E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Three Pedals FTW!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Krozi
CDV Delete is really easy and simple...but I hear that people can burn up their clutches if they don't shift right...
Been meaning to revive this

So tell me again, how does the CDV work and why would the clutch burn up if you do a delete?

From what I have read, CDV is largely an unnecessary part that delays the application of the clutch. From what I can figure out - and this is really where things get blurry for me - CDV works when you "drop" the clutch by delaying the application of the clutch. In real life though, it seems to only get in the way when you want to shift quicker, by intervening and delaying the "clutching". So what you are saying is deleting the CDV will burn the clutch faster because it would result in more wear to the clutch? I shift sloppy sometimes in daily driving - I don't wanna burn the clutch by accidentally dropping the clutch in traffic or not rev-matching or smth
Old 10-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by v_therussian

So tell me again, how does the CDV work and why would the clutch burn up if you do a delete?

From what I have read, CDV is largely an unnecessary part that delays the application of the clutch. From what I can figure out - and this is really where things get blurry for me - CDV works when you "drop" the clutch by delaying the application of the clutch. In real life though, it seems to only get in the way when you want to shift quicker, by intervening and delaying the "clutching". So what you are saying is deleting the CDV will burn the clutch faster because it would result in more wear to the clutch? I shift sloppy sometimes in daily driving - I don't wanna burn the clutch by accidentally dropping the clutch in traffic or not rev-matching or smth
Yea I'm not too sure about this...that's just what I heard a while ago...not quite sure about the physics behind it.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F10 M-Sport
Model Year: 2014

Actually the CDV delete was the 1st planned mod for my E60 back when i first got the car. I had researched the Mod, chosen a vendor, etc...
20+ mods later - still no CDV delete
Old 10-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by v_therussian

The risk isn't "burning the clutch" with the CDV delete, the issue is simply the potential for excess drivetrain shock, and therefore the risk of stuff breaking, if you're constantly doing 6k clutch drops in your $70,000 worth of fine German engineering. As you say, clutch slippage, and therefore clutch wear, will likely be somewhat less under many driving situations with the CDV valve removed. I'm a strong supporter of getting rid of it - made a noticeable difference in the way my car shifts and feels. That said, if you loan your car to someone else who likes to impersonate John Force while driving your car, I'd recommend leaving it in.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I hope you guys know that in today's modern cars this technique is absolutely unnecessary. The heel and toe technique was born out of necessity before transmissions had syncros. If you want to do it just for the fun of it or for nostalgia's sake, fine, but modern cars will probably experience less wear by not using the technique.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
I hope you guys know that in today's modern cars this technique is absolutely unnecessary. The heel and toe technique was born out of necessity before transmissions had syncros. If you want to do it just for the fun of it or for nostalgia's sake, fine, but modern cars will probably experience less wear by not using the technique.
Only if you're bad at it.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:35 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

At last a sensible comment.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by KAF
At last a sensible comment.

Both of you don't know what you're talking about.
You mean double clutching.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i 6mt, Titanium Silver, Sport Package, Winter Package

Ok so. Just throwing it out there. Why do the E60 545/550 clutches have such a soft pedal feel? I feel like I don't feel the clutch engaging so when doing a spirited launch I tend to burn more clutch and clutch engages too instantly with out a gradual engagement. I hope I am describing this right. Anyway in comparison, I previously owned a 350hp Nissan 240sx with a competition stage 5 clutch. Very heavy pedal feel but very predictable when clutch engages. Ok well enough said.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by jm545i
The risk isn't "burning the clutch" with the CDV delete, the issue is simply the potential for excess drivetrain shock, and therefore the risk of stuff breaking, if you're constantly doing 6k clutch drops in your $70,000 worth of fine German engineering. As you say, clutch slippage, and therefore clutch wear, will likely be somewhat less under many driving situations with the CDV valve removed. I'm a strong supporter of getting rid of it - made a noticeable difference in the way my car shifts and feels. That said, if you loan your car to someone else who likes to impersonate John Force while driving your car, I'd recommend leaving it in.
So the only way to damage is mis-matching rpms, basically? Like dropping the clutch from 0 at high rpm etc? What about a mis-matched shift during highway driving? Or during track driving?

Heel and toe is every bit as necessary as you say it is not. It all depends on how you drive, but even with rev-matching from the car, I rev-match way quicker and know what I need to do better than the car does. That's the reason we drive a manual. What did you think, we got it for fuel economy?

Originally Posted by Krozi
Both of you don't know what you're talking about.
You mean double clutching.
Then there's that

Originally Posted by Bimmerchop69
Ok so. Just throwing it out there. Why do the E60 545/550 clutches have such a soft pedal feel? I feel like I don't feel the clutch engaging so when doing a spirited launch I tend to burn more clutch and clutch engages too instantly with out a gradual engagement. I hope I am describing this right. Anyway in comparison, I previously owned a 350hp Nissan 240sx with a competition stage 5 clutch. Very heavy pedal feel but very predictable when clutch engages. Ok well enough said.
I'm pretty sure that the vague engagement is a problem that results from the clutch delay valve (CDV).

As for the light pedal - I actually like it. My friend has a 1999 M3 vert with a clutch as hard as a rock, and driving that thing is a PITA during anything, but the most spirited driving. I use my car to commute occasionally and drive it in city traffic, so having a lighter clutch pedal is actually great for me. Anyway, can't you calibrate it to an extent?

Quick Reply: Three Pedals FTW!