E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG or Full Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 6 2005, 06:42 AM
Or maybe they just speak from a lack of experience with the SMG...
Quite honestly, I am NOT an experienced driver with SMG. What little time I've spent with it (approximately 20 miles with an SMG II) I enjoyed. The upshifts occur almost instantaneously with tapping the shift knob. I love this aspect about it.
Please read my post again. I did not, in any way, bash or make derogatory comments about SMG. As a matter of fact, I mentioned in another thread that I was seriously considering my next car to be equipped with this transmission but feedback from some SMG users regarding it's problems has got me second guessing.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 6 2005, 06:42 AM
One thing seems certain -- the SMG owners all seem to love their choice and it's likely that most of them have extensive experience driving a traditional manual and feeling "connected" to the car in the way Centurion describes.? It seems that most of the people who won't let go of the clutch pedal are ones that really haven't had long-term experience with SMG...
[snapback]180361[/snapback]
Seems to me that owners of SMG in this forum claim similar thoughts: it's great because it shifts very fast; I can finally retire my left foot; I can drive it as casual or as aggressive as I want to...no one is wrong here. All true comments. However, I've yet to read a serious comment that goes something like this, "I like SMG because it feels exactly like I'm driving a stick shift." I can say with confidence that most who drive with an SMG transmission DO NOT want it to be like a stick shift otherwise they would have purchased a car with one.

Our personal opinions on "what it takes to feel connected to a car" or "what it means to drive a car" is an individual matter. My enjoyment in driving a manual shifter is based on the "feedback" I get from the car when doing so. I don't challenge myself to see if I can shift faster or smoother than a computer. Rather, I challenge myself to see if I can shift faster or smoother than I ever did before...and when I get it right, when I finally nail it, I get such a feeling of accomplishment that I will never get from a system that does all that for me.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Oct 6 2005, 05:11 PM
However, I've yet to read a serious comment that goes something like this, "I like SMG because it feels exactly like I'm driving a stick shift."? I can say with confidence that most who drive with an SMG transmission DO NOT want it to be like a stick shift otherwise they would have purchased a car with one.
[snapback]180607[/snapback]
Well, keep in mind, I've driven nothing but manuals most of my life. My first BMW (2001 530i/5) is a 5-speed manual. I put a short shifter in it, deleted the dreaded CDV, put on stiffer tranny mounts, and changed the oil to Royal Purple Synchromax. As I massaged it, it became more and more fun to shift.

What the steptronic slushbox aimed to do was to make the automatic more like a manual but give one the ablity to take advantage of an auto whenever needed/wanted. However, this tranny is a good auto but a terrible replacement for a manual.

What the SMG filled was the ability to have a manual (kind of) but still give you an automatic should you desire it. This tranny is a good manual and a good automatic.

The SMG is not a true manual (with a good automatic ability) like the steptronic is a true automatic (with a crappy manual ability). The SMG, thus far, is an excellent compromise between manual shifting and automatic shifitng but there is a learning curve with it.

But, mechanically speaking, the SMG is a true manual. All it has it some fancy clutch attachment whereas some electornics and hydraulics control what the driver used to control. So pure manual enthusiasts will have a bit of a disconnect there with their car.

I don't know that I consider myslef a diehard manual-type of guy. I like them just fine because I think they last longer, are easier to work on, and when driven carefully, should deliver better gas mileage. I don't track my cars so I cannot comment there. All I can say is that I really don't miss rowing gears and exercising my left leg yet I still feel like I'm driving a manual nonetheless. I'm getting quick, snappy shifts that are fun and that feel TO ME, like a manual transmission. Good enough there.

And when I desire an automatic...easily done and not a bad automatic, too...but overall, it still shifts like a manual no matter which mode you are in.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Oct 6 2005, 05:37 PM
[quote name='Centurion' date='Oct 6 2005, 05:11 PM'] However, I've yet to read a serious comment that goes something like this, "I like SMG because it feels exactly like I'm driving a stick shift."? I can say with confidence that most who drive with an SMG transmission DO NOT want it to be like a stick shift otherwise they would have purchased a car with one.
[snapback]180607[/snapback]
Well, keep in mind, I've driven nothing but manuals most of my life. My first BMW (2001 530i/5) is a 5-speed manual. I put a short shifter in it, deleted the dreaded CDV, put on stiffer tranny mounts, and changed the oil to Royal Purple Synchromax. As I massaged it, it became more and more fun to shift.

