E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

In the immortal words of Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction, "it would have been worth him doing it just to catch him doing it." When I was first married and poor we lived in a not so nice area of NJ. Late one night we heard some commotion and looked out the window of our apartment to see two guys trying to break into my pick up truck. Now I don't quite know how to spell this but I'm sure most of you know the sound. It's the cha ching of a round being loaded into a shotgun chamber and is VERY effective at scattering would be thieves. You don't even need to pull the trigger.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='541112' date='Mar 7 2008, 11:09 AM
In the immortal words of Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction, "it would have been worth him doing it just to catch him doing it." When I was first married and poor we lived in a not so nice area of NJ. Late one night we heard some commotion and looked out the window of our apartment to see two guys trying to break into my pick up truck. Now I don't quite know how to spell this but I'm sure most of you know the sound. It's the cha ching of a round being loaded into a shotgun chamber and is VERY effective at scattering would be thieves. You don't even need to pull the trigger.
OOO...I love that sound. I have a Remington 870 12-gauge and it's just a wonderful sound. It's interesting to do it on a dark street just before a raid (if you forget noise discipline) and watch the lights come on all over the place.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Members

My Ride: Current - MY2008 530i comfort access,active steering, HUD, prof nav/TV, bluetootth etc ..... Old - 2006 530i comfort access, active steering, HUD, NAV/TV, Bluetooth

Sorry to hear of your loss.

As I read this thread I thought gee maybe it is a good idea to getsome locking nuts. And, with everyone talking about the best being Mcguard (never heard of them) I did a google search. One of the first items I find is 3 tips on how to defeat the Mc Guard nut.

1. buy a purpose made tool
2. using a hammer jam a socket over it
3. rub pencil and paper over the lock send the image to McGuard and get a new key - this could explain why the garage was broken into a week earlier (casing the joint)

see here http://au.answers.yahoo.com/answers2/front...22174948AA7gAV5.

Now if the thieves are "work to order", and they have done a little homework on defeating the Tilt alarm, I reckon they have picked up on this too. So we are screwed, you will not defeat a determined theif.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Sorry, Bruce...no one wants to feel violated like that. I can't imagine how pissed you must have been to see your ride up on blocks, your own blocks to boot, as added insult. I haven't been using my locks, but I will probably throw them back on when I put my 19" summers back on in a few months. It might not prevent the theft, but I guess it could slow the thieves down a few minutes, time enough to get out my Kimber .45. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by faarcanal' post='541242' date='Mar 7 2008, 09:26 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

As I read this thread I thought gee maybe it is a good idea to getsome locking nuts. And, with everyone talking about the best being Mcguard (never heard of them) I did a google search. One of the first items I find is 3 tips on how to defeat the Mc Guard nut.

1. buy a purpose made tool
2. using a hammer jam a socket over it
3. rub pencil and paper over the lock send the image to McGuard and get a new key - this could explain why the garage was broken into a week earlier (casing the joint)

see here http://au.answers.yahoo.com/answers2/front...22174948AA7gAV5.

Now if the thieves are "work to order", and they have done a little homework on defeating the Tilt alarm, I reckon they have picked up on this too. So we are screwed, you will not defeat a determined theif.

1. We can't do anything about this.

2. That's the reason why I bought the McGard Ultra instead of the McGard standard because of the spinning collar which stops something being jammed around it.

3. Apparently now McGard will not sell you a new key unless you can provide them the 10 digit code that comes with the nuts. If they do then we're screwed.

But as you say "you will not defeat a determined thief".
Old 03-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 550i 2007 M-Kit installed- 367 BHP Sapphire black, comfort seats, comfort access, HUD, Professional Nav, Logic 7.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='539912' date='Mar 5 2008, 11:07 AM
It was so cold last night so the guys had real determination. Obviously have come prepared because the wheel had the locking nuts on, which I can say now are quite useless. But what happened to the Tilt alarm of the car. How did they manage to jack the car up without it triggering.
They've pulled out the blocks from my paving itself to hoist the car up. I'm gutted.....

A few weeks ago my garage was broken into but nothing was taken except the door was completely damaged. And I thought I lived in a 'safe' neighbourhood.
sorry for that man..... these guys definitely knew what they are doing and they are #$@!!!^ but of course not idiots and you have to take some preventive measures to stop them from trying this again!!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 550i 2007 M-Kit installed- 367 BHP Sapphire black, comfort seats, comfort access, HUD, Professional Nav, Logic 7.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='540665' date='Mar 6 2008, 09:57 PM
Why didn't I think of that. It does make sense and you need only 1 jack because then the bricks take the jack's place. Of course.
does this mean that we are all gonna need more sensitive alarms?? like the ones that blow off every time a cat passes by the car!!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='540033' date='Mar 5 2008, 07:12 PM
Anyway, long story short, if you have not yet bought your secure wheel nuts DO IT NOW.
Bruce,

Didn't you mention that you had the nuts on?
Old 03-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by wees75' post='541440' date='Mar 8 2008, 08:58 AM
Bruce,

Didn't you mention that you had the nuts on?
I had the standard secure BMW (NOT) nuts that came with the car. Now I've bought some McGards ones.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

So you found the car in your garage without wheels ?

Quick Reply: Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night