E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Remove *front* license plate in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008 | 09:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 520i M54 Manual, Saphire Black Metallic, Purchased 03/2004 Standard Equipment: Bi-Xenon Adaptive Headlights, PDC, Airbags all Around, Folding Mirrors, Active Steering, Extended Lights Package, Aluminium/Black Interior, Heated Black Dakota Leather Comfort Seats, Folding Rear Seats w/Ski Bag, Logic7Audio, Car Key Memory. Retrofitted: ///M Tech Aero Kit, ///M Tech Wing Mirrors, ///M5-Forged Wheels, G-Power Quad Exhaust.

if you plate is dirty or non-readable it costs up to a figure of 5000.- euro (Austria)
source: http://burgenland.orf.at/stories/249607/
Old 05-25-2008 | 09:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by abcsworld' post='588038' date='May 25 2008, 07:14 PM
In France: If your license plate are not proper you will get at min 68 euros fine and your vehicule will be held by the police for the duration of the repair (in short they will not allow you to pursue your trip). If you decide to push it to tribunal fine will go up to 450 Euros at min.

So ?68 + half confiscation ?
And who should repair it, we with a drill or they in a shop ?
Old 05-25-2008 | 09:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Centaurus' post='588039' date='May 25 2008, 07:17 PM
if you plate is dirty or non-readable it costs up to a figure of 5000.- euro (Austria)
source: http://burgenland.orf.at/stories/249607/
What does 'Up to 5000' mean ?
Because here from 74 to 300, but they apply always the minimum .

--
Edit Centaurus: are you sure of those 5000 ?
We have a different ticket for dirty plate (and it is ?35/45) .
I can't believe they apply 5000e if you go to ski and while you are driving it begins snowing and without your guilt the plate becomes dirty.
--

Today I went to Switzerland but I forgot to ask, what a stupid! (found : http://snipurl.com/2aku3 , there is also French and German language)

PS :
Good looking rear!

Italy: ?75
Denmark: ?66
Finland : ?150
Czech Republic: confiscation
Sweden: ?150
The Netherland: ?75
France: ?68+ you have to attach it immediately
Greece: ?150-250
Austria: up to ?5000
Portugal: from ?50 to ?250
Switzerland: Ticket (paragraph 96 of the CH traffic law), but not mentioned the amount.
Great Britain:
Germany:
Belgium:
Holland:
Luxembourg:
Others pls specify
Old 05-25-2008 | 10:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Fully loaded

Well, i know you did not ask for Portugal but here is from 50 to 250 euros!
Old 05-25-2008 | 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hellraiser' post='588066' date='May 25 2008, 08:20 PM
Well, i know you did not ask for Portugal but here is from 50 to 250 euros!

And they would apply the minumum, so ?50 ?
Lista updated with Portugal

Pls confirm GB and some german members help us to complete the list
Old 05-25-2008 | 01:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 520i M54 Manual, Saphire Black Metallic, Purchased 03/2004 Standard Equipment: Bi-Xenon Adaptive Headlights, PDC, Airbags all Around, Folding Mirrors, Active Steering, Extended Lights Package, Aluminium/Black Interior, Heated Black Dakota Leather Comfort Seats, Folding Rear Seats w/Ski Bag, Logic7Audio, Car Key Memory. Retrofitted: ///M Tech Aero Kit, ///M Tech Wing Mirrors, ///M5-Forged Wheels, G-Power Quad Exhaust.

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='588041' date='May 25 2008, 07:21 PM
What does 'Up to 5000' mean ?
Because here from 74 to 300, but they apply always the minimum .

--
Edit Centaurus: are you sure of those 5000 ?
We have a different ticket for dirty plate (and it is ?35/45) .
I can't believe they apply 5000e if you go to ski and while you are driving it begins snowing and without your guilt the plate becomes dirty.
--

Today I went to Switzerland but I forgot to ask, what a stupid! (found : http://snipurl.com/2aku3 , there is also French and German language)

PS :
Good looking rear!

France: ?68+ you have to attach it immediately
Austria: up to ?5000
Switzerland: Ticket (paragraph 96 of the CH traffic law), but not mentioned the amount.
Great Britain:
Germany:
Belgium:
Holland:
Luxembourg:
Others pls specify

5000.- is the maximum punishment, i think no one paid this before.

