E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Update on the requests

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 04:03 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd generally agree with you, Rudy, but I'd be willing to bet that getting a simple on/off feature for something like AS would be much more palatable to a development team than a user variable ratio.

We know that on works and off works - that's been tested fully and both are in production, assuming the hardware is the same, it'll work on the same car.

But for user variable ratio, now they have to go through design, testing potential adjustments, etc, etc and it becomes a complex process, plue then they will want to address the liability issues associated with the adjustability of something like steering.

Should we be making these requests simpler, in order to have more success in getting them considered, Iceman, or will the design team actually look at them and make compromises as necessary?
Old 10-19-2004, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by John W' date='Oct 20 2004, 02:03 AM
Should we be making these requests simpler, in order to have more success in getting them considered, Iceman, or will the design team actually look at them and make compromises as necessary?
[snapback]46848[/snapback]
Don't worry about simple or not.
Everything gets to the development teams. They read it all. When I translate it, it gets as simple as possible...
Old 10-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by John W' date='Oct 19 2004, 08:03 PM
I'd generally agree with you, Rudy, but I'd be willing to bet that getting a simple on/off feature for something like AS would be much more palatable to a development team than a user variable ratio.

We know that on works and off works - that's been tested fully and both are in production, assuming the hardware is the same, it'll work on the same car.

But for user variable ratio, now they have to go through design, testing potential adjustments, etc, etc and it becomes a complex process, plue then they will want to address the liability issues associated with the adjustability of something like steering.

[snapback]46848[/snapback]
I hear you but since the system is already variable and controlled by an electronic servo motor, why couldn't they simply grab a few "index points" from the motor to lock in a few settings? Sure, you can simply ask for an off switch but in that case, the ratio defaults to some middle of the road (no pun intended) setting. How hard could it be to have three or four pre-determined settings that you simply choose on the iDrive screen?
Old 10-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John W' date='Oct 19 2004, 02:34 PM
I submit/second these:

1.? Active Steering on/off - probably needs to be a button like DSC on/off

2.? Gradual volume increase on radio on/unmute.? The wife's Chevy has it - the volume comes up slowly, and doesn't just go "BAM!"

3.? Tie auto-headlights to wipers.? If wipers are on, and headlights are in Auto mode, turn em on.

4.? Seat belt chime whiel moving disable, or goes off after a few seconds.

5.? Show me what gear I'm in while in DS mode in Step.? Like DS1, DS2, etc, so I know where I'll end up when I go to Manual.

6.? Real tire pressure monitor, instead of FTM.? I'd like to be reminded that all four are low.

7.? Have garage door opener have power without ignition on - see also wife's Chevy - nice feature.
[snapback]46782[/snapback]
Number 6 is cost effectiveness. Current FTM just monitors how much pressure drop since the last reset and gives out a signal. If BMW uses the real time pressure monitor, cost will go up for them. Just imagine that, for example, spending $3 over the current FTM and multiply it just by a million, you're taking about another $3M cost here just for the part, and not including engineering integration time unless BMW will charge us more for this option like $150 or so.

I don't agree with number 7. Sometimes you park your car outside overnight, and you want garage door opener have power without key-on?
Old 10-19-2004, 05:03 PM
Members

I would like to see the turn signal arrows in the HUD display. With HUD I rarely look at the instruments below anymore, but I still have to look there to verify that they stopped after a wider turn. People sometimes don't realize they're on, but seeing them in the HUD would really help.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Oct 19 2004, 06:35 PM
[quote name='John W' date='Oct 19 2004, 02:34 PM']I submit/second these:

1.? Active Steering on/off - probably needs to be a button like DSC on/off

2.? Gradual volume increase on radio on/unmute.? The wife's Chevy has it - the volume comes up slowly, and doesn't just go "BAM!"

3.? Tie auto-headlights to wipers.? If wipers are on, and headlights are in Auto mode, turn em on.

4.? Seat belt chime whiel moving disable, or goes off after a few seconds.

5.? Show me what gear I'm in while in DS mode in Step.? Like DS1, DS2, etc, so I know where I'll end up when I go to Manual.

6.? Real tire pressure monitor, instead of FTM.? I'd like to be reminded that all four are low.

7.? Have garage door opener have power without ignition on - see also wife's Chevy - nice feature.
[snapback]46782[/snapback]
Number 6 is cost effectiveness. Current FTM just monitors how much pressure drop since the last reset and gives out a signal. If BMW uses the real time pressure monitor, cost will go up for them. Just imagine that, for example, spending $3 over the current FTM and multiply it just by a million, you're taking about another $3M cost here just for the part, and not including engineering integration time unless BMW will charge us more for this option like $150 or so.

I don't agree with number 7. Sometimes you park your car outside overnight, and you want garage door opener have power without key-on?
[snapback]46855[/snapback]
[/quote]

OK, I can see your point on these two. But, we are spending up already, so I do expect a bit more than I get with a Dodge Caravan. Like Xenons, etc, I'd prefer that we get upgraded equipment over the standard. Personally, I would have paid $100 or so for a real tire monitor, but I also understand that with RFs, the FTM is mandatory, so now we're talking about an automatic cost for evey car.

As it relates to cost, though, it's interesting that BMW is willing to look at adding new software features to a production model, at the same time they're chasing bugs. That's definitely a shift. It all used to be so easy. "You want a cupholder - we'll add it next year"
Old 10-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Add a power outlet in the center console so that you can charge the phone as it lays in the phone tray.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, titanium silver, grey leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Auto Trans, Moonroof, Xenon adaptive headlights

Iceman, you ARE an addict! I truly appreciate the time you are dedicating to enhance the experience for other BMW owners.

One question I continue to have and would LOVE for BMW to comment on this: there have been some very credible posts, and I have also been told my my dealer via their direct contact with BMWUSA, that MP3 capability will NEVER happen in 2004 models because of a hardware issue. Can you confirm that this is the absolute and final answer. I personally feel somewhat cheated by this. I downloaded the owner's manual BEFORE I ordered my bimmer, confirmed that MP3 capability was coming, AND I WANT IT. If you haven't done so already, would you mind communicating this concern to BMW HQ?

Thanks much, BILLYBOB
Old 10-20-2004, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

BILLYBOB, I've heard the same rumours. But it's still just a rumour and BMW will never comment anything.
They are still working on this MP3 problem, and I can tell you that if this is a fact, and we can't play MP3's with the new software (once it's released), my CD player will magically break and needs to get replaced with a new one (what can play MP3's...
I will forward this again (I allready did and got no answer) and keep my fingers crossed...

The arrows in the HUD I allready had on one of the previous lists, as well as the gear indicator...
Old 10-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Senior Members

Has anyone got the extended input into the glovebox yet and tried their MPS player?