E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Shuddering (SMG Guys Please advise)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='225151' date='Jan 16 2006, 04:59 PM
Ok the car is in at the dealer right now.

So any new ideas? I forget but did speedracer had any engine shudder when his valvetronic levers were bad?

So ya when engine is reved and at about 1100 rpms the engine shudders and shakes the car.

My engine runs very smoothly in neutral, so no shudder. However, I did experience some "lugging" from time to time, maily at very low speed driving. It's like the SMG could not keep up with whether I wanted to go, or stop. I can't duplicate it at will thought.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='225155

At first they said cannot ducplicate the problem so I was like NO WAY! I stopped by there after lunch and test drove it with the tech and then he felt it but then said it didnt seem like there was a problem. He said these SMG transmissions are not suppose to be Steptronic smooth. I know... but its not suppose to shudder tho. So then he brought out the shop forman and he test drove with me. He felt it and then in the end when we got back to the dealership he asked me to rev it in neutral. I've never tried that.... AND now guess what. It shudders... its the engine... it wasnt SMG all along. Its an engine problem now.

JUST GREAT! So now they'll troubleshoot it.

So any new ideas? I forget but did speedracer had any engine shudder when his valvetronic levers were bad?

So ya when engine is reved and at about 1100 rpms the engine shudders and shakes the car.
This is going to be my first thing to check out tomorrow morning.
My engine shudders a bit sometimes in idle, but maybe this explains some of my SMG problems.
Good job insisting on driving with the techs. I get the "everything is normal" story every time. If the damn SA would just move his a%$ in my car once with me, that would be a major step forward...I might have to use force next time.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' post='225174

My engine runs very smoothly in neutral, so no shudder. However, I did experience some "lugging" from time to time, maily at very low speed driving. It's like the SMG could not keep up with whether I wanted to go, or stop. I can't duplicate it at will thought.
[/quote]

I ment before... when you had the noise when the engine was cold... did it run smoothly? Cuz right now mine doesnt run smooth warm or cold... it vibrates at 1100 to 1200 rpms
Old 01-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Maybe there's a problem with the motor mounts?
Old 01-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='225238' date='Jan 16 2006, 07:18 PM
Maybe there's a problem with the motor mounts?
I hope its somthing simple... I dont want my engine taken apart already... but what can you do... *sigh* Will see what they say tomorrow. I'll suggest it if they dont find anything...
Old 01-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Sorry to hear , but sounds like you received hands on troubleshooting. Hopefully diagnosis is quick to follow, and repair immediate.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Eric,

It sounds to me like you have the defective velvetronic inetermediate lever have given up. Get them replaced. You shouldn't have this type of vibration.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Contributors

Ok you would not believe what happened... I dont know if I should be mad or what... I called and they said there was some oil leak earlier today and just now I get a call back. Guess what. They found the problem it was over filled with oil. I took it in for a 1 year low milage oil change (* same dealer *) so they were the ones that over filled it.

Soooooooo what can the long term damage be? Thats amazing... *sigh* what should I do? ask for extended warranty? They want to keep the car over night again to let the tech drive it home and make sure things are ok. I told them "ok thats fine..." but man now I'm a little worried about long term reliability from over filling the engine.

Advice?
Old 01-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='225647' date='Jan 17 2006, 05:29 PM
Ok you would not believe what happened... I dont know if I should be mad or what... I called and they said there was some oil leak earlier today and just now I get a call back. Guess what. They found the problem it was over filled with oil. I took it in for a 1 year low milage oil change (* same dealer *) so they were the ones that over filled it.

Soooooooo what can the long term damage be? Thats amazing... *sigh* what should I do? ask for extended warranty? They want to keep the car over night again to let the tech drive it home and make sure things are ok. I told them "ok thats fine..." but man now I'm a little worried about long term reliability from over filling the engine.

Advice?
At the very least, get in writing from them what they found. That way if something bad develops in the future, you have a potential cause documented so you can file a claim or sue them if necessary. How many miles have you driven it like this? Make sure that is documented as well.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Members

[/quote]

At the very least, get in writing from them what they found. That way if something bad develops in the future, you have a potential cause documented so you can file a claim or sue them if necessary. How many miles have you driven it like this? Make sure that is documented as well.
[/quote]

Amen. Document and take pictures. My dealer didn't take me seriously until I gave the guy a four-page document of exactly what was happening to my car. They will treat you differently if they think you are being diligent and know what you're talking about instead of a whiny crybaby BMW owner (not that those really exist... )

Quick Reply: SMG Shuddering (SMG Guys Please advise)