E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMG Problem HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 04:25 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys another SMG problem, I am new in this forum and I really need help, I bought my brother 2005 BMW 545i SMG sport with 82K miles about a few months ago and I love this car, every morning my girl I have a talk that who should drive the 545i or the Infiniti m45. Anyhow I try to go work one morning and when I open the door I did not hear the SMG pump to go off, I tried to start the car, and I got the magic light, SMG pump is out. So, later on I start reading about these lovely issues with SMG and I start trouble shooting this issues. After I play with the SMG fuses and relay, I could not fix the problem, I even go under the car and tab on the pump. After I finally give up and I was planning to send this car to the dealership, I closed everything and as soon as I closed the trunk the pump start working. I ordered pump at the local BMW dealer ship and had it in car to replace soon. However the car was fine for 2 weeks. Today I was trying to clean the car and change some CD?s around and as soon as I got the CD changer out the SMG light came out, I change the CD?s and I installed it back in the car, and SMG light went away and I could drive the car, of course the engine light still on and it will be on for next few days, I drive it for 30 mins and no problem. I am not sure if this is a pump issues or the electrical issues. All the fuses are right behind the CD changer and I do not know where to start.

Please help ,
Thanks in advance
Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh thats a kicker... can you replicate the problem by taking the CD changer out again or something?

One thing to try is check the battery... make sure its still strong. if its weak and starting to go out it can also give all sorts of electrical problems.

good luck. let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:15 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Oh thats a kicker... can you replicate the problem by taking the CD changer out again or something?

One thing to try is check the battery... make sure its still strong. if its weak and starting to go out it can also give all sorts of electrical problems.

good luck. let us know how it turns out.
The Battery was replaced last year, I will check it with the meter when I get home. I took a CD out and in few times and nothing happened. I tried to find the SMG controller on this car and I could not find it, I have a feeling that is going to be behind fuse box next to the CD changer.

Thanks