E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Think BMW has any second thoughts about idrive?...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Let's be honest, the gripes the press has with the interface isn't the video screen - it's the relative lack of direct button input for what they deem simple tasks. Many of the competing systems have more (and in my opinion redundant) buttons, which points to a fundamentally different view of these types of human interfaces. With that said, nearly all of these competing manufacturers are all members of the MOST Cooperative, which means the same universal standard lies underneath each brand's unique interface:

http://www.mostnet.de/index.php

The software issues are also often erroneously attributed to iDrive, when in fact iDrive is just our interface to a small subset of the underlying systems that are getting the code updates. You could tear the entire screen and knob out and still need the code for improving throttle response, getting rid of the transmission slam, getting back the angel eyes, fixing window behavior, etc...
Old 07-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Originally Posted by Berlin.BMER' date='Jul 19 2005, 07:35 AM
BMW has no intention of gettin rid of Idrive!? That would be like Bill Gates giving up on Windows after the first try ? and he still cannot get it to work all the time either
[snapback]150576[/snapback]
BMW do have a prototype iDrive replacement panel, due to concerns about those that won't buy an E60 with it.

I think iDrive is great. A pity the moron media people decide they hate it because they couldn't understand it within 5 seconds of using it (with their eyes closed). If my children can work it out within a minutes, how hard can it be!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Jul 19 2005, 02:18 PM
[quote name='Berlin.BMER' date='Jul 19 2005, 07:35 AM']BMW has no intention of gettin rid of Idrive!? That would be like Bill Gates giving up on Windows after the first try ? and he still cannot get it to work all the time either
[snapback]150576[/snapback]
BMW do have a prototype iDrive replacement panel, due to concerns about those that won't buy an E60 with it.

I think iDrive is great. A pity the moron media people decide they hate it because they couldn't understand it within 5 seconds of using it (with their eyes closed). If my children can work it out within a minutes, how hard can it be!
[snapback]150776[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, I guess the E90 will be the sales test bed that will either support such a move or demonstrate that having the choice isn't important. Even that data will be skewed for the purposes of judging the importance of iDrive to the buyer since it is coupled with the Nav option on the 3.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Jul 18 2005, 09:49 PM
Based on what I read in this forum (unscientific I realise) it seems like about 50% of warranty visits to the dealer for the E60 are idrive or software related. I wonder when they look at what they are spending to maintain idrive under warranty if they are reconsidering dedicating so much of the car functionality to such a new and relatively untested application of this technology.

Personally I love it and have had no complaints or problems other than it being slower than it should.
[snapback]150551[/snapback]
I Drive is not the problem. Its the software in the car.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Members

heh.... just because a car has a knob in the center console doean't mean anything..... you really think MB is going to run iDrive? it will be TOTALLY different.... aside from a simple knob....

Originally Posted by pipper' date='Jul 19 2005, 07:13 AM
if i-drive if so much hated by everyone, then how come when you look at the new MB s-class, it is almost an EXACT replica of i-drive.
i-drive rocks, its the bmw demographics that have to catch up to the concept me thinks.
[snapback]150648[/snapback]
Old 07-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Red
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i, US Spec, Premium, Nav, HUD, Comfort seats, CWP, Sport package, Rear side airbags. Produced Sep 06.

In my vast experience with I-drive...on several test drives...:-)

The issue isn't the input (I-drive itself). The two fundamental issues are software glitches and speed of operation.

I've had a lot of experience in flying new "computer driven" aircraft and we experienced the same type of computer software glitches. With operator feedback and company attention they do get better. The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is access and control to so many features and the ability to customize your entire driving experience.

As for speed, waiting on an input acknowledgment while driving (at high rates of speed and looking at the screen) is subjectively much more difficult than waiting on a webpage to load on your PC at your desk for example.

BMW could execute a quantum leap in user satisfaction by simply increasing processing speed or bus acces or whatever to make I-drive inputs and responses faster. With continued attention the SW glitches will improve over time.

My favorite Patton quote: "An average plan executed with vigor today is far superior to a perfect plan executed with mediocrity next month."
Old 07-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Titanium gray poplar l Sports package l Logic 7 l PDC NAV l sunshades l chromed 124's l ski bag l euro tint

i-drive is the future. Eventually it will do more than it does now but BMW needs to figure out the software glitches. I am a little disappointed in the speed of the processor running the show. I believe it could be much faster for the same costs since these things are prone to obsolescence. Shortly, we should be able to access the internet, pay bills, make dinner reservations, or whatever using i-Drive as the computer "mouse" while sitting in traffic all through satlink.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

the main problem with the freaking i-drive and why it has so many problems is because guess what it's runs microsoft software! now if only BMW would contact a someone esle let's say apple to make them a more visually appealing and more stable system i'm sure the number of software glitches would come down! Come on BMW people have been whinning about this forever switch already to OS X, i mean you already trying the iPod hookup thing why not go for the whole sha-bang!
Old 07-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 550745540

I suspect most of us here own vehicles with iDrive which makes us somewhat biased. Having lived with iDrive for the past 2 1/2 years, I agree it's the way to go. But let's not kid ourselves, there's a lot of room for improvement. A few extra buttons for the top 5 most frequently used functions would go a long way to alleviating problems. For example, why do I (in my current '02 745i) have to go to iDrive to flip between AM and FM? Doesn't make sense. Yes, I know about the voice command but it's soooooo slow.
Overall, good concept but lot's of room for improvement. Would I want my next car to have iDrive? Wouldn't get one without it!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by joebel' date='Jul 19 2005, 04:27 PM
I suspect most of us here own vehicles with iDrive which makes us somewhat biased. Having lived with iDrive for the past 2 1/2 years, I agree it's the way to go. But let's not kid ourselves, there's a lot of room for improvement. A few extra buttons for the top 5 most frequently used functions would go a long way to alleviating problems. For example, why do I (in my current '02 745i) have to go to iDrive to flip between AM and FM? Doesn't make sense. Yes, I know about the voice command but it's soooooo slow.
Overall, good concept but lot's of room for improvement. Would I want my next car to have iDrive? Wouldn't get one without it!!!
[snapback]150908[/snapback]
The current E60 allows you to switch from AM to FM or whatever via the steering wheel programmable buttons.

Quick Reply: Think BMW has any second thoughts about idrive?...