E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Think BMW has any second thoughts about idrive?...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550745540

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Jul 19 2005, 07:29 PM
[quote name='joebel' date='Jul 19 2005, 04:27 PM']I suspect most of us here own vehicles with iDrive which makes us somewhat biased. Having lived with iDrive for the past 2 1/2 years, I agree it's the way to go. But let's not kid ourselves, there's a lot of room for improvement. A few extra buttons for the top 5 most frequently used functions would go a long way to alleviating problems. For example, why do I (in my current '02 745i) have to go to iDrive to flip between AM and FM? Doesn't make sense. Yes, I know about the voice command but it's soooooo slow.
Overall, good concept but lot's of room for improvement. Would I want my next car to have iDrive? Wouldn't get one without it!!!
[snapback]150908[/snapback]
The current E60 allows you to switch from AM to FM or whatever via the steering wheel programmable buttons.
[snapback]150910[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, E65 is the same. That doesn't really address the problem.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Jul 19 2005, 06:29 PM
[quote name='joebel' date='Jul 19 2005, 04:27 PM']I suspect most of us here own vehicles with iDrive which makes us somewhat biased. Having lived with iDrive for the past 2 1/2 years, I agree it's the way to go. But let's not kid ourselves, there's a lot of room for improvement. A few extra buttons for the top 5 most frequently used functions would go a long way to alleviating problems. For example, why do I (in my current '02 745i) have to go to iDrive to flip between AM and FM? Doesn't make sense. Yes, I know about the voice command but it's soooooo slow.
Overall, good concept but lot's of room for improvement. Would I want my next car to have iDrive? Wouldn't get one without it!!!
[snapback]150908[/snapback]
The current E60 allows you to switch from AM to FM or whatever via the steering wheel programmable buttons.
[snapback]150910[/snapback]
[/quote]

Right - it's lightning quick too - I can hit the button rapidly 3 or 4 times and it cycles through the inputs with no lag at all.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Senior Members

iDrive ...

Concept = good.

Execution = not so good.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

i like the i-drive. The computer system is where the problems happen, not necessary the GUI. It's just the code is very faulty. Not enough beta testing. They're on version 18 already, that's not including all the .1 and .2s
Old 07-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Jul 19 2005, 07:16 PM
i like the i-drive. The computer system is where the problems happen, not necessary the GUI. It's just the code is very faulty. Not enough beta testing. They're on version 18 already, that's not including all the .1 and .2s
[snapback]150933[/snapback]

I don't know - it's remarkably good considering the scope of features it needs to contend with. Also, again... are we talking about gripes in iDrive or software bugs in other systems?
Old 07-20-2005, 03:43 AM
Members

I think a few more keys would be nice. The whole debate of using a mouse instead of a touchscreen applies here. Most other manufacturers are going the route of a touchscreen. I think it is a better user interface than the knob, but that's me. Computer screens to aceess the many functions cars have are here to stay. The knob (Idrive) is still debatable. I think a touchscreen is much better suited to consumer products. Try to input your password into your voicemail while driving using Idrive. It is a PITA absolutely...
Old 07-20-2005, 04:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 550745540

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Jul 19 2005, 08:16 PM
[snapback]150933[/snapback]
The CIP software packages are not just for E60 but all models. Some versions contain nothing new for E60. So the fact they're up to 18.x doesn't imply lots of bug fixes. A lot of code is is just fine but translates to odd behavior in real world. That's not necessarily a bug but points to fine tuning needed. What they really need is for programmers to see immediate impact of code changes. Of course, that's kind of difficult with a car.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Red's contention about speed of response is spot on. If u added buttons for some direct switch to another function, but it came at the same speed we have now u would have the same problem. All of us on Windows products experience that "not sure it recognized my input request" and so hit it again and again, the net result it tries to respond to each request. If we could get near immediate response to changes even through the iDrive knob it would be a huge breakthrough. Whether this takes processing power, bus speed inprovements, memory increase or any combination I don't know or care.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Jul 20 2005, 07:45 AM
Red's contention about speed of response is spot on.? If u added buttons for some direct switch to another function, but it came at the same speed we have now u would have the same problem.? All of us on Windows products experience that "not sure it recognized my input request" and so hit it again and again, the net result it tries to respond to each request.? If we could get near immediate response to changes even through the iDrive knob it would be a huge breakthrough.? Whether this takes processing power, bus speed inprovements, memory increase or any combination I don't know or care.
[snapback]151095[/snapback]

My non-Nav car has the response you are asking for, but I suppose the speed differences are already known between Nav and non-Nav implementations.

As for implementing a touchscreen - I feel this would introduce a placement compromise. I like the location of the iDrive screen, but it would be impossible to reach and touch easily while driving. It would have to be moved if it was an input device as well, which would likely draw the driver's eyes from the road.

I've posted before that I think the knob should be replaced with a small input pad that responds to programmable gestures. It would require a very high level of driver savvy to master, but would ultimately prove the most flexible and functional. This company makes keyboards and input pads that do what I'm describing.

http://www.fingerworks.com/

One of my friends has the keyboard. You can program it to respond to chords (multiple finger presses in a certain position), gestures (sweeping motions starting in a giving position and ending in a given postion), and other types of tapping. This allows for almost an infinite number of unique inputs from a faceless, flat surface that could permit direct access to any number of dedicated functions.

An article that helps clarify some of what I'm talking about:

http://wired.com/news/gizmos/0,1452,58978,00.html
Old 07-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Contributors

I drive is just the user interface. without it we would still have all the computers and computer related problems that ever high end car is prone too. in the last 6 years, I drive has come a long way, I expect it to continue to be refinded with each release

Quick Reply: Think BMW has any second thoughts about idrive?...