E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Shuddering (SMG Guys Please advise)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='222448' date='Jan 10 2006, 09:57 PM
I did not think the SMG was a "learning" transmission like the Steptronic.

Is it?
Good question. A while ago, we noticed there may be some type of adapting that the SMG does but as far as I can remember, nobody was able to provide too much detail on the subject.

The following link will take you to a post where it was first discussed:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...indpost&p=90838

Be sure to read that post and at least the next two posts to see what we learned...
Old 01-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

*Note: Extracted from the other thread*

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='90852' date='Feb 16 2005, 09:23 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the details speedracer. Now I want to know more details on what the SMG adapts to!

For the record, TIS does state that after replacing the SMG transmission, the tech needs to "perform adaptation using DIS tester" so there must be something being "learned" by the unit...

Attachment 5199
Hey Rudy where did you read that the tech needs to perform adaptaion using DIS tester? I cant seem to find that in the SMG document you posted.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='222420' date='Jan 10 2006, 08:35 PM
So how did you "fix it" so it doesnt shudder all the time?

But it still shudders after using sports mode?
It just went away by itself. Who knows why. I still feel it after using Sport, yes.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by alpineweiss' post='222517
So how did you "fix it" so it doesnt shudder all the time?

But it still shudders after using sports mode?
It just went away by itself. Who knows why. I still feel it after using Sport, yes.
[/quote]

Oh weird... I guess I'll monitor it till monday to see if it improves... I just hope the dealer wont blow me off and go "Its normal" :'(
Old 01-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='222496
Interesting. Thanks for the details speedracer. Now I want to know more details on what the SMG adapts to!

For the record, TIS does state that after replacing the SMG transmission, the tech needs to "perform adaptation using DIS tester" so there must be something being "learned" by the unit...

Attachment 5199
Hey Rudy where did you read that the tech needs to perform adaptaion using DIS tester? I cant seem to find that in the SMG document you posted.
[/quote]
It's not in the main SMG document located in the tech gallery, it's in the .pdf attached to the post you quoted above (and linked below)...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...indpost&p=90852
Old 01-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Contributors

Oh I see... Ok so hopefully they can "re-teach" my transmission and all will be well.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Contributors

One day last year (when my car had only around 1500 miles on it) I got stuck in heavy stop and go traffic on a relatively steep uphill street (for those of you familiar with LA it was Laurel Canyon Blvd going from the Valley to West Hollywood). After about 15 minutes of continuous repeated stop and go cycles every 10 seconds or so I got a warning on the iDrive screen that the clutch had overheated and that I should pull over. When you try accelerating in that scenario the car starts moving and immediately the clutch is disengaged, then reengaged and again disengaged in a continuous loop. There was no place to pull over so I had to limp along until I reached a side street. Of coarse when the clutch is engaged and disengaged like that the car shakes and shudders very violently just like I was learning how to drive a manual for the first time and doing a very bad job at that. After pulling over in a side street for ten minutes I started driving and only had the shuddering during the first couple of seconds while the clutch was engaging but not on a continuous basis.....until I got to the uphill street again and then it did it again. Thankfully I reached the top of the hill and coasted down the other side. When I got to the bottom of the hill everything was fine again.

Since then I have not had that problem, but then I always drive in sport mode now. This helps because the clutch engages much faster while the non-sport mode "rides" the clutch a bit before it fully engages-a very bad idea when driving uphill.

A couple of times I have experienced a very slight vibration when accelerating from a standstill while the clutch is engaging, but it has happened less than 5 times total (in 18000 miles), and always during the first couple of minutes after the car is started in colder whether.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='222594' date='Jan 11 2006, 01:54 AM
Since then I have not had that problem, but then I always drive in sport mode now. This helps because the clutch engages much faster while the non-sport mode "rides" the clutch a bit before it fully engages-a very bad idea when driving uphill.

A couple of times I have experienced a very slight vibration when accelerating from a standstill while the clutch is engaging, but it has happened less than 5 times total (in 18000 miles), and always during the first couple of minutes after the car is started in colder whether.
Thanks for the info Rody but its has gotten worse yesterday... and today in heavy traffic it was bad... heavy shaking of the car. Something is wrong... Like said earlier... could be losing pressure in the Hydraulics... ARGH! Monday cant come soon enough for me.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Contributors

Ok the car is in at the dealer right now.

At first they said cannot ducplicate the problem so I was like NO WAY! I stopped by there after lunch and test drove it with the tech and then he felt it but then said it didnt seem like there was a problem. He said these SMG transmissions are not suppose to be Steptronic smooth. I know... but its not suppose to shudder tho. So then he brought out the shop forman and he test drove with me. He felt it and then in the end when we got back to the dealership he asked me to rev it in neutral. I've never tried that.... AND now guess what. It shudders... its the engine... it wasnt SMG all along. Its an engine problem now.

JUST GREAT! So now they'll troubleshoot it.

So any new ideas? I forget but did speedracer had any engine shudder when his valvetronic levers were bad?

So ya when engine is reved and at about 1100 rpms the engine shudders and shakes the car.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

This sounds stupid but when I beat the piss out of the car the car runs great, if I drive more "normal" you notice things that are wrong.

Quick Reply: SMG Shuddering (SMG Guys Please advise)