E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Starter Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i
Default Starter Problem?

Subject: 2006 BMW 530i (N52 Engine).

VIN: CM30564

Milleage: 81,678

Issue: Car does not make any sound when the key is turned to start the engine. All lights on dashboard appear to be on as normal. The same problem happened three days ago and luckily got car started on the second attempt.

Questions: Can it be the starter? If not, what should I look or do to fix the problem?

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Thank you for taking the time to read this. All replies and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Also, if the problem is the starter, which of these websites would you buy the starter:

BMW Parts and BMW Accessories | Bavarian Autosport
$218.95 price include $60 refundable core charge

2006 BMW 530i Parts - getBMWparts.com - Exceptional Pricing | Unparalleled Service | Genuine BMW Parts
$341.69

2006 BMW 530i Parts - Direct BMW and Mercedes Parts and Accessories
$314.82

I found this link and the OP appears to have experienced the same symptom. Is it safe to just replace the starter without doing further research?
530i won't start. Not a battery problem but what? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Old 11-10-2013, 02:27 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Very likely starter is the problem.

One way to diagnose this problem is to power the start directly via a jumper wire and see if the starter engages.

Starter replacement will require you to remove the intake manifold. It's not a bad DIY project.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is always a risk to start throwing parts at a problem before you have fully diagnosed the cause.

There are two parts to the starter assembly: The solenoid and the starter motor. The solenoid can fail, but it is not as common as brush failure, bearing failure or winding failure in the starter motor. If the solenoid is operating you should hear a solid "click" as the solenoid pulls the starter motor into the teeth on the fly wheel and engages the contacts to deliver voltage to the starter motor. If the solenid is failing you will usually at least hear a fluttering noise, but sometimes nothing.

If you hear the solenoid click and the starter motor doesn't crank you can try to jar the starter motor (whack with a hammer or poke with a stick) which sometimes jars the brushes in to contact with the stator and will start the motor cranking.

Dead silence can mean that some other part of the circuit is preventing voltage from reaching the solenoid, and if this is the case replacing the starter/solenoid assembly would be a waste of money and time.

As pcy suggests you can either apply voltage to the motor itself or contact the solenoid terminal while turning the key to see if voltage is reaching the solenoid.

When you decide to buy this is the best price I have seen, with free shipping.
BMW*323*Starter from CarPartsWarehouse
Old 11-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

Pcy,

Thanks for the info!

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, do I need to remove the intake manifold to power the start directly?

To power the start directly, can I use one of these portable jump starters: 3-in-1 Jump-Start / Air Compressor

Originally Posted by pcy
Very likely starter is the problem.

One way to diagnose this problem is to power the start directly via a jumper wire and see if the starter engages.

Starter replacement will require you to remove the intake manifold. It's not a bad DIY project.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Members
Senior Members

BimmerFan52,

Thanks for a well written explanation and education!

Since my car has so many mileage already, I think I am going to chance it and replace the starter anyways. There are three starters to pick from your recommended website, which one would you pick and why? I think I am going to get the new one (part# 30-00180AN) and not have to return the core.

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
It is always a risk to start throwing parts at a problem before you have fully diagnosed the cause.

There are two parts to the starter assembly: The solenoid and the starter motor. The solenoid can fail, but it is not as common as brush failure, bearing failure or winding failure in the starter motor. If the solenoid is operating you should hear a solid "click" as the solenoid pulls the starter motor into the teeth on the fly wheel and engages the contacts to deliver voltage to the starter motor. If the solenid is failing you will usually at least hear a fluttering noise, but sometimes nothing.

If you hear the solenoid click and the starter motor doesn't crank you can try to jar the starter motor (whack with a hammer or poke with a stick) which sometimes jars the brushes in to contact with the stator and will start the motor cranking.

Dead silence can mean that some other part of the circuit is preventing voltage from reaching the solenoid, and if this is the case replacing the starter/solenoid assembly would be a waste of money and time.

As pcy suggests you can either apply voltage to the motor itself or contact the solenoid terminal while turning the key to see if voltage is reaching the solenoid.

When you decide to buy this is the best price I have seen, with free shipping.
BMW*323*Starter from CarPartsWarehouse
Old 11-11-2013, 04:37 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60I
Pcy,

Thanks for the info!

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, do I need to remove the intake manifold to power the start directly?

To power the start directly, can I use one of these portable jump starters: 3-in-1 Jump-Start / Air Compressor

There are gaps in the intake manifold to allow for the wire to be inserted; however, you need to be careful.

Given the mileage of the vehicle, and given that this is known part that fails, if I were you, I'd go ahead and replace the starter.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

Pcy,

I found the link to the impressive job you did. Awesome, man!
preventive maintenance on N52 - starter replacement - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

From what I read (line #15 of the link above), it looks like you didn't have to remove the intake manifold to replace the starter.

I think I am going to take that route and fix what's broken only for now. If you don't mind, would you please specify which tools (sizes) I would need to complete the job? I have a 200-PC Craftsman Mechanic tool set from Sears, will that be enough to do the job? Also, do I need to replace the intake manifold "gaskets" if I only move it aside just to get more room to replace the starter?

Thanks again for helping me prepare for the work!

Originally Posted by pcy
There are gaps in the intake manifold to allow for the wire to be inserted; however, you need to be careful.

Given the mileage of the vehicle, and given that this is known part that fails, if I were you, I'd go ahead and replace the starter.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:31 PM
pcy
Senior Members

I recommend you replace the intake manifold gaskets when you putting back the manifold. That gasket set is not that expensive.

You can replace the starter without removing the intake manifold completely. You will need to remove the bolts and nuts that hold the manifold, disconnect some of the wiring harness, then you can access the starter. You may need a helping hand to pull the manifold towards the fender [and hold it there] while you remove the starter bolts.

Even just to move the manifold aside, you will need to disconnect the oil separator hose at the valve cover (near the firewall).
Remember to disconnect the battery negative terminal before trying to remove the starter cable.

As for the tools, you will need torx bits set. Other than that, there are no special tools needed.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Members
Senior Members

Pcy,

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Including the set of gaskets, $497 worth of parts for the car were ordered today. I am going to take everything apart and change the oil separator with three new hoses that go with it.

I tried turning the car on again tonight and I couldn't hear a single sound coming from the engine nor starter. I am worried about replacing the wrong parts and wasting time.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:31 AM
New Members

My Ride: White F10
Model Year: 2014
Default starter

I had to have mine replaced at 73,000miles. It sounds like the starter is the culprit of your misery.Goodluck .

Quick Reply: Starter Problem?