinions....driveshaft, bushings, control arms, shocks, et al, sent me into overload. My final solution is since I like this car and plan to keep it for a long time; as I do maintenance, repairs, upgrades and modifications eventually I will find the actual culprit serendipitously. With our cars, there are just too many variables.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Members

The fact that mine only becomes noticeable when it's wet makes me think it's not the tires. It's nearly non-existent unless it's wet out. Seems more like some type of bushing or joint as they tend to show wear symptoms more with changes in weather. Whatever it is, it may not be as worn out as some of your alls, but the water getting to it causes it to perform poorly.

Quick Reply: vibration at 70 - looking for suggestions