E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TCU needs replacing

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I may have a 2007 build TCU I'll part with for $240. PM me if interested.

Here's the skinny on BT folks. Early build E60's had TCUs with bluetooth modules. However, due to power and performance issues, the bluetooth functions were hardware disabled. Bluetooth functionality was standard in TCU builds 9/2004 onward I believe. If your TCU is built after this date, your dealer should be able to program and activate if it isn't already. Early build TCU's could have been replaced under manufacture warranty IF the customer complained to their SA about it and the car was still covered under the 4/50 plan. However, no current E60 qualifies, as the last of these cars with TCUs prior to 9/2004 should have passed their warranty periods by now (please verify this - I may be wrong on the builds). TCU's built between 03/2004 and 08/2004 may have been able to be software-activated by the dealer. TCU's prior to 03/2004 will need replacement. Hope this helps!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

i took the car to the dealer to have programming done for ECU and navigation. I was told although the TCU has bluetooth on it, it will not work for some reason or another. I don't really use bluetooth though ......and my iDrive menu for the SOS and so forth is different now. perhaps in the next few weeks I'll hook it up to the SSS/DIS/INPA laptop and check....I don't even remember my build date. lol
Old 12-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
i took the car to the dealer to have programming done for ECU and navigation. I was told although the TCU has bluetooth on it, it will not work for some reason or another. I don't really use bluetooth though ......and my iDrive menu for the SOS and so forth is different now. perhaps in the next few weeks I'll hook it up to the SSS/DIS/INPA laptop and check....I don't even remember my build date. lol
The TCU is pretty easy to get to. Look at the sticker on it. Or, if you still have the original paperwork, there should be a bluetooth card with the TCU sticker on it. The date code will be in dd.mo.yyyy format. That's the date you'll need to key on.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
The TCU is pretty easy to get to. Look at the sticker on it. Or, if you still have the original paperwork, there should be a bluetooth card with the TCU sticker on it. The date code will be in dd.mo.yyyy format. That's the date you'll need to key on.

Or just put the last 7 digits of your VIN into RealOEM.com and it'll tell you the build date and exact part # you need
Old 12-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

yea I know this. I've accessed the TCU long ago when i put the pro CCC in. Had to disconnect the blue fakra and find the hidden fakra in the wheel well to bridge the connection. I just don't remember what the part # was or build date. I'll hook up the laptop and check it out sometime soon. It's nice to have just in case but to be quite honest my Iphone is usually plugged into AUX and I just talk. The person can hear me and i hear them through speakers so it's all good.

Im not actually the OP, I was just responding to your post.