E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Snow-driving expirience

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i - Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, PDC, Xenon, Electric Sunshade

Hi Rudy,

Thank you for the information. I greatly appreciate the knowledge that you (and the other seasoned) owners have. That is what makes this forum great.

Old 01-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Contributors

I was thinking about the Dunlop M3's as dedicated winter tires as well. I decided to go the all-season route with the Pireli P Zero Nero. I don't plan on driving my car in extreme weather conditions which is why I decided on the Pirelli's. They have been a joy to ride on even with a dusting of snow or after the streets have been plowed they have been VERY dependable. Storing a second set of dedicated WINTER tires doesn't make sense for me at least. My .02
Old 01-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, PDC, Xenon, Electric Sunshade

Originally Posted by DR.Z' date='Jan 21 2005, 06:58 AM
Arno, let me chime in.
I know you are waiting for Rudy's reply, I am also, Rudy does have a wealth of knowledge
and is generous with sharing it.

I have had good luck this year driving my NEW All-season tires in the Cleveland winter.
Your in Pittsburgh , which has close to the same weather.
You do have more hills , Cleveland is very flat, but I think we get more snow per year then you.

I opted to run my stock tires this year, I have always used four snow tires on my BMW's in the past, but they were fitted with preformance tires from the factory.

The long and the short of it is, the fresh All-Seasons worked OK so far this winter, I will get four snows for next winter.
Also I do have a very short daily commute , if I were to drive to the mountains to ski I would worry about the A/S tires and drive my wifes car.

DR.Z
[snapback]81444[/snapback]

Hi Dr. Z,

Which all season tires do you have?

Thanks,
Arno
Old 01-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Contributors

Arno, I have Continentals, model ContiTouringContact 255/50/R17.

DR.Z
Old 01-22-2005, 07:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DR.Z' date='Jan 22 2005, 05:06 AM
Arno, I have? Continentals, model ContiTouringContact 255/50/R17.

DR.Z
[snapback]81812[/snapback]
Hi Dr. Z,

Thanks ... I guess BMW uses a variety of different brand all season tires. Looks like the tire you have got a slightly better rating for snow as well as the other categories then the Goodyear Eagle RS-A.

Arno
Old 01-22-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I'm in Long Island, NY and we are getting 1-2 feet of snow (unusual) but won't need to drive my car till Monday. I hope there is some good stuff on TV
Old 01-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Jan 22 2005, 01:53 PM
I'm in Long Island, NY and we are getting 1-2 feet of snow (unusual) but won't need to drive my car till Monday. I hope there is some good stuff on TV
[snapback]81898[/snapback]
Hi Pennetta, I guess that will depend on cablevision. I guess you can always watch News12 and see them get the forecast wrong. :-)

Arno
Old 01-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

i use dunlop m3 17" on my 530. absolutely fabulous winter tires!

here in canada it is necessary to have snow tires, a must safety precaution.
most people here have 2 sets of wheels, one for summer and the other winter, it is a common driving habit to change wheels every spring and fall religiously.

i don't recommend taking tires off and on the same rims, it 'hurts' the rims each time the exchange takes place, it is understood here a budget of ~$2000 is set aside for winter wheels/ tires when purchasing a bmw( or any high end car). for safety it is a necessary expense not spared.
not only is the gripping power increase due to thread pattern, but more so for the compound, which remains soft even in severe sub zero road conditions. all seasons will work but they become unpredictable in the cold.

in the manuel it states that DSC should be turned off (holding down the DSC button of 4 seconds) when in high snow conditions, the wheeels will spin with the accelerater. used in 'digging out ' conditions.
BMW winter driving techniques are very helpful here. they hold these clinics annually.

* i always drive stick, no clue as to how smg will perform in snowy conditions, but does not surprise me if it is unpredictable.
i thought you can manuelly put smg into any of the 7 gears? someone perhaps can enlighten me on this?
Old 01-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by rollee' date='Jan 22 2005, 02:15 PM
i use dunlop m3 17" on my 530. absolutely fabulous winter tires!

here in canada it is necessary to have snow tires, a must safety precaution.
most people here have 2 sets of wheels, one for summer and the other winter, it is a common driving habit to change wheels every spring and fall religiously.

i don't recommend taking tires off and on the same rims, it 'hurts' the rims each time the exchange takes place, it is understood here a budget of ~$2000? is set aside for winter wheels/ tires when purchasing a bmw( or any high end car). for safety it is a necessary expense not spared.
not only is the gripping power increase due to thread pattern, but more so for the compound, which remains soft even in severe sub zero road conditions. all seasons will work but they become unpredictable in the cold.

in the manuel it states that DSC should be turned off (holding down the DSC button of 4 seconds) when in high snow conditions, the wheeels will spin with the accelerater. used in 'digging out ' conditions.
BMW winter driving techniques are very helpful here. they hold these clinics annually.

* i always drive stick, no clue as to how smg will perform in snowy conditions, but does not surprise me if it is unpredictable.
i thought you can manuelly put smg into any of the 7 gears? someone perhaps can enlighten me on this?
[snapback]81920[/snapback]
You can put it in any gear, but they must go sequentially, sort of like a motorcycle tranny. However if you go slow enough in any gear that would cause a lugging situation it downshifts automatically to prevent it.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Jan 22 2005, 05:43 PM
You can put it in any gear, but they must go sequentially, sort of like a motorcycle tranny. However if you go slow enough in any gear that would cause a lugging situation it downshifts automatically to prevent it.
[snapback]81993[/snapback]
You can't put it in just any gear -- you can start in second but you can only upshift if you're going fast enough for the gear you're selecting. In other words, you can't start in 3rd or higher and if you start in 2nd, you can't just shift to 3rd until you get up some speed...

Quick Reply: Snow-driving expirience