E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Restraint System Failure (Passenger)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012 | 01:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530i

Awesome.
I personally couldn't own a BMW unless I had all the BMW softwares. Saves me a lot of time and money. SERIOUSLY. But then there are always those physical things which creep up on you that you cannot diagnose. Other than that everything else is really cake What sucks is that the dealer will never ever just 'fix' an issue..rather they'll recommend replacement. Replacement with the exact same part quality that failed? Really? But there is a supply because there's a demand. Like paying $200-$800 just to change a lightbulb. Some people will pay! Me, I'd rather give my money away to a person in need than to use it to makeup for my lack-of.
Old 06-17-2012 | 05:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

CAN I BUY(COPY)...all the software do u have..
i will love to make a donation..
respect//STELI
Old 06-18-2012 | 02:27 PM
Members

Thanks for the suggestion on the fix, my530i. I'll keep that on the list to check out. Would love to have a diagnostic computer to be able to read off the error messages - will have to spend the time to figure it out some weekend.

On my Passenger Restraint System error - I called BMW NA today and opened a formal case on my Passenger Restraint System error issue. Their customer service rep and manager were attentive and helpful. They are stepping it to review the case with the Dealer. It makes me cautiously optimistic that things will work out in a good way.

I will post what happens as things are figured out.
Old 06-18-2012 | 04:07 PM
Senior Members

let us know how it goes
Old 06-19-2012 | 04:18 AM
Members

My iDrive message for the restraint failure suddenly disappeared at start of engine.. Wierd
Old 06-19-2012 | 07:44 AM
Members

From what I've seen on my car, it seems like there are two different faults or fault modes
- a "soft fault" that displays the error, then disappears when the car is restarted
- a "hard fault" that displays constantly until it is reset by a service tech

On my car, I got the "soft fault" once or twice after the first attempt to fix the issue, then it became a "hard fault."
Old 06-25-2012 | 09:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Sapphire black -18' M5 wheels -Sport pack -LED Angel's

Your car might have an open recall about the passenger airbag floor mat, I just took my 04 545i to my local dealership and they fixed it free of charge.
Old 08-05-2012 | 08:54 AM
Members

Got a final resolution to my Passenger Restraint System issue in mid July --- after I contacted BMW NA, they reviewed the service records with the Dealer and came back to me 3-days later with an offer to buy back the car. The offer followed the lemon law formula for California. An "independent services group" actually carries out the buyback - they make sure you have both keys, the manuals, and that the car is in reasonable condition (similar criteria to a lease return) - and hand over the check from BMW NA. They made an appointment with me to return the car and it all went very smoothly.

I was impressed with the whole process, everyone that I talked to at BMW NA was sharp, professional, and nice. They were efficient at evaluating the issue and decided to do the right thing without requiring a big fight.

To me, that truly is "ultimate service" and I'll definitely be buying more BMWs in the future.

Now I just have to figure out what's next...
Old 11-02-2012 | 07:34 AM
New Members

Hello All,
I have a '07 525I and have got the passenger restraint failure for some time now. I gave it to the dealer and the SA checked and said there was no recall for my VIN, diagnized and said sensor for the passenger mat to be changed for $1400. I gave him go ahead & to fix the problem as pretty soon, my car is up for state inspection. I had a route 66 extended warranty but they won't cover it since airbags was one of their exclusion. Now after finding & reading this forum, I contacted BMW NA , didn't tell them that I had already told SA to do the work and they said to contact them after the diagnosis.
My car though should be ready today and I will have to pay today.
Anyone with 2007 have the same issue?
Old 11-04-2012 | 05:21 PM
Senior Members

Looks like you jumped the gun on this. Could have been a simple $200 fix for you and now it's going to cost you $1400. Sorry to hear

Quick Reply: Restraint System Failure (Passenger)