E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think BMW has any second thoughts about idrive?...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Based on what I read in this forum (unscientific I realise) it seems like about 50% of warranty visits to the dealer for the E60 are idrive or software related. I wonder when they look at what they are spending to maintain idrive under warranty if they are reconsidering dedicating so much of the car functionality to such a new and relatively untested application of this technology.

Personally I love it and have had no complaints or problems other than it being slower than it should.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Members

I love I-drive too and I think it's here to stay....it will only improve over time.

Don't you think BMW has some kind of arrangement with the supplier(s) of these componants should they fail or cause glitches? BMW Group must use an enormous amount of computer products througout it's operations. I would guess that if suppliers want to remain suppliers they have to compensate BMW for defects...whether directly or indirectly. Also, I bet the cost of hooking the car up to a computer and maybe downloading software is a lot cheaper than having a mechanic rebuild the engine or transmission...meaning the diagnostics have gotten so fast and new-age software issues are so easy to fix that BMW has lower repair costs in the end. OK...I'm just babbling now.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

BMW has no intention of gettin rid of Idrive! That would be like Bill Gates giving up on Windows after the first try and he still cannot get it to work all the time either
Old 07-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

I emphatically concur. Give it 5 years. You will not have mechanical recalls anymore. Only software updates. OK that may be a small exageration, but you get my point.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:38 AM
Senior Members

The i-drive is here to stay. Only something more technically advanced and eyecatching will replace it.

IMHO, its the software that is killing us and the BMW sales. The i-drive is revolutionary.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 550745540

Agree on iDrive. Good concept, poor execution. Still not the easiest to use even 'simplified' version on 5 series. But, it will get better both usability and reliability. Only had problems with nav portion in my current 7 (soon to be 5).
Old 07-19-2005, 04:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

emphatically concur. Give it 5 years. You will not have mechanical recalls anymore. Only software updates. OK that may be a small exageration, but you get my point.

BMW will ALWAYS have mechanical problems here and there. BMW isn't Lexus. They will never in a million years have such reliability with their vehicles.
BMW makes high-performance cars. High performance means high-maintenance.

That said, Lexus is not BMW. Try as they may, they will never make a car that drives like a BMW.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

if i-drive if so much hated by everyone, then how come when you look at the new MB s-class, it is almost an EXACT replica of i-drive.
i-drive rocks, its the bmw demographics that have to catch up to the concept me thinks.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:49 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Second thoughts, perhaps. Determination to continue with I-drive, absolutely.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:57 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by pipper' date='Jul 19 2005, 08:13 AM
if i-drive if so much hated by everyone, then how come when you look at the new MB s-class, it is almost an EXACT replica of i-drive.
i-drive rocks, its the bmw demographics that have to catch up to the concept me thinks.
[snapback]150648[/snapback]

It's the "me, too" syndrome prevelent in competitive business. Gotta do it, too, whether it's correct or not.

Quick Reply: Think BMW has any second thoughts about idrive?...