E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Three Pedals FTW!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I wanna give it up to all of you guys, who - like me - have cars with three pedals.

Let's use this thread for sharing our techniques and knowledge about the wonder that's the manual gearbox.

I'll start

Heel and toe downshift:

This is a racing technique and should NEVER be used outside of track conditions, unless you know what you're doing. Once you've had some practice and know how to do it just right though, there're not too many things in this world that are more fun.

The technique: when entering a turn, depress the clutch with your left foot and use you right foot to simultaneously slow the car down and rev-match the rpm's for the downshift. This sets you up for the most efficient exit out of the apex and will have you screaming WOOO-HOOO once you get it down. The "proper" way to do it is to brake with toes and rev-match with your heel, but this is something I actually find pretty hard to do in my E60 - maybe its the positioning of the pedals, or maybe its just me. But most times when I heel and toe, I simply hold my foot on both pedals, foot being upright, and rotate it to adjust brake and accelerator pressures. Other times I may brake with the heel and rev match with the toes. So basically I "improvise".

To practice this move safely, park you car, turn of your engine and start heel-n-toe'ing the crap out of it until you feel confident you can manage it smoothly in motion. You will not be able to do it the first time out - not likely - so don't despair if it doesn't come easy - its not supposed to. But do NOT use this technique in traffic and on public roads until you get it down - you can seriously screw up your day if you make a mistake, panic, etc... as a matter fact, if you tend to panic at the wheel, don't even attempt this!

As always, I assume no responsibility for idiots abusing the knowledge I'm sharing. This is strictly for those of you, who are REAL drivers.

Now, who else can share some manual transmission techniques?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

UH UH UH!!! i know i know i know. depress the clutch with your left foot and put the car into gear. depress the gas pedal to the floor and lift your left foot as if it was on fire!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

I know What you're talking about Vlad,now take this shit:

This is Walther Röhrl, IMHO the very best rallye driver on earth. I met him personally 3 years ago..
take a look at his heel'n'toe technique, it reminds me of a drummer playing double bass pedals

I have quite a lot respect to drivers who are able to use this style...

You need balls of steel!

Sometimes when the streets are empty and I'm alone in my car I use to break with left foot and accelerate with right foot, makes also hell of a fun!
..but I have the sports auto tranny, it revs automatically when I switch the gears down..

btw: How do I embed youtube videos in this forum?

Ivano
Old 08-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

WIth heel-and-toe, focus primarily on the brake pressure with your toe. Blip the throttle with the heel. Blip, then quickly downshift (using clutch). My sequence:

Brake
Blip throttle
Clutch in
Downshift
Clutch out
Brake release
Throttle (maintain or accelerate)
Old 08-19-2010, 04:31 AM
Contributors

3 Pedals? Whats that for?

DCT baby!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 05:08 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

It's actually a heal-two downshift! Hahahaha

I don't even know how I could misspell something that bad
But yea don't try it in traffic until you have it down....or you feet could get confused and ram into another car

I've been working on it for a while now and I can do it pretty well....just the rev match to 1st even at low speed is still iffy....

BTW, I can't stand people who don't rev match...my friend has been driving an E46 5spd for like 2-3 years now and he still can't shift for shit....he pops the clutch and THEN give's it gas....rev matching? Please. Everytime he does it there is a big clunk/thud and I'm just like "what the hell are you doing can't you feel you are raping your car??"

"What are you talking about? This is how I always drive..."

"I know!!"
Old 08-19-2010, 05:12 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by vkhong
WIth heel-and-toe, focus primarily on the brake pressure with your toe. Blip the throttle with the heel. Blip, then quickly downshift (using clutch). My sequence:

Brake
Blip throttle
Clutch in
Downshift
Clutch out
Brake release
You messed up the order a bit...

Blip goes after clutch in

Originally Posted by ivano
I know What you're talking about Vlad,now take this shit:

Walther Röhrl - rallye ace

btw: How do I embed youtube videos in this forum?
Click "insert media" all the way on the right in the attachments bar.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by Krozi
You messed up the order a bit...
Blip goes after clutch in
I stand corrected:
Brake
Clutch in
Blip throttle
Downshift
Clutch out
Brake release
Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 PM
ADD
Senior Members

I drive like this just about everyday. What's the point of a stick otherwise?
I never use the heel-toe. The pedals in the e60 are close enough that you should be able to just roll the ball of your foot on both brake and gas.

My brake pedal is actually only worn down on the right edge.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ivano
Walther Röhrl - rallye ace

This is Walther Röhrl, IMHO the very best rallye driver on earth. I met him personally 3 years ago..
take a look at his heel'n'toe technique, it reminds me of a drummer playing double bass pedals

Yep - surely one of the greatest drivers ever. He is Porsche's chief test driver, and is the guy who signs off on every new car they produce.

Quick Reply: Three Pedals FTW!