E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMG wont move after new transmission HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 06:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMG wont move after new transmission HELP

I am beside myself. The 2007 550i smg had a bad clutch with transmission malfunction.
New smg pump, clutch, relay, battery, clutch position sensor and some other 250 sensor on the trans.
Car drives great no error codes, then after 30-40 min of driving once it gets to a stop it wont go into 1st. it wants to go into 2nd, then the ecu keeps switching 1st to 2nd and etc. I press the gas and the car will not engage. I try to hold the shifter into 1st and nothing. It wont move.

This car is for sale, and I just spent 3.5k on trans work and it still wont drive. I about to loose my mind.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:02 PM
RTK
Members

I have this same issue with a 2004 545i. For me the problems all started after the clutch was replaced (approximately 129,000 miles on original clutch).

The items replaced so far (in order) have been:
Battery (about 2 weeks before the clutch)
Clutch and gear position sensor
Shift position sensor
E-Box fan and IVM
SMG control module

Obviously, like you, no faults are stored after these incidents. After each failure if I let the car sit for a few hours the car will be fine and I can drive home.

Failures for me have occurred after driving the car on multiple trips (fourth or fifth trip of the day). I can make a 30 mile commute to work in the morning - no problem. Can also make the return commute home in the evening. However, I have made an additional trip (drive car to eat lunch) and in that case during the drive home I have had a the SMG get "confused" at a stop light after exiting the freeway. I don't think this is a repeatable thing as so far the techs are not able to recreate the issue.

Have only put 2,000 miles on the new clutch in 5 months. Most of the time the car is in the shop.

Great problem to have - Random SMG Confusion.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i SMG

Put a manual transmission in there....Not that hard. Hardest part is to find all them parts you need.
One of these days i will post a new DIY SMG - 6sp swap on E60 non M.
Send me a PM in case you have any questions.
Good luck guys.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i SMG
Model Year: 2006

I am not sure how many miles you have this looks like a common problem around 150k miles or over. I also have similar problem on SMG.
I used a local repair company in Dallas Texas area called Auto scope. They replace every thing cost me over $3,200. But finally they cannot fix the real problem even after they replaced everything. Problem remained and I was told I have to replace the transmission altogether.
After so much complins to BBB and others I moved my car to another service area and they found It has been further stated that the car was tested to have just hydraulic unit problem. That cost me another $2700 that fixed the problem.

I am told to expect to replace pump about 80k miles going forward. Car drives ok for now.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5

Sounds temperature related. The SMG III for the M5 has similar problems from time to time. Get the transmission nice and warm and have the SMG adaptation process run using INPA, DIS, or ISTA/D.

There is a huge difference in transmission feel from the SMG when adapted warm and cold.

And, to be clear, "adaptation" is a very poorly chosen word for the SMG. Absolutely nothing about the transmission "adapts". It is nothing more than a sensor and solenoid valve current calibration process. As components age, the values drift and calibration needs to be reperformed.

Also, anyone who tells you can't perform an adaption an SMG with a used clutch or any similar nonsense has no understanding of the system at all or how it works.

I have run adaptation on my M5 every 3 months for the last 4 years just to keep things nice and smooth.