E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

some questions regarding buying an E60

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wynnsayz
btw, I'm worried about buying a CPO with only 2 years of CPO warranty. What are my options when CPO warranty expires?
good question. i'm not sure if they allow an extension...

i was in the same boat as you. i ended up getting a car in june and my 530i is just now about to roll over 50k miles and hence initiate the CPO warranty. i've had a LOT fixed under the warranty, too, so i am very glad i got the car still under factory warranty. so far i've had these things replaced under warranty ($0):

1. VANOS solenoid
2. camshaft sensor
3. navigation computer
4. AUX input
5. sunroof seal
6. radiator hose
7. radiator
8. software

oddly enough, before these things my car had a very clean bill of health with only a cd player being replaced and no engine malfunctions.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

yeah i can explain it. i have a bmw v8 engine with 42k miles on it. and at times the valvetrain sounds like its going to grenade. i think its absurd that an engine can end up like that with only 42k miles on it. i expect a modern engine to last 200k with proper maintenance. sorry if my post offended you, but i'm a little upset about the durability of this overcomplicated valve arrangement. if i had done MY research and seen drawings of this arrangement i would not have touched the car. i just wanted a nice car with a v8 and manual trans (no more automatics), that was about the limit of my research, its my own fault.

my wife has an audi a8 4.2 with over 130k, still the quietest and smoothest engine i've ever seen. i just assumed the bmw would be the same, one german v8 is as good as another right.......apparently not. although the audi trans broke at 80k, hence my requirement for a manual trans.

valve clack is a distant early warning of very bad things to come in most cases. maybe it is just a characteristic of these engines and will not be a major problem.

there are valve tick posts coming up here once a month, i don't think its isolated to v8's. do you really think that's a minor problem? i hope my luck with bmw engines turns out to be as good as yours.

Originally Posted by betelgeuse
Can you explain this remark. I did a lot of research on the e60 before I bought one (2007 530xi). The only valvetrain problem I came across was the exhaust lifters ticking on some cars. The most problems are with the 535s and the v8 models but they were'nt valvetrain problems.
I've owned many used BMWs and never had a problem with the engine in any of them.

Greg
Old 12-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by response_surface
yeah i can explain it. i have a bmw v8 engine with 42k miles on it. and at times the valvetrain sounds like its going to grenade. i think its absurd that an engine can end up like that with only 42k miles on it. i expect a modern engine to last 200k with proper maintenance. sorry if my post offended you, but i'm a little upset about the durability of this overcomplicated valve arrangement. if i had done MY research and seen drawings of this arrangement i would not have touched the car. i just wanted a nice car with a v8 and manual trans (no more automatics), that was about the limit of my research, its my own fault.

my wife has an audi a8 4.2 with over 130k, still the quietest and smoothest engine i've ever seen. i just assumed the bmw would be the same, one german v8 is as good as another right.......apparently not. although the audi trans broke at 80k, hence my requirement for a manual trans.

valve clack is a distant early warning of very bad things to come in most cases. maybe it is just a characteristic of these engines and will not be a major problem.

there are valve tick posts coming up here once a month, i don't think its isolated to v8's. do you really think that's a minor problem? i hope my luck with bmw engines turns out to be as good as yours.
No your post did'nt offend me. I'm just a BMW guy. I've owned an Audi a6 4.2 and I had many, many problems with it. Not with the engine but everything else.
I looked into Mercedes and they are a rolling problem IMO.

I had a e39 M5. It only had 8k miles on it when I bought it. The engine on start-up sometimes sounded like you decribe ("like its going to genade"). I took it to the dealer and they said that was normal. They said it's a detuned race engine and it's going to make some noise. It was still under factory warranty so I did'nt worry about it too much. Never had a problem with that car except for the engine rattle once in a while. But I guess it bothered me enough to stay away from BMWs v8s.

I don't worry about the engine so much as all the electronics they put in these cars now. Just by reading some of these post I don't know if the bmw mecanics know how to fix them. No matter what forum (audi,merc, etc.) you go on these days you're going to find plenty of "these cars are POS threads". Pick your poison. I just like the way the BMWs ride and handle. I do think the newer BMWs have lost some of the the road feel. I really notice it in this 530xi I just bought.

I hope your engine noise is normal and does'nt turn into a big problem.

Best of luck,
Greg
Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Members

sooooooo.....

when CPO warranty expires, do I buy an extension or do I get 3rd party?
Old 12-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Members

sooooooo.....

when CPO warranty expires, do I buy an extension or do I get 3rd party?
If BMW extends the CPO warranty I think I would go with that. If they don't/won't get a 3rd party warranty that covers the electronics as well as the mechanical. My warranty cost $3k. As great as I think BMWs are I would'nt go without a warrany on these newer cars.

Greg
Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys! Now i'm more confused than ever haha. I was hoping those questions could help me eliminate choices but I guess it didn't.

So basically

1. 2007 530i is good, but N52 and M54 engine?

2. 2005 545i is good as well, but I think it's a little old. Correct me?

3. 2008 528i is a little on the slow side, but only 25hp difference, guess I won't mind. Putting it as last resort if I can't find a good 530i nor 545i.

4. Would u guys say electronic is every BMW's main concern? If 3rd party warranty can cover that, does that mean I should just get any pre-owned and get it inspected by BMW instead of buying CPO for the CPO warranty?

5. How does the $0 maintenance work? free brake pad and oil change? is it worth it?

6. Lastly. What is the best value on an E60 that I can get with $30k

Thank you guys. I'm asking all these questions because I WANT AN E60! I heard its GEWDDDDDDD
You got me curious about my engine now. Does the 2006 530xi have a good engine? Also, how can you tell which engine model you have?

Whatever you do, don't get a car with a salvage title. Esp, something so expensive.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by neoe60
You got me curious about my engine now. Does the 2006 530xi have a good engine?
Yes you have a good engine. It's the same as the 2007 530i engine. 2006 and 2007 are the only years with the 3 liter 255hp engine.

Greg
Old 12-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Members

Now I'm mainly looking at 2008's 528i, but it's impossible to find a 528i with premium, xenon, and sports package with decent mileage and $$. Eventually I'll have to give up and go for those with only premium and xenon.

Sighhh
Old 12-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Members

Now I'm mainly looking at 2008's 528i, but it's impossible to find a 528i with premium, xenon, and sports package with decent mileage and $$. Eventually I'll have to give up and go for those with only premium and xenon.

Sighhh
Keep looking. It took me 2+ months on autotrader and running the roads before I found "the one". Searching and nagotiatating the price is the best part of buying a used car IMO.

Greg
Old 12-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Members

My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats
Model Year: '07-530i

Sighhh
Not finding 528i with the options i wanted was the reason i went with 530i...
250HP/230Tq
Multicontour Sport seats
Navigation
Logic-7
Head-up display
Adaptive headlights
Night vision
Heated rear seats
Power rear shades + rear side window shades
Bluetooth with voice activation
Sport package
Found out today that the car actually has IPOD integration kit installed by the PO

Most of these options are not available in 528i as it would have pushed the price into 535i terrotory.

we love our 530i

Quick Reply: some questions regarding buying an E60