E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Snow-driving expirience

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tell you guys this......Get a set of Blizzaks LM-22's and you dont need to touch anything or start in 2nd gear...Those things a solid in the snow. I use my M3 as my winter car and I have no probelms whatsoever.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by robg' date='Jan 20 2005, 08:55 AM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Jan 20 2005, 09:27 AM']Pablo, you can cause the wheels to spin without any intervention from the DSC or DTC by pressing and holding the DSC (or DTC) button until you see the DSC disabled (or deactivated) message.? After that, spin away!
[snapback]81083[/snapback]

It seems very counter-intuitive to many, but completely turning off DSC / DTC will help you up hills or out of snow by allowing will spin. With the DSC on, the wheels will not spin and if one wheel has no traction, you simply do not move. In such conditions (before I got my winter wheels) I would often drive with one hand on the wheel and one on the DSC button. When traveling along, DSC on to prevent a skid, when stcu or going up a hill DSC off.
[snapback]81099[/snapback]
[/quote]

I believe the DSC on includes DTC functions. When you turn off DSC, the DTC functioin remains. If you hold the DSC button for a few seconds, both DSC and DTC are inactive.

I agree with the above posts that if you really want snow performance, get some blizzaks mounted on some inexpensive wheels. Be ready to sacrifice a ton of dry pavement handling though.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, PDC, Xenon, Electric Sunshade

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jan 19 2005, 09:28 PM
Arno, we probably had the same experiences today.? Do you have snow tires?

One small complaint I have is that with the SMG, if you are using DTC and select 2nd gear to start out, the first time the DTC kicks in, the SMG shifts back to 1st...
[snapback]80963[/snapback]

I don't have the sport package, so I am guessing that I should have all weather tires (I could be wrong of course). They are Eagle RS-A in 225/50R17.

Would you suggest that I get specific snow tires?
Old 01-21-2005, 01:58 AM
Contributors

Arno, let me chime in.
I know you are waiting for Rudy's reply, I am also, Rudy does have a wealth of knowledge
and is generous with sharing it.

I have had good luck this year driving my NEW All-season tires in the Cleveland winter.
Your in Pittsburgh , which has close to the same weather.
You do have more hills , Cleveland is very flat, but I think we get more snow per year then you.

I opted to run my stock tires this year, I have always used four snow tires on my BMW's in the past, but they were fitted with preformance tires from the factory.

The long and the short of it is, the fresh All-Seasons worked OK so far this winter, I will get four snows for next winter.
Also I do have a very short daily commute , if I were to drive to the mountains to ski I would worry about the A/S tires and drive my wifes car.

DR.Z
Old 01-21-2005, 04:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jan 20 2005, 10:27 AM
Pablo, you can cause the wheels to spin without any intervention from the DSC or DTC by pressing and holding the DSC (or DTC) button until you see the DSC disabled (or deactivated) message.? After that, spin away!
[snapback]81083[/snapback]
I learned real quick to do this. I could swear that in a specific situation it all turned back on by itself, but I cannot tell you for sure...

Pablo
Old 01-21-2005, 04:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, PDC, Xenon, Electric Sunshade

Hi Dr. Z,

I looked up the reviews on the Goodyear tires I have, some people like them but most did not like them for the snow. I probably will wait till next season before I do anything as this is my first year in Pittsburgh. I really don't have the room to store winter tires, but if I have to, I will find the space. Looks like the Bridgestone Blizzak's did get good reviews (thanks evperry).

My office is not far away, but I am a Realtor and I do need to drive clients around the 'Burg in all kinds of weather.

Arno
Old 01-21-2005, 05:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Here is some snow-driving expirience

not fun
Old 01-21-2005, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Arno, there are always trade-offs with these types of decisions and obviously each person has unique needs. If you had the sport-package, as I do, it would be a pretty simple decision -- get snow tires!

Since you don't have the sport-package your Eagle RS/A tires are, in fact, all-season. Personally, I feel that the whole "all-season" thing is not very worthwhile. Maybe if you lived in a place that gets snow once in a while (like the Carolinas maybe) but in Pittsburgh, especially with the hills, you can't go wrong with dedicated snow tires if you rely on your car daily. If you have an alternate means of transportation on snowy days, you're probably fine with the Eagles you have now. If you absolutely must get around in any conditions, you should consider four snow tires.

Again, you're the best judge on what will work for you. Also, keep in mind that I have no experience driving these cars on the type of tires you have. I've always (since 1989) put four dedicated snows on my BMWs and have been impressed with how well they go in the snow (at a significant sacrifice of performance on dry pavement, of course.)

This year, I decided to not get Blizzaks (the best for extreme snow/ice) and instead went with the Dunlop Winter Sport M3. (I decided to sacrifice a bit of my snow/ice traction to gain back some dry pavement performance.) I already noticed the difference in the lack of grip the other day in the snow. I still got around and still managed some hills but it clearly wasn't the same as my E39 cars or my M3 with the Blizzaks.

As many of us have said, The Tire Rack is the most trusted source of knowledge and experience when it comes to tires for your BMW (as well as other makes.) You should call them if you need more information or want to buy anything.

Hope that helps you out!

Oh, and thanks for the compliment, Dr. Z!
Old 01-21-2005, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Serge007' date='Jan 21 2005, 09:46 AM
Here is some snow-driving expirience?

not fun
[snapback]81496[/snapback]
How about that one guy? Who did he think he was, Fred Flintstone or something? Did he really think he was going to stop the car??

Then there's the passenger plowing the sidewalk with the door. Good thing there wasn't a sign or fire hydrant there!!

And what about the stupid cameraman? Shouldn't he have stopped filming and run to the top of the hill to warn other drivers? Sheesh!
Old 01-21-2005, 07:05 AM
Members

My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jan 21 2005, 08:11 AM
[quote name='Serge007' date='Jan 21 2005, 09:46 AM']Here is some snow-driving expirience?

not fun
[snapback]81496[/snapback]
How about that one guy? Who did he think he was, Fred Flintstone or something? Did he really think he was going to stop the car??

Then there's the passenger plowing the sidewalk with the door. Good thing there wasn't a sign or fire hydrant there!!

And what about the stupid cameraman? Shouldn't he have stopped filming and run to the top of the hill to warn other drivers? Sheesh!
[snapback]81501[/snapback]
[/quote]
You guys are freaking me out! I'm picking up my 545 (sport package) in Munich on Feb. 21. Driving through Bavaria to Paris.... on those run flats. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

Off topic a bit here ... but we had a freezing rain storm in the Portland area last weekend and one passenger (in a taxi) was killed when she jumped from her sliding taxi... as it spinned around she got trapped under it and was dragged to her death........ what goes through their heads?

Spartacus_33

Quick Reply: Snow-driving expirience