E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG or Full Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think anything will ever beat the classic manual, as far as plain shifting goes if you know what you're doing. Well, maybe the F1 Ferrari system, anyways, when I actually buy a BMW of my own, I'll get the SMG, for all the reasons everybody else said.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The best way to learn whether SMG is for you or not is to read the entire SMG FAQ thread and all the threads that are linked to it:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2106

Oh, and one more thing....SMG rules!!
Old 10-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Senior Members

I think that you'll find that most of the SMG drivers on the board love the transmission and are happy with their choice. Similarly, the die-hard manual guys like me will keep on using our left foot for as long as BMW lets us. Like so many E60 options, it's a matter of personal preference.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 1997 M3/4 Cosmos Black

Wow, I thought my old FD Rx7 had a complicated sequential twin turbo control system (which was prone to failure)--this BMW SMG is infinitely more complicated--which means a higher chance for failure (compared with a conventional manual).

I tried an SMG equipped M3 a few years ago at a drivers ed (my student's car), and I was struck by how abrupt the upshifts were (I was using SMG "D" mode--I didn't want to fool with learning "Sport" mode, while trying to show the student the "line").

I don't think SMG is for me.

Thank you all for helping me in my decision.

This is a great forum!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by SleepR' date='Oct 5 2005, 11:30 AM
Hello.? I'm new to the board.? I'm very interested in the new E60 550i Sport.?

I see the SMG can be ordered as a no-cost option.? This is very tempting.?

I've been reading recent Roundel articles.? The authors' views of SMG have been negative, and both articles suggest ordering the conventional 6-speed manual.?

What are SMG's limitations?

How does SMG's reliability and durability compare with a conventional 6-speed manual?
[snapback]179830[/snapback]
I would get full manual. I like some things to be simple. From all I have read, I don't think I would like the SMG. For me, there is an SMG Problem/Poll thread several threads down. Check it out.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 5 2005, 08:19 PM
[quote name='SleepR' date='Oct 5 2005, 11:30 AM']Hello.? I'm new to the board.? I'm very interested in the new E60 550i Sport.?

I see the SMG can be ordered as a no-cost option.? This is very tempting.?

I've been reading recent Roundel articles.? The authors' views of SMG have been negative, and both articles suggest ordering the conventional 6-speed manual.?

What are SMG's limitations?

How does SMG's reliability and durability compare with a conventional 6-speed manual?
[snapback]179830[/snapback]
I would get full manual. I like some things to be simple. From all I have read, I don't think I would like the SMG. For me, there is an SMG Problem/Poll thread several threads down. Check it out.
[snapback]180195[/snapback]
[/quote]

Get the conventional 6-speed.

The SMG gearbox on the non-M cars is really a poor incarnation of the BMW SMG technology. :thumbsdown:
Old 10-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

SMG rocks! Get SMG! They've learned how to fix it now... lots of testers out there and problems have been shown and can be fixed now.

If its locked, its the Hydralic Pumps. Jerks, then Software... problem solved.

As for M3 + abrupt shifts... the 545 SMG can be like that too... you need to learn to adapt to it... lift the throttle when shifting... it'll take a few thousand miles to learn SMG... GREAT FUN!
Old 10-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

This is really difficult to describe, but the more control I have over the car, the more connected I feel to it which makes driving that much more fun.

I like the feel of rowing through the gates, especially with a BMW manual shifter. I think they've perfected this down to the way the stick "drops" into each gate. It doesn't just simply slide into gear effortlessly. There's just enough resistance to give you that tactile feedback and the "thud" it makes once you're in. Oh, and the short throws make it feel like a sports car.

Then there's the clutch. Again there's a certain resistance to depressing the clutch pedal. It doesn't feel too soft (mushy) or too stiff. I think BMW does a great job here too.

Launching from standstill is fun. It takes time and practice to learn where the optimal engine speed should be (RPMs) for your car. Again, this goes back to feeling more in control, more involved.

Upshifting/downshifting under normal or spirited driving is, of course, different and it's especially enjoyable for me when rev-matching during downshifts. You can do this while driving normally not just for aggressive driving.

I know you're thinking, "No shit! I knew all of this already!"
All I'm saying is that in my opinion, it's not which system shifts faster or which one shifts smoother. Rather it's about which one let's ME do it because I still want to.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:06 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 1997 M3/4 Cosmos Black

The words of the "Centurion" speak the truth...
Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Oct 6 2005, 01:28 AM
This is really difficult to describe, but the more control I have over the car, the more connected I feel to it which makes driving that much more fun.

I like the feel of rowing through the gates, especially with a BMW manual shifter.? I think they've perfected this down to the way the stick "drops" into each gate.? It doesn't just simply slide into gear effortlessly.? There's just enough resistance to give you that tactile feedback and the "thud" it makes once you're in.? Oh, and the short throws make it feel like a sports car.

Then there's the clutch.? Again there's a certain resistance to depressing the clutch pedal.? It doesn't feel too soft (mushy) or too stiff.? I think BMW does a great job here too.

Launching from standstill is fun.? It takes time and practice to learn where the optimal engine speed should be (RPMs) for your car.? Again, this goes back to feeling more in control, more involved.

Upshifting/downshifting under normal or spirited driving is, of course, different and it's especially enjoyable for me when rev-matching during downshifts.? You can do this while driving normally not just for aggressive driving.

...it's not which system shifts faster or which one shifts smoother.? Rather it's about which one let's ME do it because I still want to.
[snapback]180289[/snapback]
Old 10-06-2005, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by SleepR' date='Oct 6 2005, 09:06 AM
The words of the "Centurion" speak the truth...
[snapback]180347[/snapback]
Or maybe they just speak from a lack of experience with the SMG...

One thing seems certain -- the SMG owners all seem to love their choice and it's likely that most of them have extensive experience driving a traditional manual and feeling "connected" to the car in the way Centurion describes. It seems that most of the people who won't let go of the clutch pedal are ones that really haven't had long-term experience with SMG...

Quick Reply: SMG or Full Manual?