E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

vibration at 70 - looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spykes
i have the same exact problem. it occures at 75 mph. It seems like e60s all have the same problems.

not entirely true. My car was perfectly fine until recently, slight vibration but I know it's because of the worn out bushings. I've spoken to several techs about our E60 and most agreed that BMW OEM bushings are crap. It fails around 70-80K miles.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Members

mine has about 80k on them, i wonder if i should replace them when i get coilovers.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

you can visually inspect it, look for hairline crack or possible sign of fluid leaking from it? My front left has some. Gonna order aftermarket control arms and replace both side.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Members

My car has 53k miles and I have the same issue. It was partly solved when I took it into a race shop today that had some very precise equipment. They took the tires off the wheel and put them back on to re-bead them and did a balance. They also noticed my front 2 lower control arm bushings are cracked and both my rear wheels are bent... awesome. I have no shake at all in the steering wheel (front rims were ok) but there is still a little vibration in the seats with hwy speed, most likely due to the slightly bent rims.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Members

My Ride: | 2006 550i | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport Package | 6-speed MT | Logic7 | NAV | CWP | Tan Dakota Leather | Stock 124s | 35% tint |

Originally Posted by grady
I asked him to start with a roadforce balance, and then begin checking the list. After the balance, he said the vibration was still clearly there. He could actually see the passenger seat and headrest vibrating slightly. He then did a visual inspection under the car on the rack, retorqued bolts and "shook down" everything. Still nothing. Only find was that one of the rear rims had a slight divot.

Next steps are to get the wheel guy to repair the divot and have the shop foreman test drive it.

If that doesn't solve it, I will have to take it in under my CPO and have them go to the next level - meaning pulling off parts, replacing things and likely checking the drivetrain.

I'd hate to think this is all because of a slight divot in my rim, but I'm sure that would be preferable to the CPO battle I'd be into next. Although I know that is better than no CPO at all. CPO expires in February.
and we have a winner to the "solve my vibration issue" game. I believe the first person to mention the drive shaft was 525iEnjoy. Nice work!

After another $100 to straigthen the wheel, the problem was actually worse. My tech threw on 4 wheels and tires from another car at the dealership - no improvement. The final diagnosis is a drive shaft problem. The part is coming from Germany as we apeak, and I expect to have it replaced next week. CPO should cover it.

This has cost me a lot of time, money and anguish, but I think I'm coming to the finish line....
Old 09-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Members

What specific part are you getting replaced?
Old 09-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Members

My Ride: | 2006 550i | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport Package | 6-speed MT | Logic7 | NAV | CWP | Tan Dakota Leather | Stock 124s | 35% tint |

Originally Posted by StasGS4
What specific part are you getting replaced?
According to my SA, it is the right rear axle drive shaft.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

I have small vibration at 65 mph but it goes away at 60 and 70 mph. I'm take my car for some service to BMW dealer, I will ask them to check for vibration.
Another thing interesting, that is most problem with 550i. Does this model has different rear axle drive shaft?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

hey all,

looking for some advice on where to direct my mechanic.

I've had a slight vibration at ~70mph for the 2+ years I've owned my 550 sport. My rims (style 124) and suspension are bone stock. Initially I thought it was a bent wheel, and then I became convinced it was the tires. Decided to take the direct route - 4 new tires and had every wheel checked. One wheel had a slight bend at the lip, and I had a reputable local shop that does all of the work for the dealership repair it. All good I would think after a hefty expense. Not so. I still have the same vibration - mostly feel it throughout the car, not so much on the steering wheel.

I can only guess I have a bad suspension part. I've done many searches on this, and I can't find a list of possible causes for this problem. Everyone's vibration seems to be a bit different. I can't be back and forth to the mechanic every week, so I'm hoping the collective expertise here will help me to get in there once, check all potential causes and find the issue.

Thanks a lot.

So i just replaced my springs and shocks with aftermarket ones and to my amazement my vibration is GONE. Now my local dealer swore up and down that the vibration had nothing to do with my suspension but the fact is the vibration is gone. Not saying this will solve your problem but maybe you should have your mechanic do a THOUROUGH check of your suspension. My dealerships idea of a thourough inspection "well the shocks arent leaking so they appear to be in good shape"
Old 09-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

and we have a winner to the "solve my vibration issue" game. I believe the first person to mention the drive shaft was 525iEnjoy. Nice work!
axle (half) shaft and drive shaft are NOT the same thing. 525iEnjoy was talking about the driveshaft which connects the transmission to the differential. axle shafts rarely wear out or cause problems and given the number of people with vibration issues, I doubt a faulty axle shaft is the main cause. I am on board with worn out shocks/struts theory.

Quick Reply: vibration at 70 - looking for suggestions