If you have to pay in Austria it will be not more than 200.- euro (i hope so )
Old 05-25-2008 | 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

In Germany it is 40.- ?uro.

BUT:

This is for German cars that have a license plate and currently don't have it on.
If you never had it on, the story is very different.

The police might think that you are commiting a crime, or at least, that you will do something illegal intentionally.
That makes it difficult, bcause in that case they can seize the car and you will face a judge.

So, in the best case, it is 40.- ?uros only, what will be doubled for you, since your car is registered in a foreign country, and has to be paid in cash at the spot.

Worst case is: Seized car, law suit against you.

It allways depends on what the police officers make out of it. What intentions they think you had...
Old 05-25-2008 | 02:07 PM
Members

My Ride: April 2004 BMW 520i

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='588040' date='May 25 2008, 07:18 PM
So ?68 + half confiscation ?
And who should repair it, we with a drill or they in a shop ?
To be exact, the fine is called "third category", which means 68?, reduced to 45 if you pay within 3 days, or augmented to 180? if you have not paid within 15 days.
The cop issues an "immobilisation ticket", which means you cannot drive your car except in a 15 km radius around the police station, and only to go home (NOT to go to work) and to a garage where you have the job done. Only one person, whose name is written onthe ticket, can drive the car.

I can testify as my son's ticket from yesterday evening is on the desk a few inches from the keyboard I'm typing on right now !

The car is not confiscated in any case (unless some other big unlawful thing has been seen by the officer), it is just locked there between the police station, the garage, and home, and just for one trip, that has to be done within seven days.

And if you get caught to drive outside of these limits, then the infraction is (law CR L 233-1 and L 233-2) up to 3750? fine with up to 3 years supsension of the driver's license and up to 3 months in jail.

AND..... if the cops see that you drove your car outisde these limits when you get caught running a red light or a stop or being involoved in a crash (even if you are not responsible of the crash, even if nobody is hurt), then you get into HUGE trouble : law CR L-233-1-1 prescripts up to 75.000? fine with up to 5 years suspension of your driver's license and up to 5 years in jail and confiscation of the vehicle.

Of course, these convictions are not made on the spot, but you go to court and a judge decides what and how much you get.
But chances are you'll have a hard time to get authorized to leave France before trial, and as courtrooms are sooooo busy here, it might take up to three years before the trial takes place. In general, it takes 6 to 12 months.

Like Iceman said in the previous post, if the cops see that no plate was ever affixed, and if they're in a bad mood (and that depends a lot on the driver's attitude, from my experience), they might think something is really weird and want to investigate more, which means they can keep you for interrogation at the Police Station for up to 48 hours. You cannot access to any lawyer's advice in the first twenty hours. And in the end they can show you to a judge who might decide to put you in jail for months before trial if they think something is really weird.
And BMWs around here, specially black ones, have a reputation to be drug dealer's favourite cars

Apart from that, France is a very friendly country.
Old 05-25-2008 | 02:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Why not affix it with double-sided tape? Doesn't leave a mark and, most importantly, if you drive 140 or so miles an hour on the German autobahn and you see a cop, you know that you're not doing anything wrong :-)

I doubt whether anyone (apart perhaps from the French) will pull you over and say that it has to be fixed by another mean...

In NL and BE, I'm pretty sure you can put it in the front windshield withour anyone pulling you over (from experience)

Finally: the Netherlands = Holland. You can strike one of them from your list (strike Holland)
Old 05-25-2008 | 11:08 PM
Senior Members

France: ?68+ you have to attach it as soon as possible otherwise they stop you
Austria: from ?200
Germany: ?40-80
Belgium: friendly officers, likely no big trouble
Great Britain: an english member told me usually you can say "I lost it two hours ago, sorry, I'm going to buy it" but if they understand you want to drive without it ... They can stop the car and send you to the judge to establish the ticket.
Luxembourg:
Others pls specify

I think the best choice, everywhere, would be make the holes and bring the license plate in the boot in case of stop by the police .

Honestly I don't think someone would have a trial or a visit to a court for this little infraction, except they find drug in your boot or under the rear sofa .

PS:
glimmerchef, what kind of sanction for this :

12082007_autostrade_francesi.doc

(change extension from .doc to .mp4)

And I'm interesting in 200 and 230 kmh ticket - a friend of mine was catch in cote d'azure at 278 kmh: he got ?900 + 2 months suspension in France .

Quick Reply: Remove *front* license plate in Europe