Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

US Bluetooth Retrofit

Old 05-31-2004, 12:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW posted new information on its dealer aftersale web site related to BT and US vehicles. The new information mentions that a new TCU has been installed on vehicles built starting March 04 production, it also shows a US part for a Bluetooth antenna to be connected to this new TCU. There is no mention yet of a retrofit to provide additional wiring and parts (BT Antenna, base for snap-in adapter...) but I would guess that this will be coming shortly. In Europe BMW has created several retrofit kits to install the BT kit on cars with pre wiring (3hours of labor) or without (8-9hrs of labor). I would guess that a US kit will be offered and will take about 3-4hrs of labor since US E60s have most of the prewiring required.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

I was looking over a new 5er at the dealer last week and peaked inside the tool kit box in the trunk. A plastic card fell out that referrenced set-up of bluetooth and start-up procedures (I think that what it was about). Could it be that they are starting to be retrofitable based on that notice you saw? or even that some maybe are ready to use with Bluetooth?
Old 05-31-2004, 12:50 PM
Members

The card that you saw comes with all E60s that have a TCU (US or European). Since the TCU has logic to deal with BT, BMW/Motorola provide the BT passkey (that is the code required to link a BT phone) with all vehicles. The presence of the card only means that you have a TCU that has BT logic, not that your car is BT ready (i.e. there is still missing wiring and parts like the BT antenna).
Old 05-31-2004, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Francois!

Great to see you posting here! A few days ago, on another thread, I was asking where you were!

Thanks for popping in over here. You've probably seen the additional traffic here due to the nonsense that's been going on over on RF.

Hope to see your truly informative posts here as often as you can!
Old 05-31-2004, 01:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fmusbmw' date='May 31 2004, 02:31 PM
BMW posted new information on its dealer aftersale web site related to BT and US vehicles. The new information mentions that a new TCU has been installed on vehicles built starting March 04 production, it also shows a US part for a Bluetooth antenna to be connected to this new TCU. There is no mention yet of a retrofit to provide additional wiring and parts (BT Antenna, base for snap-in adapter...) but I would guess that this will be coming shortly. In Europe BMW has created several retrofit kits to install the BT kit on cars with pre wiring (3hours of labor) or without (8-9hrs of labor). I would guess that a US kit will be offered and will take about 3-4hrs of labor since US E60s have most of the prewiring required.
Can anybody tell me more about an European Retrofit Bluetooth option avaible ? My E60 (with navi Pro) was produced in February, 2004, and I ordered the #640 Option (Preparation), but I haven't heard of any solutions so far.

Francois, can You help me out on this one ??

Regards,

Peter
Sweden
Love the car, but I'm missing Bluetooth and Voice Recognition...(the latter I ordered !)
Old 05-31-2004, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fmusbmw' date='May 31 2004, 02:31 PM
In Europe BMW has created several retrofit kits to install the BT kit on cars with pre wiring (3hours of labor) or without (8-9hrs of labor).
Hey Francois - Thanks for the great info! About this retrofit kit, do you know whether it is available yet in Europe and most importantly does it work with the Pro Nav system? Just another quick question, the pre wiring that you mentioned, is it the option called phone prep? I would love to know, cause I wanted to order it and my dealer told me that it was useless if I wanted to retrofit the bluetooth kit, so if you are saying that it reduces the install time then please let me know, would love to find this out!!!
Old 05-31-2004, 03:13 PM
Contributors

Great Info. I did ED on May 3 so my car was probably built after March 4. I was ready to try the V60 solution but would much rather wait for BT. Any idea when the complete information will be released?
Old 05-31-2004, 10:58 PM
Members

For JohanDC and for Peter

About this retrofit kit, do you know whether it is available yet in Europe and most importantly does it work with the Pro Nav system?
My E60 (with navi Pro) was produced in February, 2004, and I ordered the #640 Option (Preparation), but I haven't heard of any solutions so far.
The BMW documentation mentions that at this time the retrofit kit only work with cars with the M-ASK computer (i.e. without NAV). But the dealer installation instructions actually explain what steps will be necessary for cars built with the CCC computer (aka NAV option 609). This confirms that the problem between Nav and Bluetooth should be resolved through a software update.

Just another quick question, the pre wiring that you mentioned, is it the option called phone prep?

The upgrade Kit # 84 64 0 304 835 for cars built with option # 640 "Telephone Preparation"

The upgrade Kit # 84 64 0 304 834 for cars built without the option # 640 "Telephone Preparation"
Old 05-31-2004, 11:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Casper' date='May 31 2004, 05:13 PM
Great Info. I did ED on May 3 so my car was probably built after March 4. I was ready to try the V60 solution but would much rather wait for BT. Any idea when the complete information will be released?
Any idea when the complete information will be released?
My guess sometime between September and December 2004.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:00 AM
Members

FmusBMW,

Your right ... I've got the bluetooth retrofit kit and just waiting to get it installed ... dealer's computer just crapped out ... so have to wait for the software upgrade, then I should be in Bluetooth Business

Thanks for the post. On another level, do you have an heads up on the Automatic A/C issue? You can see this thread posted yesterday or so. Would appreciate any inputs ... cause I'm already thinking of upgrading my car (getting another one) cause no use living with something your not really happy with??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: US Bluetooth Retrofit