E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCU needs replacing

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i
Model Year: 2006

So last week I got a new Phone and could not get my bluetooth working from the car...
I had my SA look at it and he tried a reset in the car via the volume knob and both nav and cd knobs and it would not initialize!!! So he said drop it off and they will do some more research, well I got a call this morning
and it will need to be replaced for almost 600.oo not covered under CPO warranty which I just started two weeks ago!!! HA HA Merry fn Xmas to me!!!
Any ideas would be great is it hard to DIY has any one ever tried this?
Thanks, Alex
Old 12-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

In my opinion not worth it to replace but it may be something else is wrong too .......BMW Dealers do not really troubleshoot they just replace. Disconnect battery for a few hours (3-4) look at the TCU to make sure all cables are seated correctly first. Don't think about replacing until you know for sure that it's a TCU problem. Just because there is no sync doesn't mean it's a dead end. Have you ever had any other syncing problems with other devices? Of course. We all have.

So reboot the car and make sure all is nice and tightly seated.

Tell us about the car. Did it sync before? When did problem occur? How do you know its the TCU and not your phone? What kind of phone? Does it work elsewhere? Have you tried in a new BMW at the dealer? Load us with info!

BTW if it's two weeks out of warranty they should be able to do a courtesy comp. If not, contact BMW NA.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

You might be able to find a used TCU and a DIY for the install, but then you will need to have the car reprogrammed.

I'm proably wrong, but I thought bluetooth only became available for LCI models.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

No, bluetooth is stardard for NA cars after 2006.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Euronuts
So last week I got a new Phone and could not get my bluetooth working from the car...
I had my SA look at it and he tried a reset in the car via the volume knob and both nav and cd knobs and it would not initialize!!! So he said drop it off and they will do some more research, well I got a call this morning
and it will need to be replaced for almost 600.oo not covered under CPO warranty which I just started two weeks ago!!! HA HA Merry fn Xmas to me!!!
Any ideas would be great is it hard to DIY has any one ever tried this?
Thanks, Alex
I'm not sure what you mean, "CPO warranty which I just started two weeks ago ... " If your car was covered by the manufacturer's 4yr/50K warranty until just two weeks ago, unless your miles are way past 50K, BMWNA should be contacted and asked to cover the cost of parts and labor for this issue.

There is a little known 'hidden warranty' most manufacturers work with that covers situations just like this or worse and handled on a case by case basis. Someone posted a BMW bulletin with that information recently.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka
You might be able to find a used TCU and a DIY for the install, but then you will need to have the car reprogrammed.

I'm proably wrong, but I thought bluetooth only became available for LCI models.
I've had BT on my BMWs since my 2001 740i;
Old 12-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
No, bluetooth is stardard for NA cars after 2006.

2005. my 10/2004 build car has it. not sure if it required the premium package on the 6 cylinder cars though.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by 545felix
2005. my 10/2004 build car has it. not sure if it required the premium package on the 6 cylinder cars though.
I am not sure if Premium pkg is required, but my car has both BT and Premium pkg. Mine is an 01/2005 build
Old 12-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i
Model Year: 2006

Thanks for the replys everyone...
"AchtungE60"
I will try that...So when I purchased the car I was not able to sync my then phone and figured it was my phone and it would not work. Now I have the new Windows phone which works in my friends E60 no problem!!! but in my car it will not and the activate window in I drive is stuck "on" and will not turn off, but still will not connect. So im thinking the problem persisted when I was under my normal 4 yr warranty and now im in the 2 yr cpo which will not cover it!
I will be going to the place of purchase to see if they will help me out, They better!!!

"Luigi524td"
Yeah I just ended my 4yr and now in the 2yr cpo with only 31k miles which does not cover electrical...
So yes I will go back to original purchase dealer and try to get work done their COVERED I hope!!

Thanks Guys, Alex
Old 12-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

+1 on the car reboot.

I will have a TCU unit available here in the near future I planned to sell for a couple hundred. Look me up if you decide to pick one up.

Quick Reply: TCU needs replacing