E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sorry Bruce this has happened to you. Hope you get this mess all sorted out.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:33 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='540521' date='Mar 6 2008, 10:53 AM
So, I looked into buying some additional bolts and looked at the McGards (one of the best rated items). Trouble is they are silver in colour (not sure if these are available in black) and all the standard bolts are black, so I thought this would look odd. After a bit of research I found that BMW themselves do an 'upgraded' 'Mcgard' style bolt (in black). Will PM you the details.
I too looked at the Mcgard style BMW nuts but then read there are only about 20 combinations for those (i don't even want to know how many combinations are there for the standard). So went in for the 'real' McGard Ultra nuts. The silver doesn't bother me too much because there is no harm in painting the head with some high temparature black paint.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:41 AM
Members

Sorry to hear your loss Bruce. Hope these low life robbers get run over by the very next car wheel they try to steal.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Members

Sorry to hear about your loss on the sweet rims, nowadays if they want your rims they will get it.. I would suspect that the people that broke into your garage are the same people that stole your rims... they saw your rims and knew it was of value and decided that they could get more for the rims than whatever they could steal that nite...

Oh and to get around the tilt sensor is really easy i'm surprised no ones noticed it... no need for multiple Jacks or coordinated efforts like many ppl said... all you need to do is support the car with the jack... just put enough pressure on the jack so it can bare the weight... then let the air out of the tire.. the deflated tire will provide enough space to allow the wheel to be take off without raising the height of the car!!

Thieves are very tricky at getting around high tech gadgets...
Old 03-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by vancouverE60' post='540623' date='Mar 6 2008, 05:38 PM
Oh and to get around the tilt sensor is really easy i'm surprised no ones noticed it... no need for multiple Jacks or coordinated efforts like many ppl said... all you need to do is support the car with the jack... just put enough pressure on the jack so it can bare the weight... then let the air out of the tire.. the deflated tire will provide enough space to allow the wheel to be take off without raising the height of the car!!
Why didn't I think of that. It does make sense and you need only 1 jack because then the bricks take the jack's place. Of course.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Members

yeah its surprisingly scary how easy it is when its explained... so easily done and there isn't much you can do about ppl letting air out of your tires...
Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Contributors

These crimes have something in common the world over. The vast majority are committed by repeat offenders. When will the justice system recognize this? It seems that most are given a slap on the wrist and released, but they are not sorry - just sorry they got caught.

I'm not saying lock up some troubled teen on the first offense, but when someone comes before the judge with 20 similar past charges, just put us all out of our misery and send him away for 5 years. He won't change, but at least there will be 5 years that he won't be costing society $10,000 per day in crime.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

There are some posts (most form UK) above about McGard locking lug nuts.

I cannot find (on the web) good, specific*, references to the McGards, here in the states.

Can anyone direct me to a vendor, or perhaps another brand.

*Specific ... all I could find are charts with lengths and thread specs.

Yesterday I asked my dealer's parts guy. He was not too up tp speed on lug nuts but he did say that BMW has more than one "key" for their wheels. Does this provide much security?
Old 03-07-2008, 03:07 AM
Contributors

McGard's is infact a US company and the nuts are made in Germany. BMW now do the McGard's nut design themselves. However I do not believe they do the McGard Ultra nuts but the McGard standard ones.

UPDATE : BMW do use the McGard Ultra design but only use 20 codes from McGard. So in theory if your thief has all 20 keys then your wheels should still be robbed. Most OEM manufacturers take this approach of choosing a few codes. Fine balance between security and "I've lost my key can you please help me".

However the 'real' McGards have 1000s of combinations making it a bit tougher.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

To repeat something from an earlier post...... unless the 'key' to the wheel nuts is removed from the car each time you park it, a thief will only need to break into the boot / trunk to get at it and take the wheels anyway.

Quick Reply: Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night