E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat nav upgrade coming Tech Q's

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 02:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I have just ordered a second hand ccc (the in dash nav controller dvd) for the business navigation. I have spoke briefly to a guy who has done one of these upgrades and he says it's pretty easy to do.
1) he tells me that the navigation antenna will work through the dash and can be placed anywhere under the dash below the windscreen. Does anyone have any experience of this? It would certainly seem easier than routing wiring through to the back of the car.
2) Does anyone know if i need the 8 way i drive controller for business nav or whether my existing 4 way will do?
3) He also told me that the BMW coding of the unit to the car is not always required and it may work straight off. Anyone ever done that?

When it arrives (coming from germany) I will do a photo spread of the upgrade and post my findings (or failures!)

Anyone with any tips will be welcome. or anyone with the PDF instructions for the BUSINESS retrofit would be helpful. i already have the PDF for Professional retro fit if anyone wants them. Free of charge of course, just send me your email.

Thanks in advance

Hoppy

P.S. I know that nav gets talked to death on the forum but after an hour of searching i couldn't find what I need so if anyone has the link to the correct thread............
P.P.S the cars actually an e64 645 but it's the same install
Old 11-03-2007, 03:46 AM
Senior Members

The nav. aerial usually works through the shark fine so putting it anywhere else will diminish your reception

Re the controller, I am pretty sure (but not 100% sure) that the 8-way controller is needed.

Re coding, also fairly sure that the unit has to be coded.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:25 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d

First of all if you have Business Navigation DVD player, it's not CCC unit, but M-ASK.

There is no need to change iDrive controller. iDrive High is only for CCC.

System will work partly without coding and it's very unlike that it works completely without coding.

About antenna I had same question with you. I tested it yesterday and it works under dashboard, but of course it's not optimal solution.

Please see my own post about same topic My Business navi retrofit project
Old 11-04-2007, 06:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Originally Posted by vesil' post='489753' date='Nov 4 2007, 04:25 PM
About antenna I had same question with you. I tested it yesterday and it works under dashboard, but of course it's not optimal solution.
Usually works if the car does not have a heat-reflecting coating (like many french cars have)

reception may be a bit less but unless you're in extremely bad reception conditions often for longer times it shouldn't bother you. It will use other inputs (speed, tilt) for calculating where it is and not only GPS reception.

if you experience that it takes long to find out where it is and that it looses accuracy (a lot) in cities with high buildings, you may want to start moving it to the sharkfin.

If you have plastic outside somewhere, you can also put it under that. It's just metal and metallic that bothers the signal coming through.