E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Snow-driving expirience

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Pablo, the summer tires are the main problem with this car (especially on ice.)

I drove all day today in pretty slippery conditions. SMG was fine. I don't know what you're talking about -- that is unless you're relying on automatic mode for SMG winter driving. If so, I'd recommend not doing that. The only complaint I had today was as I was ascending a pretty steep, slippery hill, the DTC kept wanting to use 1st gear and I was trying to start in 2nd. The hill was so slippery that the only way for me to go up it was to completely turn off DSC/DTC and let the wheels spin.

Other than that one episode (where I ended up going up the hill and SUV's with "all season" tires couldn't), the SMG worked flawlessly in conjunction with full DSC...
Old 01-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I was in the snow/ice today as well, 20 degrees here on L.I. Car did not handle badly. I would like to know when DSC is engaging with a light or something like the DTC. I don't want the DSC to make me feel there is more traction available then there is.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

You do have a light. There is a yellow warning light between the speedo and tach that lights up when DSC is intervening. I'm sure you've seen it flash from time to time.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jan 20 2005, 12:11 AM
Pablo, the summer tires are the main problem with this car (especially on ice.)

I drove all day today in pretty slippery conditions.? SMG was fine.? I don't know what you're talking about -- that is unless you're relying on automatic mode for SMG winter driving.? If so, I'd recommend not doing that.? The only complaint I had today was as I was ascending a pretty steep, slippery hill, the DTC kept wanting to use 1st gear and I was trying to start in 2nd.? The hill was so slippery that the only way for me to go up it was to completely turn off DSC/DTC and let the wheels spin.

Other than that one episode (where I ended up going up the hill and SUV's with "all season" tires couldn't), the SMG worked flawlessly in conjunction with full DSC...
[snapback]80993[/snapback]

I was absolutely in manual mode. Examples. You are in stop and go traffic on ice. You start in 2nd gear. going slow. car reverts back to first gear. need to stop to go back to second gear (engage clutch). It will not switch to 2nd while running slow. A few times it decided to downshift to 1st at scary times, causing the car to spin out. I know most of it is the summer tires. but smg is no comparison to an automatic or manual on stop and go icy conditions...
Old 01-20-2005, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

I see what you mean now...

As I've said before in other threads, there needs to be a software change to provide the SMG with a "winter mode" where you can tell the car not to go down to first -- ever.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jan 20 2005, 10:04 AM

As I've said before in other threads, there needs to be a software change to provide the SMG with a "winter mode" where you can tell the car not to go down to first -- ever.
[snapback]81076[/snapback]

Agreed!!!

I am not sure if DTC changed gears, but I know for a fact that I had turned off DTC and it came back on at some point. DTC makes it so that you absolutely cannot go up a steep hill in icy conditions. It will not allow the rear wheels to spin to get traction.

Pablo
Old 01-20-2005, 05:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jan 20 2005, 09:04 AM

[snapback]81076[/snapback]
Hey Rudy

I'm with you on that one. Like I said in the other thread they should have given the 545 SMG system from M3. I drive M3 SMG in Boston and NH with Pirelly snowsports 240 (not the best tires on ice but brilliant on the cold highways) and I dont have the issue.
if SMG is in manual 1 and 2 programs or in auto program 1 - it's in mellow (winter mode) where it will stay in 2 ant start in 2. (maybe next software update v.17 for 545)

Another big issue is LSD. I was at a drive through in MCDs and one wheel was on ice, one on pavement on a slight hill I couldn't move in a 545 with similar Piellys.
M3 or M5 had no issues with LSD preventing the wheel on ice to spin.
DSC, DTC will help a bit in this situation but gizmos should be the aid not the solution. Car should handle this situatioin itself. I hope Dinan comes out with one soon.. should be a firly simple upgrade.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Pablo, you can cause the wheels to spin without any intervention from the DSC or DTC by pressing and holding the DSC (or DTC) button until you see the DSC disabled (or deactivated) message. After that, spin away!
Old 01-20-2005, 05:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jan 20 2005, 09:27 AM
Pablo, you can cause the wheels to spin without any intervention from the DSC or DTC by pressing and holding the DSC (or DTC) button until you see the DSC disabled (or deactivated) message.? After that, spin away!
[snapback]81083[/snapback]

It seems very counter-intuitive to many, but completely turning off DSC / DTC will help you up hills or out of snow by allowing will spin. With the DSC on, the wheels will not spin and if one wheel has no traction, you simply do not move. In such conditions (before I got my winter wheels) I would often drive with one hand on the wheel and one on the DSC button. When traveling along, DSC on to prevent a skid, when stcu or going up a hill DSC off.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with rob. The key to DSC is momentum. If you have it, it works quite well. If you don't have it, it doesn't help you much at all...

Quick Reply: Snow-driving expirience