E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG or Full Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 05:55 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 6 2005, 06:42 AM
Or maybe they just speak from a lack of experience with the SMG...
[snapback]180361[/snapback]
Old 10-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 1997 M3/4 Cosmos Black

I too would miss the mechanical connection of selecting my own gears. I get the impression that there are absolutely no mechnical linkages with either the paddle or the SMG lever?
Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 6 2005, 08:42 AM
[quote name='SleepR' date='Oct 6 2005, 09:06 AM']The words of the "Centurion" speak the truth...
[snapback]180347[/snapback]
Or maybe they just speak from a lack of experience with the SMG...

One thing seems certain -- the SMG owners all seem to love their choice and it's likely that most of them have extensive experience driving a traditional manual and feeling "connected" to the car in the way Centurion describes. It seems that most of the people who won't let go of the clutch pedal are ones that really haven't had long-term experience with SMG...
[snapback]180361[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 10-06-2005, 07:08 AM
Members

Zero mechanical linkeage with SMG.

Look, the SMG is new technologly. It will continue to be perfected. It also will take time to learn and be appreciated.

In all honesty, I HATED the SMG for the first couple of days I had it. To top it off, I picked my car up via ED in Munich and had a hard time with the SMG putzing around town.

For me, remembering to step on the GD brake every time I needed to shift from D to R really, really infuriated me. I was coming from a manual so I wasn't used to operating an automatic. My buddy who tagged along on the ED has a 2000 540iA so he actually adjusted to the SMG much more quickly than I did.

Now fast-forward 8600 miles and I think this SMG is the BEST compromise between a manual and an automatic. Now I'm actually annoyed to be shifting again when I dive the 2001 530i/5...go figure....
Old 10-06-2005, 07:22 AM
JDN
Contributors

SMG allows you to rock the car from 1st to R wo touching the brake. I think what you were experiencing was when cranking or after being stopped. Under those circumstances, it's better to have the brake under control when shifting into a gear than to have your E60 take off unexpectedly.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 1997 M3/4 Cosmos Black

My opinion. If SMG is so sporting, why doesn't Porsche put the semi-manual gearboxes in their 911 models?
Old 10-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

To be selfish, I wish you didn't get the SMG. I like the exclusivity that comes with SMG. It's a great conversation starter, but valet parkers needs a little briefing when parking your car. I love it though.

In manual mode, SMG will shift a lot smoother than yourself can. Your ego may tell you otherwise, but do observe your occupants head bobbing around next time.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Oct 6 2005, 08:22 AM
SMG allows you to rock the car from 1st to R wo touching the brake. I think what you were experiencing was when cranking or after being stopped. Under those circumstances, it's better to have the brake under control when shifting into a gear than to have your E60 take off unexpectedly.
[snapback]180394[/snapback]
Yes, when I was maneuvering for parking or getting out of a tight parking spot (in Munich somewhere), I had a hard time shifting the transmission because I didn't have the brake depressed fully or something. This is natural for folks used to an automatic, I think. It was frustrating until I got used to it.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SleepR' date='Oct 6 2005, 09:05 AM
My opinion.? If SMG is so sporting, why doesn't Porsche put the semi-manual gearboxes in their 911 models?
[snapback]180413[/snapback]
Porsche will be coming out with their version of the SMG first in the Turbo (2006), and then it'll trickle down to the regular 911s, then the Boxster/Cayman coupes. Porsche's system will be based on Audi's DSG.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Oct 6 2005, 09:50 AM
To be selfish, I wish you didn't get the SMG.? I like the exclusivity that comes with SMG.? It's a great conversation starter, but valet parkers needs a little briefing when parking your car.? I love it though.

In manual mode, SMG will shift a lot smoother than yourself can.? Your ego may tell you otherwise, but do observe your occupants head bobbing around next time.?
[snapback]180435[/snapback]
In auto mode, it will shift deadly fast!! I love mashing the accelerator and holding on.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Contributors

SleepR, glad you found the forum.

When the e60 first came out, I thought that the SMG was the same as in the Z4 which was getting bad reviews, so I ended up with a manual. SMG may shift faster than me and downshift better than me, but I still enjoy shifting on my own and everything that comes with it.

Still, a few test drives with SMG later on were found to be quite fun and intriguing. We have a SMG equipped m3 currently at VPC, so I'll see what all the fuss is about. SMG will no doubt be great on the track and in the canyons, but I just hope I find it fun to drive a year from now. Reading up on the m3forums, I found a few threads where people are looking to convert their SMGs to manual at quite a pretty penny, so we'll see.

Quick Reply: SMG or Full Manual?