What the steptronic slushbox aimed to do was to make the automatic more like a manual but give one the ablity to take advantage of an auto whenever needed/wanted. However, this tranny is a good auto but a terrible replacement for a manual.

What the SMG filled was the ability to have a manual (kind of) but still give you an automatic should you desire it. This tranny is a good manual and a good automatic.

The SMG is not a true manual (with a good automatic ability) like the steptronic is a true automatic (with a crappy manual ability). The SMG, thus far, is an excellent compromise between manual shifting and automatic shifitng but there is a learning curve with it.

But, mechanically speaking, the SMG is a true manual. All it has it some fancy clutch attachment whereas some electornics and hydraulics control what the driver used to control. So pure manual enthusiasts will have a bit of a disconnect there with their car.

I don't know that I consider myslef a diehard manual-type of guy. I like them just fine because I think they last longer, are easier to work on, and when driven carefully, should deliver better gas mileage. I don't track my cars so I cannot comment there. All I can say is that I really don't miss rowing gears and exercising my left leg yet I still feel like I'm driving a manual nonetheless. I'm getting quick, snappy shifts that are fun and that feel TO ME, like a manual transmission. Good enough there.

And when I desire an automatic...easily done and not a bad automatic, too...but overall, it still shifts like a manual no matter which mode you are in.
[snapback]180611[/snapback]
[/quote]
To be fair, yes. SMG IS a manual. But in your statement above (which I've bolded), are you saying that the way SMG engages the gears feels like a manual transmission? Because that is just a small part of the "feeling" I get when I drive a manual shifter and in no way can reproduce the overall experience for me.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Sports Pkg Titanium Silver on Black SMG HUD

i love my smg, i have driven manual cars for a while now and stil do, acura tl 6spd. yes a manual can be slightly more fun to drive just cause you get that connected feel, but the smg is an awesome tranny as well, feels like a manual with the way it shifts, gives you a sporty feeling when your driving, and on the track WOW! i have tracked the car once and the tl once as well. i will proly not track the tl again cause it just doesn't need the stress but the E60 can take the track and still drive all the way home in comfort. the smg proves invaluable on the track where not having to take your hands off the wheel is soooo sweet and makes it much safer too. if you are thinking of tracking your car and you've got smg you will see there why you bought it also the car can keep up with the likes of other cars on there smaller than it, i truely is a remarkable car on the track. at the end it's your decision but given the chance again i would still opt for the smg.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 1997 M3/4 Cosmos Black

The learning curve to use SMG I can deal with. It's the possible breakage AFTER the warranty expires that scares me. That, and the ugly steering wheel SMG-equipped 550is come with LOL
Old 10-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by SleepR' date='Oct 6 2005, 06:56 PM
The learning curve to use SMG I can deal with.? It's the possible breakage AFTER the warranty expires that scares me.? That, and the ugly steering wheel SMG-equipped 550is come with LOL
[snapback]180638[/snapback]

UGly steering wheel on the 550? how does it look?
Old 10-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

I was in the same spot many were and decided to give SMG a try. I will hopefully take delivery sometime in November and will be able to give a first hand opinion. I finally decided on it because of the amount of commuting time I have ocassionally.

Before I ordered my current 330i, I test drove an 04 330i with SMG and downright hated it. I also drove the 330i with 6 spd manual and hated it too. It wasn't until my car arrived with performance package option that I was able to drive the exact combo I ordered and I love it. Unfortuneatly due to to a growing family I'm upgrading to the 550i!!! I'ver never tried SMG behind a V8 or M but most of the other drivers on this sight assure me I won't be dissapointed.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Heloha' date='Oct 6 2005, 09:42 PM
but most of the other drivers on this sight assure me I won't be dissapointed.
[snapback]180700[/snapback]
Thats right!

WOW you have lots of faith in the SMG Clan...

J/K J/K you'll love it! and if not I'll take it off your hands so you wont have to suffer too long.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

IMO: either go MANUAL or FULL AUTO

the SMG still has some unsorted problems
Old 10-07-2005, 03:58 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 1997 M3/4 Cosmos Black

Explains why BMW is offering SMG as a no-cost option on 550i Sports
Originally Posted by eugeneloke' date='Oct 7 2005, 06:32 AM
the SMG still has some unsorted problems
[snapback]180821[/snapback]

Quick Reply: SMG or Full Manual?