E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Starter Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 05:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Good morning, sir!

Yes, this thin air (?) hose is connected from the top part of the oil separator to the outside, bottom part of the intake manifold.

Originally Posted by pcy
Here is the picture of the thin hose I was referring to...
Old 11-24-2013, 06:29 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

About that water pump electronics error... let's check if the water pump is working.

Go thru bleeding process (just to check if the water pump is indeed working).
Insert key in ignition, turn to position 2, set the heat to highest setting, set to 'auto' temp, set the fan setting to lowest setting, then press and hold the gas pedal for about 10 seconds. You should hear the water pump run. You should hear coolant flowing thru the hoses and coolant reservoir.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

Regarding to pic 2 of 2, can you confirm if that is for an electric wire connector? Where doe the other end of "that electric wire" connect to? I am asking because there is another electric wire connector that has the very similar size, color and shape in that very near proximity. In summary, there are only three items (two electric wires and the vent hose) that need to be connected under the intake manifold, right?

Did you connect the electric wire of the connecting line (top hose) to the 4th connector? And the return line (bottom hose) to the 3rd connector?

Thank you SO MUCH for helping this frustrated guy!!!

Originally Posted by pcy
Rear of the intake manifold looks slightly different (rear DISA valve area). Red arrow on the second picture shows the connector. I put a sticky note on the connector with scotch take on it to remind me which wire goes there.

There are 4 connectors on the oil separator. One wire comes from the oil separator itself, second one goes to the harness bundle, 3rd and 4th ones connect to the oil separator hoses.

There is a thin hose that connects from above the intake manifold to the the intake elbow (just before throttlebody). Did you connect that?
Old 11-24-2013, 06:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

I did the procedures as you suggested. I could hear it running while feeling the water movement from the upper radiator hose. I took observation of this for about two minutes. Do I still need to crawl under the car to inspect the water pump connection?

Originally Posted by pcy
About that water pump electronics error... let's check if the water pump is working.

Go thru bleeding process (just to check if the water pump is indeed working).
Insert key in ignition, turn to position 2, set the heat to highest setting, set to 'auto' temp, set the fan setting to lowest setting, then press and hold the gas pedal for about 10 seconds. You should hear the water pump run. You should hear coolant flowing thru the hoses and coolant reservoir.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:53 AM
pcy
Senior Members

On the back of the manifold, there is a junction of 4 electrical connectors. Out of those 4 -
one goes to oil separator (with a short wire),
one goes to the oil separator hose that goes to valve cover
one goes to the oil separator hose that goes to oil pan (return hose)
one connects to the wire that comes from the harness (bundle of wires on the bottom of manifold). I think you are missing this one. I circled this one red in the picture below.

There is one electrical connector (in the picture I posted earlier) behind the manifold in to the DISA valve right next to the hose that connects from oil separator. I think you connected this.

Based on my understanding, you have everything is connected. You got oil separator connected to hoses, but all those need to be tied to the engine harness - that is what you are missing.
Attached Thumbnails Starter Problem?-dsc00900_r.jpg  
Old 11-24-2013, 06:57 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60I
I did the procedures as you suggested. I could hear it running while feeling the water movement from the upper radiator hose. I took observation of this for about two minutes. Do I still need to crawl under the car to inspect the water pump connection?
Sounds like the water pump is working.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Members
Senior Members

That square-ish shaped box for the connectors was my biggest concern from the start because all four connectors look the same. I made sure all four connectors are plugged and currently they are. In the order of #1 to #4 (4 being the bottom connector where the oil separator is connected), #3 goes to the harness, #2 goes to the oil pan and #1 (the top connector) goes to the valve cover hose. Please read this carefully and kindly confirm if the order are correctly connected. Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by pcy
On the back of the manifold, there is a junction of 4 electrical connectors. Out of those 4 -
one goes to oil separator (with a short wire),
one goes to the oil separator hose that goes to valve cover
one goes to the oil separator hose that goes to oil pan (return hose)
one connects to the wire that comes from the harness (bundle of wires on the bottom of manifold). I think you are missing this one. I circled this one red in the picture below.

There is one electrical connector (in the picture I posted earlier) behind the manifold in to the DISA valve right next to the hose that connects from oil separator. I think you connected this.

Based on my understanding, you have everything is connected. You got oil separator connected to hoses, but all those need to be tied to the engine harness - that is what you are missing.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:27 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Notice in the picture I posted earlier, I have labeled the wire that's coming from the harness as #1.

Picture below shows the way I connected (that's how they were when I disconnected them).
Attached Thumbnails Starter Problem?-dsc00880_r.jpg  

Last edited by pcy; 11-24-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

Pcy,

So there is no misunderstanding, can you please open the attachment and simply say yes or no to the following question:

Based on the color codes, do the following colors match to the right part?

Red = oil separator unit
White = the harness to the bottom of the engine where all the wires are bundled up
Blue = Hose to the oil pan (bottom hose)
Green = Hose to the valve cover (top hose)

Thank you for dealing with my stressed out and frustrated situation!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Starter Problem?-oil-separator-connector.jpg  
Old 11-24-2013, 07:51 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Those DO NOT match with what I have.

The connector with green arrow (in your picture) is connected to the harness.

Quick Reply: Starter Problem?