E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Shuddering (SMG Guys Please advise)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='225238' date='Jan 16 2006, 10:18 PM
Maybe there's a problem with the motor mounts?
Does this sound like motor mounts?

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=20792
Old 01-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='225673' date='Jan 17 2006, 03:45 PM
At the very least, get in writing from them what they found. That way if something bad develops in the future, you have a potential cause documented so you can file a claim or sue them if necessary. How many miles have you driven it like this? Make sure that is documented as well.

Ok so what should I get in writing from them? Would the invoice be enough if it states the problem and what they did to fix it? How detail would be "enough" Or should I ask for a written letter?

evil96: Also when you said take pictures? Of what? I didnt see my car nor the engine and its all clean now so theres nohting to take pics of. My SA just called and told me what they found and said that they will keep the car one more night as the Shop Forman will drive it home to make sure everything is ok.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

do you get a sort of clunking noise which then disappears as you build the revs ?
Old 01-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by 700700' post='225740' date='Jan 17 2006, 05:55 PM
do you get a sort of clunking noise which then disappears as you build the revs ?
Who? Me? No. just shudders... no noise...
Old 01-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='225743
Who? Me? No. just shudders... no noise...
[/quote]

yep you. ok then there *should* be nothing wrong with your manfiold or anything
bolted on to your engine (like vanos, ecus...)
Old 01-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Contributors

Hey how much would one need to overfill the E60 engine before it'll like "overfill" and spill out? Take in consideration that the N62 engine takes like 8 quarts of oil.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='225763' date='Jan 17 2006, 07:04 PM
Hey how much would one need to overfill the E60 engine before it'll like "overfill" and spill out? Take in consideration that the N62 engine takes like 8 quarts of oil.

Did they correct the level of the oil, and if so did the shuddering actually go away? Maybe they put in the amount of oil that is necessary for an oil+filter change, but then forgot to replace the filter. If the old oil filter was kept then it would have needed up to one less quart than the full capacity because the old filter would already be saturated with oil. I am not sure how much less oil the 545 needs if the filter is not changed, but if I remember correctly in my past BMW's the difference between the amount of oil needed with or without a filer change was about one quart. So if the full capacity of oil+filter change was 8 quarts then if the oil filter was not changed you would only need 7 quarts. They may have overfilled it by about one quart.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:24 AM
Contributors

Yes they said after correcting the oil level the car didnt have the shudder. I have not witnessed that myself yet. The dealer still has the car. They kept it over night for the Shop Forman to drive home to make sure everything is ok.

On the paper work it states a oil filter change... so supposiedly they changed it...

Its still suprising how overfilled oil causes vibrations in the engine at a certain RPM... it idled fine...
Old 01-18-2006, 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='225915' date='Jan 18 2006, 10:24 AM
Its still suprising how overfilled oil causes vibrations in the engine at a certain RPM... it idled fine...
Thats beyond me, too. Maybe at a certain rpm, the pressure conditions are just right to bring a bit of oil into the cylinders or the injection side of the engine???
Old 01-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Contributors

Alright picked up the car. The vibration / shudder is gone now. and I tried reving it in neutral and it seems smooth. Smooth enough for me to say its normal. I think all there is now is the engine rocking of the massive torque of the V8 so thats normal.

They did leave the engine cover a litle messy. there are oil spots in several places... Now I have to go home and clean up that mess. ARGH. I didnt want to be a complainer so I figured I'll clean that myself. The shop forman put ~60 miles or so on the car which is fine... but didnt fill the tank back up, I brought it in basically full only drove about 20 miles or so on it. I was hoping it was going to be above and beyond my expectations... I guess it just barely met them.

At least now the car runs the way its suppose to.

As for documentation the invoice only said Found that the engine oil was in correct and they corrected engine oil level. I asked them to write and add that the engine oil was over filled on the previous visit but the RO was closed already so they couldnt but the SA hand wrote it in and they supposiedly scanned it into their system and I kept the original copy.

I hope thats good enough documentation. If the SA is there then I'm sure everything will be fine he'll take care of it but if he does leave the dealer and a problem arises thats when I'll need all the documentation.

Hope all will be well.*fingers crossed*

Quick Reply: SMG Shuddering (SMG Guys Please advise)