E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Update on the requests

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by skidster' date='Jul 30 2004, 05:59 AM
without arguing that i believe 3 flicks is enough for a lane change (and not only bmw thinks so - the mb's do the same)
but
never mind that

the uK and europe have a *lot* of roundabouts - and 3 flicks is perfect (sometimes wish it was 2) to indicate movement thru an RA
I think three blinks is usually enough but there are times when I want to begin the signal a bit early, etc. Don't forget, the drivers over here don't usually use signals much let alone pay attention to those of us who use signals.

Having a choice between 2-6 or something can't hurt too much, can it? They can always default it to 3 for the people who never mess with those types of settings.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having a choice between 2-6 or something can't hurt too much, can it? They can always default it to 3 for the people who never mess with those types of settings.
I agree, I think many would benefit if a variable range was offered. Whilst I can see how 3 clicks would be useful on roundabouts, 3 clicks are not enough for many other manouvres (for me, at least).

I do alot of motorway driving and I estimate that around 8 clicks are required for a smooth, controlled lane change, giving good notice to other drivers. On a 300 mile motorway trip, I might change lane/overtake 50+ times. This feature would come in very handy in those circumstances.

A variable range would allow everyone to adjust it to their own personal preference.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by PhilS' date='Aug 4 2004, 08:36 AM
I do alot of motorway driving and I estimate that around 8 clicks is required for a smooth, controlled lane change, giving good notice to other drivers. On a 300 mile motorway trip, I might change lane/overtake 50+ times. This feature would come in very handy in those circumstances.
That's pretty much the same reason I think a couple more blinks would be a good idea...
Old 08-04-2004, 05:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

things i would like to see in idrive:

functionality to create shortcuts or configure main menu

after startup and when accepting warning, the screen returns to the last screen used before shutdown

be able to enter NAV destinations by NAME

be able to change colors

be able to configure what order items appear in screens..for example: entertainment: FM WB CD (source selection) could be moved from the top bar to the lower bar
Old 08-04-2004, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by ethanbmw' date='Aug 4 2004, 07:28 AM
things i would like to see in idrive:

functionality to create shortcuts or configure main menu

after startup and when accepting warning, the screen returns to the last screen used before shutdown

be able to enter NAV destinations by NAME

be able to change colors

be able to configure what order items appear in screens..for example: entertainment: FM WB CD (source selection) could be moved from the top bar to the lower bar
Some of the super config stuff would be nice, but I don't think that the input mechanism that we have, i.e. the iDrive "puck" really isn't too well suited for that. Now if there were an interface that we could use (i.e. USB or Firewire, or even RS232 serial) to transmit information from a companion PC-based application, like the skinning tools that some of the fancy programmable Home Theater remotes have, then I would be all for it, and you'd see tons of new skins within a matter of days, if not hours.

The two that I would _love_ to have that are also on your list are the iDrive returning to the last screen before shutdown and the ability to access NAV destinations by searching on their name.

That feature was in my 330 NAV, and I really liked it. I also like the "proximity" results, but it shouldn't be too much harder to give us the "alphabet" to navigate through the list as well. My 330 NAV data also had POI information like phone numbers for restaurants as well as ZAGAT guide reviews of restaurants. Where's that on the new E60 NAV system?

I would also like to see the Voice Recognition Speech to Text feature of the phone address book extended to the NAV system. At least allow us to choose NAV address book destinations by voice tag. Voice address entry would be way coo, too, but let's crawl before we walk.

I would also like to see a "glass" cockpit of sorts in the iDrive screen that would present a virtual gauge set of the charging system voltage, oil temp and pressure, coolant temp, etc. The car is watching all those variables already, it should be fairly trivial to build a UI to display that data as a set of analog gauges.

I would also like to see more information on the HUD, like callerid info from the phone, or new CD track/radio station info when I change those. You can already see Check Control messages on the HUD, so the realestate is there for them. Shouldn't be too tough.

-MrB
Old 08-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Some good and very interesting points MrBelk.
Some are really new and now that you've mentioned them... I WANT THOSE FEATURES !

Will make up a new list and those will be on there...
Old 08-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 4 2004, 01:34 PM
Some good and very interesting points MrBelk.
Some are really new and now that you've mentioned them... I WANT THOSE FEATURES !

Will make up a new list and those will be on there...
There is definitely an "upside" to having a multifunction display, and this is it: you can change the software to respond to user input without having to make any physical changes to the car; there's no "retooling" time to design new buttons or dash panels, etc, just the time to do the coding and testing.

They've already shown that they're not too afraid to change the UI, since they made some changes to the Climate section. The screen is capable of displaying television broadcasts, so color depth and resolution isn't an issue.

I certainly hope that your contacts within BMW are able to get some of these enhancements in place. If not for our cars, then maybe for the 2007 5xx that I will be getting.

Would it be possible to get release notes for all of the SW versions, so that we can be informed about the changes that are being made in the UI from one version to another?

Fingers crossed...
-MrB
Old 08-04-2004, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Aug 4 2004, 10:19 PM
Would it be possible to get release notes for all of the SW versions, so that we can be informed about the changes that are being made in the UI from one version to another?
Will ask for it...
Old 08-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Here's another one for you Iceman:

I'd like to be able to turn off the screen completely for night driving, by which I mean OFF - no backlighting whatsoever.

I have manged to get the levels to an acceptable level with a combination reducing the brightness offset in the settings menu, and the thumbwheel on the dash, but it would still be great to have it completely black imo.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Aug 5 2004, 11:03 PM
no backlighting whatsoever.
that was bothering me too, then I decided to leave it on...

Quick Reply: Update on the requests