E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMG Shuddering (SMG Guys Please advise)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

This is somthing new. When accelerating off slowly from a stop the car shudders. Its only shudders from about 800 to 1100 rpms and then goes away. It shudders enough to rattle some of my door panals and or stuff inside the glove box. I've tried starting off both from second gear and first gear in both normal and sports mode and in manual and automatic mode and it always shudders for a little bit. The car did not do this before. Actually sometimes it does shudder a little rarely... but not this bad... I just noticed it after taking it in for my 1 year annual oil change. Coincidence or not I'm not sure... but what do you SMG guys think? Anyone one experience this?

The shuddering isnt THAT bad but is bad enough. Its like a newbie trying to drive manual and not giving the car enough gas and or letting the clutch out too fast and like border stalling.

Seems like the clutch let up point got changed... I think it is programmable by software right?

Also it does seem like the car does not accelerate as fast anymore from a stop. In gear it still feels normal but accelerating from a stop theres less pick up. It kind of goes hand in hand... if you're borderline stalling and lugging the engine of course it wont accelerate as well as if you slip the clutch more... know what i mean?

Ideas guys?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Sounds like something is wrong -- how many miles are on the car?

Maybe the clutch is wearing or something? I'm thinking you should take it back to the dealer and let them figure it out...
Old 01-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='221926' date='Jan 9 2006, 10:12 PM
Sounds like something is wrong -- how many miles are on the car?

Maybe the clutch is wearing or something? I'm thinking you should take it back to the dealer and let them figure it out...

BLAH! its only got 6700 miles or so. I guess I'll call the dealer tomorrow...

P.S. and no I dont beat on the clutch... I havent even tried Acceleration Assist yet... and I only go WOT (Wide Open Throttle) when the clutch is fully engaged...
Old 01-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

I'll be interested to hear what your dealer says. I have experienced simular shuddering when starting off from a bumpy road and or making a slow hard turn over bumps/gutters. Goes away like you say though.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

My SMG shudders too, 545i 4 months .
Old 01-10-2006, 04:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Mione does the same thing, but only uphill. For example, if I stop on my diveway and then start again, the car shudders. Almost feels like a bad clutch in a regular stick.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='221890' date='Jan 9 2006, 11:32 PM
This is somthing new. When accelerating off slowly from a stop the car shudders. Its only shudders from about 800 to 1100 rpms and then goes away. It shudders enough to rattle some of my door panals and or stuff inside the glove box. I've tried starting off both from second gear and first gear in both normal and sports mode and in manual and automatic mode and it always shudders for a little bit. The car did not do this before. Actually sometimes it does shudder a little rarely... but not this bad... I just noticed it after taking it in for my 1 year annual oil change. Coincidence or not I'm not sure... but what do you SMG guys think? Anyone one experience this?

The shuddering isnt THAT bad but is bad enough. Its like a newbie trying to drive manual and not giving the car enough gas and or letting the clutch out too fast and like border stalling.

Seems like the clutch let up point got changed... I think it is programmable by software right?

Also it does seem like the car does not accelerate as fast anymore from a stop. In gear it still feels normal but accelerating from a stop theres less pick up. It kind of goes hand in hand... if you're borderline stalling and lugging the engine of course it wont accelerate as well as if you slip the clutch more... know what i mean?

Ideas guys?
Very likely a clutch problem. Since you have not had the problem before, I suspect the prob is mechanical. Sorry, but it's dealer time.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

36K+ miles. No shuddering. No Issues.
Maybe you're not driving it hard enough?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The only thing I can think of is just this reminder to SMG owners that you should not use the gas pedal to hold the car on a hill (like you can with an automatic.)

With an SMG, you either gas the car to move forward or use the brake to hold the car in place. Using the gas pedal to hold the car on a hill is the same as riding the clutch on an old-fashioned manual and that will result in significant clutch wear.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I'd also add that you don't want to torque-brake either (like one may do with an automatic to get a better launch).

Quick Reply: SMG Shuddering (SMG Guys Please advise)