E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving the 5

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 11:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

530D, Manual, Sports Suspension, Type 124 Wheels, Logic7, Adv-AirCon, Grey Dakota, Adaptive Xenon, Sports Wheel, comfort seats

I have had my car 10 days now, and have done 700 miles of mainly mixed driving in the UK. These are my first impressions of the ownership/driving experience. I have got to tell you coming from a petrol 3 series coupe, this was a big departure for me.

I am amazed by how big the car is, but how small it feels when threading it along small B roads. You can really throw this car around, and it brings a smile to your face. I have always had 3 series Coupes before, and have been suprised by how agile the 5 is. I have driven a E39 SE with Sport suspension, but the new 5 feels even more agile. I also have Sports suspension, and this feels a good option for me, although I will say, the ride is good, but the 18in in conjunction with run-flats, does mean you are aware that the suspension copes with big bumps better than small road imperfections, it does get better as the tyres get warmed up though. The car masks the large rubber so well, the amount of road noise at 80mph is minimal like no other car I have been in. Wind noise is also minimal. In 6th gear at 80 the car is only just doing over 2000rpm. The diesel is quiet, but not as refined as the petrol sixes, but unlike many diesels this one sounds good, and the muted diesel burble is actually quite pleasant. This is my first diesel, and I have to say, even though I haven't tested the performance out yet, the negatives are so small, I can see it being the first of many. It now is showing 42.5mpg over the first 700 miles, only had to fill up at 600 miles !!

I haven't found anything wrong with build quality, I don't use cup-holders, but I guess they do look a bit under-spec but its the first car I have had with them. When I went to the launch I didn't like the interior, but having chosen the colour and options I wanted, I have to say everyone says it feels very expensive, and I love it. The seats are great, and give plenty of lateral support, but I don't think look as good as sports seats.

I-drive is great, I don't have sat-nav, but it now seems very simple to use, and having figured it all out before driving, I haven't had any times where it has demanded too much attention. The wife who can't do anything with anything electronic, including setting the clock on the microwave, happily changes CD's on the I-Drive without tuition or reading the manual. If you didn't have I-drive you would either have loads of buttons, or less adjustments. Surely people can see, this had to happen sooner or later, you can't offer this many options on a car, and leave blanks all over the dashboard when you don't specify all the options. And when new options come along, BMW won't have to graft bits onto the facia to accomodate them.

Looks...Well like someone else said, you tend to apologise for its looks, but most people say "why, I think its really nice", I get embarassed at how many times, I come back to the car to find people looking around it. One chap in his 30's said, "I have read this is upposed to be ugly, but this is one of the niceset cars I have seen, really fresh", lets face it evolution would have worked for about a year, but then BMW would have been pounded for being unadventurous.

I have got to say, I am so impressed with this car, it makes so much sense, well made, well designed, handles well, rides well, is economical, has impeccable dealer servicing (my dealer anyway), should hold its value as well as any other car of this size and once I can open it up, has good performance too. To me it looks good, so what more can I ask for ?.....have a feeling a sport model is going to look more aggresive....but just how long do you wait ?

Old 11-20-2003, 07:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Congrats on the car. It looks nice. Thanks for the post as well. Good information/view points. Also, if you like it, don't apologize. Tastes are personal, and if someone doesn't like it, that doesn't mean that they have good tastes or that you have bad, it just means you have a different opinion of what looks good and what doesn't.

Ordering mine in March. Reading reviews such as yours really makes me want it now...in due time.

Congrats again, enjoy your car. Also, keep us posted on other good and bad things that you find as you continue to learn more about your car.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:12 AM
Members

Aaron,

Thanks, I will also post a few pictures of the interior if we ever get a sunny day, as I have noticed flash makes the grey leather look really bleached. Will post more details of the driving experience when its run in
Old 11-21-2003, 09:12 AM
Sam
Members

Thanks for the review.

I currently drive a 3 series saloon and I too am slightly concerned that the size of the 5 may well mean I have to adjust my driving style as no-longer will I be able to thread sylph-like down winding b roads. Reading your report makes me worry somewhat less though.

---
Sam
Old 11-22-2003, 08:10 AM
Members

Sam.

Don't worry, looking at it in the garage it is a big car, but it shrinks around you behind the wheel. If you are worrying about it feeling barge like, don't, its very light footed. Parking is the biggest worry after a 3 series, especially the end to end stuff, a bigger space is needed, but its only 10cm wider than a E46 coupe.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:45 AM
Members

Congrats. on your new car. My car is similarly spec'ed (color, engine and wheels) except I have the Autobox, active steer and dyn. drive with black leather interior so my pics would be same as yours!

Other then that, I totally agree with your review.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:21 AM
jayeshp

Talking

Hi all,

I get mine on Friday....i simply cant wait going tomorrow to the dealership to have a peek....just the paperwork keeping me away from my 5. <_<

I'll post as soon as I get it!

5 Alive.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:33 AM
Members

JayesHP

What are you getting ?, model colour, options etc
Old 11-24-2003, 07:37 AM
Members

Bazza,

With dynamic drive, do you get the issue with the 18in and runflat tyres transmitting small bumps or not, just wondered if it helped. How many miles have you done now, any problems ?
Old 11-24-2003, 07:49 AM

E60 530d,

Is that Sycamore BMW I spy in the first shot??

Quick Reply: Driving the 5