E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brights question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So on my pre-lci 07 when I pull back the brights lever it puts on a brighter yellow beam. When I actually push it forward to turn them on it puts out a brighter xenon-white light.

On an LCI I had, pushing it on or pulling it back to flash the brights both put out the same white light. I dont know if the LCi I drove had xenons or not but I do not see why my car would put out a brighter yellow light when pulling it back and not actually flash the true brights-is this some mistake in my car or what is the point of that?
Old 11-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='489338' date='Nov 3 2007, 02:54 AM
So on my pre-lci 07 when I pull back the brights lever it puts on a brighter yellow beam. When I actually push it forward to turn them on it puts out a brighter xenon-white light.

On an LCI I had, pushing it on or pulling it back to flash the brights both put out the same white light. I dont know if the LCi I drove had xenons or not but I do not see why my car would put out a brighter yellow light when pulling it back and not actually flash the true brights-is this some mistake in my car or what is the point of that?

For the pre-lci When you pull the stalk its for flash to pass... flashing other drivers and letting them know you are allowing them into your lane or what not. Its correct. it uses the inner halogen bulbs for that. when you push the stalk you are indicating you are on a dark road and need the high beams to see further up the road so it will change the shutter to project further.

For the LCI they just changed the design to activate teh shutter rather than having a new set of halogen bulbs for flash to pass.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='489523' date='Nov 3 2007, 12:45 PM
For the pre-lci When you pull the stalk its for flash to pass... flashing other drivers and letting them know you are allowing them into your lane or what not. Its correct. it uses the inner halogen bulbs for that. when you push the stalk you are indicating you are on a dark road and need the high beams to see further up the road so it will change the shutter to project further.

For the LCI they just changed the design to activate teh shutter rather than having a new set of halogen bulbs for flash to pass.
You mean if the headlights are on, right? If they aren't does it still use the inboard halogen lights?
Old 11-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

EBMCS03 is correct. The LCI cars don't have dedicated "flash to pass" bulbs -- they just use the Xenons for flashing.

The inner bulbs on LCI cars are now used for cornering lights. The cornering lights come on at a low speed when the wheel is turned or the turn signal is on...
Old 11-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='489675' date='Nov 3 2007, 10:13 PM
EBMCS03 is correct. The LCI cars don't have dedicated "flash to pass" bulbs -- they just use the Xenons for flashing.

The inner bulbs on LCI cars are now used for cornering lights. The cornering lights come on at a low speed when the wheel is turned or the turn signal is on...
Are the Xenons effective when used to flash? It would seem that the second or so they need to "warm up" would make for an anemic flash.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 5 Rakete' post='489676' date='Nov 4 2007, 01:25 AM
Are the Xenons effective when used to flash? It would seem that the second or so they need to "warm up" would make for an anemic flash.
They pretty much come on instantly -- warm up isn't an issue with Xenons these days...
Old 11-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Banned

Wow talk about a wasted part-A dedicated set of lights and wiring for "flash to pass" light that is different than actualy brights. Sure it is nice thinking but I guarentee 99 percent of people would not understand there is a difference, even within hte bmw community.

I think it makes more sense how the LCI did it to have the same bulbs flash regardless-a flash of brights is a flash of brights to me. Conisdering too the flash to pass was brighter than regular lights.

So follow up question0-are regular lights xenon if so equipped, true brights are xenon only brighter and DRLs are halogen?

I remember reading some thread that was saying you do NOT have xenons if you dont have the headlamp washers-I dont have them but I looked hte other week and I indeed have xenons-is this a different country specs somewhre in europe with inclement weather?