E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMG Locked

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: April Delivery 2005 - 545i Orient Blue/Beige Leather. Sport & Premium packages/Navigation/Heads-Up display/Premium Sound/Cold Weather Pkg/Park Distance Control/SMG/Split fold down rear w/ski pkg. Currently: 2002 - 530i Steel Blue Metalic. Sport & Premium packages/Navigation/Cold Weather Pkg/Split fold down rear w/ski pkg.

For the second time in 4 months my SMG locked after receiving the dreaded Bong! When I reached a traffic stop at West 56th the car just died. I could not restart as the shifter was in neutral but the instrument cluster was locked in 5th gear.

BMW Assist called for a tow requesting a flatbed but they sent two regular issue tow trucks, both were sent away. Finally got a flatbed to my location 2 hours later! It should be noted that Manhattan BMW was only 2 blocks from where I broke down! Not a pleasant experience.

The last time I took my car to BMW for the same issue they reloaded the latest software, version 17. It was fine until this morning. It will be interesting to see what they blame this latest incident on.

Also, when I arrived at BMW there was another 545i on another flatbed with the same problem! He was towed from New Jersey. His car was locked in 4th not 5th. The service advisor upon seeing both cars on flatbed trucks stated, "Oh man, what the heck is the deal with these 545's." I told him he didn't need to ask the two of us that question, rather he should know the answer.

Just another day in Paradise!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh great... I dont want to hear this... *sigh*

(*knocks on wood*)
Old 09-21-2005, 04:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Sorry to hear. Had this problem once in 12 months of ownership.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Hopefully, you leased your car, so you can give it back without any strings attached at the leases end. I bought my car, so pray for me, I don't want to get slaughtered when I do sell the car in 2 years.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Members

I had the same problem about two months after I bought the car. It was out of commission for two weeks while they waited for a new SMG control module (?). Nine months later and I haven't had a problem since. Hope it works out for you.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:31 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Not to make light of anyone's situation, but now I'm feeling kind of glad I ordered a conventional manual.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Talking

Sorry to hear that dude.

Maybe i'll get the new SMG on the 550i?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Originally Posted by das' date='Sep 21 2005, 12:31 PM
Not to make light of anyone's situation, but now I'm feeling kind of glad I ordered a conventional manual.
[snapback]173193[/snapback]

Old 09-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Members

Mine is in the shop now - if I turned it off in gear, when I went to restart the car it refused to get out of first gear even though the shifter was in neutral. Had to rock the car and stand on the brakes to get it started. (Have no idea what rocking the car does but a friend of mine suggested it and it seemed to work.) Or maybe it was the stream of profanity that got it started again.
Regardless, the BMW service guy said they are going to update the software, a two-day job. Hope it works...
I'm considering making my next BMW a normal manual. Gonna have to get my left foot back into shape...
Old 09-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Maybe I'll jinx myself with this but my SMG is perfect and hasn't even burped or hinted at any issues.

That said, I love the SMG so much that even if I had major issues, I'd likely get another one if it's still an option. (Keep in mind that I usually lease so I'm always under warranty...)

Quick Reply: SMG Locked