E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAFELITE sucks !

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this has nothing to do with bmw or whatnot, but I HAD to rant. Right after taking my car out of the shop after the "ticking lifters" ordeal, the car was washed and cleaned and I'm feeling like I'm on top of the world. Next thing I hear, "plhick!", stupid as rock puts a huge chip on my winshield. I almosted started to cry. This was the 2nd of 2 chips I have on the car now. The first one wasn't really noticeable, so I kinda didn't bother with it. But now that I have 2 chips, I decide to do something about it.

Made an appointment with Safelite and took her in. 40 minutes later, the 2 chips are still there. Yes, the larger chip is less noticeable, but nonetheless still there. And as for the little one, I don't think they even touched it. Still looked the same. The tech told me it's much smoother than before. BS !

Plus, they dirtied my floor mats and my winshield, which they were suppose to clean for me as stated in their contract.

Don't use Safelite, they suck !

OK Admins, you can remove this post now. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

All of the their work is handed out to local glass shops who contract with them. It's definitely a hit or miss who you get. I had my windshield swapped a few years ago and the first tech botched up the job where I could hear the whistle at higher speeds. I took it back to one of their home locations in Anaheim and I asked them to put a different tech on it with more experience. The new guy did a perfect job. He even used another brand new windshield glass and new seals.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:56 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

ehhh great experience here. The first safelite tech recommended not even trying to repair the crack and to replace the whole windshield. The second tech came by the next day and replaced the windshield while I was at work on site in two hours.
Even if there was an issue I remember they gave me a customer survey and a satisfaction guarantee. No problems here.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i Sport Alpine White, winter package, comfort access, bluetooth, Satellite radio, tinted windows, Michelin Pilot Sports PS2s

Had my windshield replaced by safelite and was satisfied with the glass and installation. It was a safelite office that did the work. The tech was very experienced. The install was less than 2 hours.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

LOL. I haven't had problems with them in the past, you must know how things work. You should have made the crack longer so they have to replace the windshield. Know the law and their policy there. I'd use them again if I had to but my guy deals directly with higher end cars so I wouldn't bother with anyone else. Last time gave me an infrared M5 windshield at no additional cost when I KNOW it cost a lot more. You should see the way he takes apart the whole car, even the hood and swings it around. 100% professional.

P.S. noticed your avatars are a bit explicit. Are you over compensating for something?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Members

So maybe I just chose the WRONG office to visit? I mean come on, at least clean my winshield after you're done !
Old 06-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by deltabox
So maybe I just chose the WRONG office to visit? I mean come on, at least clean my winshield after you're done !
yes i agree. our laws here cover our front windshields 100% with our comprehensive insurance coverage and we're not responsible for deductibles or rate increases. Your law may be different though. If you are not responsible then contact your dealer and ask them if they do it or who their preferred installers are. E60 is famous for windshield noise if not done correctly. Must use lots of sealant.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

I refuse to allow Safelite to touch my cars. Here in Texas, the insurance companies cannot dictate who you have to use. I elected to have my local BMW dealer do the replacement on my 545i with HUD. The dealer does the work in house. The result was perfect. Last time I used Safelite, not so much.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Members

My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2005

My dad recently had his MDX chipped windshield done by safelite, and I had my windshield replaced last year... They explicitly told my dad that repairing a chip is purely cosmetic, and is designed to stop the spread of the crack, not completely fix it. I took a look at the finished product, and unless you knew it was there, you would look right over the indent in his windshield. I was completely satisfied with my windshield replacement. Additionally, my car is registered in Florida, and I believe I have 1 maybe 2 windshields per year built into my insurance policy. What my advice is (and what my current plans are for my freshly chipped windshield), let the crack do its own thing with the changes in temperature until the crack spreads bigger than the size of a dollar bill, and then file an insurance claim. Replaced windshield > repaired windshield annnny day
Old 06-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PrimeTimeTSA
My dad recently had his MDX chipped windshield done by safelite, and I had my windshield replaced last year... They explicitly told my dad that repairing a chip is purely cosmetic, and is designed to stop the spread of the crack, not completely fix it. I took a look at the finished product, and unless you knew it was there, you would look right over the indent in his windshield. I was completely satisfied with my windshield replacement. Additionally, my car is registered in Florida, and I believe I have 1 maybe 2 windshields per year built into my insurance policy. What my advice is (and what my current plans are for my freshly chipped windshield), let the crack do its own thing with the changes in temperature until the crack spreads bigger than the size of a dollar bill, and then file an insurance claim. Replaced windshield > repaired windshield annnny day

1-2 windshields per year? I never seen that clause. A lot of people are not in FL and do not have that coverage on their policy so they come out of pocket even if it's for their comprehensive deductible.