E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

vibration at 70 - looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550 msport

OK! I was told its flat spots on the tires. Especially when the car sits overnight. Does your vibration go away at all?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Members

My Ride: | 2006 550i | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport Package | 6-speed MT | Logic7 | NAV | CWP | Tan Dakota Leather | Stock 124s | 35% tint |

Originally Posted by antoniom
OK! I was told its flat spots on the tires. Especially when the car sits overnight. Does your vibration go away at all?
Mine is definitely not flat spots. That issue will solve itself once the tires are warm. Mine doesn't go away.

To all - I appreciate all of the advice. I'm working with my tech to schedule time to get him to go through the checklist I've created from this thread. He works at the dealership, but he does work for me off the clock. I may have wait a few weeks to get a block of his time.

I will absolutely post the outcome. Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by grady
Finally got the 550 out of the garage today, and I tried this a few times on the highway. no impact from pressing the brakes at 75 or 80. Vibration lightens a bit, but it is still there.

53K on the odometer.
Originally Posted by umichchris
i have the same damn problem! ive had my 19s rebalanced twice now and the vibration is still there @ around 75mph. it drives me fucking nuts! i have a 545i 2004 w/ 55k miles on it...

the problem just came out of now where like 3 or 4 weeks ago and its literally driving me insane. no one in the detroit area has a fix for it. when i go to a tire or wheel shop those assholes only offer three suggestions to fix it....pay them to rebalanced it yet again, buy new wheels, buy new tires...

im trying to learn how to live with the vibrations....but it is too violent, the seats, the sunroof, everything shakes...except my steering wheel and i dont get any vibration in the pedals either. help!
Could be a wheel bearing? or the Bushings are severely torn? Warped rotors? possible drive shaft? Could be swaybar endlinks,upper strut mount( has rubber), coil spring isolater (rubber mat spring sits on)
Old 06-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy
Could be a wheel bearing? or the Bushings are severely torn? Warped rotors? possible drive shaft? Could be swaybar endlinks,upper strut mount( has rubber), coil spring isolater (rubber mat spring sits on)
i had same problem in the past 3 months... i switched wheels 3 times as well,i recently change my shocks
to koni yellows and boom! problem solved, no more vibrations even on high speeds

good luck to everybody and hopefully you guys be able to sort the shaking problems
Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535D M Sport Carbon Black, 172s, Boot spoiler, Tinted Glass, Media pack, Visabilty Pack, Hifi Upgrade, Electric memory heated Seats, Heated steering Wheel, Sport auto Trans,

Hi i was reading this with intrest and i was thinking shocks. as the last guy said he fitted new koni shocks problem solved. btw you can fit new oe or after market shocks you dont have to mod your car to fix it.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Ogg
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Logic 7 Navi 2002 M5 Reps Remus Exhaust

any update?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Members

My Ride: | 2006 550i | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport Package | 6-speed MT | Logic7 | NAV | CWP | Tan Dakota Leather | Stock 124s | 35% tint |

Originally Posted by Ogg
any update?
Hey guys - finally getting around to posting an update on this. My tech does work for me off-the-clock, so I had to wait until he had a weekend he could spend with the car. Here is the list I gave to hime to check:

o thrust rod bushing
o harmonic dampers
o tension strut
o wishbones
o guibo coupling
o carrier bearing
o CV joints on rear prop shafts
o control arm bushings
o wheel bearings
o warped rotors?
o swaybar endlinks
o upper strut mount
o coil spring isolator
o shocks

I asked him to start with a roadforce balance, and then begin checking the list. After the balance, he said the vibration was still clearly there. He could actually see the passenger seat and headrest vibrating slightly. He then did a visual inspection under the car on the rack, retorqued bolts and "shook down" everything. Still nothing. Only find was that one of the rear rims had a slight divot.

Next steps are to get the wheel guy to repair the divot and have the shop foreman test drive it.

If that doesn't solve it, I will have to take it in under my CPO and have them go to the next level - meaning pulling off parts, replacing things and likely checking the drivetrain.

I'd hate to think this is all because of a slight divot in my rim, but I'm sure that would be preferable to the CPO battle I'd be into next. Although I know that is better than no CPO at all. CPO expires in February.

Thanks again for all of the help. I'll give you guys an update next week.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Members

i have the same exact problem. it occures at 75 mph. It seems like e60s all have the same problems.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

The e39's had major problems with vibration, I really think it's wheel balancing but if you press the breaks and the vibration becomes more apparent, then it's bushing/control arms.
Mine also vibrates but I know it's the tires. Need to get them balanced.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

ask your mechanic to check for "cupping" in your tires. Its a long shot but it may be the cause of your vibrations. It was "cupping" that caused my vibrations at 70mph-86mph.

Quick Reply: vibration at 70 - looking for suggestions