E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Think BMW has any second thoughts about idrive?...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Originally Posted by PabloR' date='Jul 20 2005, 07:43 AM
I think a few more keys would be nice. The whole debate of using a mouse instead of a touchscreen applies here. Most other manufacturers are going the route of a touchscreen. I think it is a better user interface than the knob, but that's me. Computer screens to aceess the many functions cars have are here to stay. The knob (Idrive) is still debatable. I think a touchscreen is much better suited to consumer products. Try to input your password into your voicemail while driving using Idrive. It is a PITA absolutely...
[snapback]151081[/snapback]
Easiest way to enter VM password is by using the telephone keypad found on your cell phone. Don't use I-drive for that; wrong tool for the job (IMO).
Old 07-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' date='Jul 20 2005, 04:27 PM
[quote name='PabloR' date='Jul 20 2005, 07:43 AM']I think a few more keys would be nice. The whole debate of using a mouse instead of a touchscreen applies here. Most other manufacturers are going the route of a touchscreen. I think it is a better user interface than the knob, but that's me. Computer screens to aceess the many functions cars have are here to stay. The knob (Idrive) is still debatable. I think a touchscreen is much better suited to consumer products. Try to input your password into your voicemail while driving using Idrive. It is a PITA absolutely...
[snapback]151081[/snapback]
Easiest way to enter VM password is by using the telephone keypad found on your cell phone. Don't use I-drive for that; wrong tool for the job (IMO).
[snapback]151260[/snapback]
[/quote]

In other systems with touchscreen (Jag comes to mind), the touch works as good as your phone's keypad, not having to fumble with the phone in my briefcase (that's the point of BT, isnt it?)

I truly think that for some things (like entering numbers and addresses), the idrive is the wrong interface. for others (like radio stations) it is perfect. I am sure they did many studies and they went with what they felt was the best compromise. I think it could be much better with both choices.

Pablo
Old 07-21-2005, 07:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi, premium package, premium sound, steptronic, bi-xenon adaptive lights, PDC, rear sun shade, rear heating, cold weather package.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jul 19 2005, 08:04 AM
emphatically concur. Give it 5 years. You will not have mechanical recalls anymore. Only software updates. OK that may be a small exageration, but you get my point.

BMW will ALWAYS have mechanical problems here and there. BMW isn't Lexus. They will never in a million years have such reliability with their vehicles.
BMW makes high-performance cars. High performance means high-maintenance.

That said, Lexus is not BMW. Try as they may, they will never make a car that drives like a BMW.
[snapback]150646[/snapback]
In my opinion. Lexus is not as reliable as people think.
From my previous ownership experience, they are not that reliable at all.
My ABS system died twice, power windows regulator blow, water pump leaks,
having a disc rotor issue since day one, and so on. Maybe I got a poor quality one, but the truth is that Lexus/Toyota is not that reliable, and my local dealer
were not that helpful too, their service attitude was bad......
Anyway, maybe I got a bad Lexus ES series, but one is enough....
Old 07-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by phototalk123' date='Jul 21 2005, 10:48 AM
[quote name='subterFUSE' date='Jul 19 2005, 08:04 AM']
emphatically concur. Give it 5 years. You will not have mechanical recalls anymore. Only software updates. OK that may be a small exageration, but you get my point.

BMW will ALWAYS have mechanical problems here and there. BMW isn't Lexus. They will never in a million years have such reliability with their vehicles.

That said, Lexus is not BMW. Try as they may, they will never make a car that drives like a BMW.
having a disc rotor issue since day one, and so on. Maybe I got a poor quality one, but the truth is that Lexus/Toyota is not that reliable, and my local dealer
[snapback]151592[/snapback]
[/quote]

Right. Just because Toyota doesn't issue recalls doesn't mean they don't break. I think if you did an informal poll of people who have never owned or driven a Mercedes Benz, they'd probably tell you that those cars are very reliable as well.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545A Dynamic Drive Pkg (Active Steering; Active Stabilization) Sport Pkg, Premium Sound, CD Changer, Rain sensor wipers, Red Rear reflectors

Originally Posted by phototalk123' date='Jul 21 2005, 09:48 AM
[quote name='subterFUSE' date='Jul 19 2005, 08:04 AM']

[snapback]151592[/snapback]
[/quote]

sorry to hear you are not as fortunate as other Lexus owners...

My wife's RX300AWD is holding up very well ...... no mechanical problem, only 1 broken cup holder, 1 puncture tire (beyond repair), and 2 leather seat covers that showed signs of cracking. They were all replaced under warranty. Plus no rattling noise... quiet and comfy as day 1. Brilliant traction control that has a warning tone in addition to flashing warning lights.

Good buying experience and after sale service. New tire and leather seat covers..... no complaints here. A good selection of loaner vehicles (you choose from RX300 and downwards to Toyotas... ) even for oil change !
Old 07-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Touch screens are less safe IMO. All nav systems/computer controls in a vehicle are ultimately best controlled by voice commands. My wife's car has a touch screen and I like it but I do find myself more distracted driving than with the idrive knob.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

My only concern with I drive is its long term reliability. I have been to the dealer twice with I drive problems which were resolved by software updates. This took 2 days on one occasion. It is fine when the car is under warranty, but what happens when the warranty expires, 2 days labour charge?.
If I keep the car I'll have to take out extended warranty to cover potentially expensive repairs. Or should BMW extend waranty on I drive beyond standard period, due to it being the least robust component of a fine car?.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:24 AM
Members

I also like i-drive but would suggest the following improvments
1. mini controller (similar to what you find on cellular telephones) on steering wheel
2. return to curved dashboard (to see display more easily without taking eyes off the road)
3. easier switching between in dash cd and 6 cd controller
Old 07-22-2005, 01:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

First of all, to be really effective, any touchscreen must be placed at an easy reach of your arm. You could not anymore have the monitor in upper part of the dash and that would be a pity, because I really like to have the capability of reading any information in my monitor just moving slightly my eyes to the right (or to the left, if you live in countries driving in the wrong way); that would impossible if your monitor is installed well below your eyes level.
Secondly, I greatly appreciate the fact that, with i-drive, i can operate my info-system very simply just putting my arm on the central armrest and play with the knob without moving back and forth my whole arm (very annoying, in a long journey).

So, IMO, i-drive is probably the best MMI device on the market. What I would like to see improved is not the hardware but the software: the operating system is not totally proof and it's generally quite slow. It's easy to use the i-drive knob to dial a phone number, the problem is that very often the software is slower than your hand and that is annoying and, sometimes, frustating.

At the of the day, IMO, very good hardware but a software package that could be vastly improved.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Red
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i, US Spec, Premium, Nav, HUD, Comfort seats, CWP, Sport package, Rear side airbags. Produced Sep 06.

Originally Posted by Lucky' date='Jul 22 2005, 11:27 AM
First of all, to be really effective, any touchscreen must be placed at an easy reach of your arm. You could not anymore have the monitor in upper part of the dash and that would be a pity, because I really like to have the capability of reading any information in my monitor just moving slightly my eyes to the right (or to the left, if you live in countries driving in the wrong way); that would impossible if your monitor is installed well below your eyes level.
Secondly, I greatly appreciate the fact that, with i-drive, i can operate my info-system very simply just putting my arm on the central armrest and play with the knob without moving back and forth my whole arm (very annoying, in a long journey).

[snapback]151823[/snapback]
Soooooo...if they changed the display of the HUD to reflect what was on the display screen (duplicated the image) then you could use the I-drive controller and never take your eyes off the road. Display can't be that difficult to project.