E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Snow-driving expirience

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got home from my first snow-driving trip on my new E60. I was very surprised how it handled couple icy spots I had to drive through it was actually better then my similarly equipped (summer tires) A4 quattro. The only problem was I couldn't get up on my driveway :bashwall: until I turned off the DSC or DTS or whatever it's called by pressing the button once, wheels started to spin a little but that gave me a chance to start moving again.

Great job BMW
Old 01-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Contributors

I have 17" all seasons on my 545, and I to am amazed by it's handling in the snow.
I did add a couple sand bags in the trunk , which does help.
But we sure had some bad snows already this winter, and it has held it own.

Got to shop early this morning, snow plow just finished the parking lot, had some fun whipping it around.

DR.Z
Old 01-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, PDC, Xenon, Electric Sunshade

I had a similar experience this past weekend and today. Had to turn the DSC off, which then activated the DTC. Hilly roads seem to be a little bit of a problem for me, but then again there are a lot of them around here. I went from a Suburban to my E60.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Arno, we probably had the same experiences today. Do you have snow tires?

One small complaint I have is that with the SMG, if you are using DTC and select 2nd gear to start out, the first time the DTC kicks in, the SMG shifts back to 1st...
Old 01-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Titanium Grey/Grey/SMG/Nav/sports pack/premium pack/sirius prep

Originally Posted by Arno' date='Jan 19 2005, 08:24 PM
I had a similar experience this past weekend and today. Had to turn the DSC off, which then activated the DTC. Hilly roads seem to be a little bit of a problem for me, but then again there are a lot of them around here. I went from a Suburban to my E60.
[snapback]80962[/snapback]
Help I'm confused.

So DSC turned off (skid control?) activates DTC (traction control?) and you are better off in snow?

Nick
Old 01-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by nickferr' date='Jan 20 2005, 02:57 AM
[quote name='Arno' date='Jan 19 2005, 08:24 PM']I had a similar experience this past weekend and today. Had to turn the DSC off, which then activated the DTC. Hilly roads seem to be a little bit of a problem for me, but then again there are a lot of them around here. I went from a Suburban to my E60.
[snapback]80962[/snapback]
Help I'm confused.

So DSC turned off (skid control?) activates DTC (traction control?) and you are better off in snow?

Nick
[snapback]80970[/snapback]
[/quote]
yep.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i w/ Sport Pkg. Black with black Leather. Cold weather pkg. Satellite, xenons. No aftermarket ... yet.

Hope this question doesn't constitute a new thread, else I'll be happy to move it ...

Seems to me, because I live in an occasionally snowy (but always hilly) place, I need serious snow tires. But what's the least expensive means of achieving it: (a) twice a season, pay somebody to dismount last season's tires / mount this season's tires on my existing wheels or (b) buy snow tires already mounted on so-so wheels and bolt them off / on myself twice a season.

The time frame is three years (I'm leasing), and I have room to store the set of four wheels/tires when not in use.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by NYC_E60' date='Jan 19 2005, 07:17 PM
Hope this question doesn't constitute a new thread, else I'll be happy to move it ...

Seems to me, because I live in an occasionally snowy (but always hilly) place, I need serious snow tires.? But what's the least expensive means of achieving it: (a) twice a season, pay somebody to dismount last season's tires / mount this season's tires on my existing wheels or (b) buy snow tires already mounted on so-so wheels and bolt them off / on myself twice a season.?

The time frame is three years (I'm leasing), and I have room to store the set of four wheels/tires when not in use.

Thanks.
[snapback]80982[/snapback]
Depending on cost and convenience... Dont forget if you mount and unmount the tire you need to rebalance the wheel. Doing it yourself you can do at home anytime you wish. as often as wish... like if theres a break from snow and you want to run summer tires for a few days.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Members

We had an inch of snow which turned to ice today and it was a SCARY ride... Had to leave the car at work. SMG is unpredictable in the snow as you never know what gear you will end up in. from 2 to 1 at the most inconvenient moments and sometimes in 1 when you need to be in 2. Sometimes you want to be in 3 and you cant... Remind me never to take this car out in the snow with standard run flats...

DTC gets in the way, your turn it off but it comes back on sometimes also..

Pablo
Old 01-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by PabloR' date='Jan 19 2005, 07:54 PM
We had an inch of snow which turned to ice today and it was a SCARY ride... Had to leave the car at work. SMG is unpredictable in the snow as you never know what gear you will end up in. from 2 to 1 at the most inconvenient moments and sometimes in 1 when you need to be in 2. Sometimes you want to be in 3 and you cant... Remind me never to take this car out in the snow with standard run flats...

DTC gets in the way, your turn it off but it comes back on sometimes also..

Pablo
[snapback]80989[/snapback]
Wait what?? DSC takes control of SMG??? Even when you're in manual mode?

Quick Reply: Snow-driving expirience