E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Remove *front* license plate in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

In our country, the will confiscate the car and cut your dick off.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

what rules? what r you talking about? lol................ppl sometimes don even register their cars fear of explaining the source of their income lol hahahahhaha
Old 05-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by hondik' post='587614' date='May 24 2008, 07:48 PM
In our country, the will confiscate the car

Italy: ?75
Denmark: ?66
Finland : ?150
Czech Republic: confiscation
Sweden: ?150
France:
Switzerland:
Great Britain:
Germany:
Austria:
Belgium:
Holland:
Luxembourg:
Others pls specify
Old 05-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='587567' date='May 24 2008, 06:28 PM
Here and in many countries front and back plates are the same colour, black on white .
So ?60/?80 there ? Are you sure, can I update the list with GB ?
About ?150 in Sweden
Old 05-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='587536' date='May 24 2008, 04:46 PM
That would be, uh, white in front and white in the back?
In the UK and France, plates are white in front and yellow in the rear. So much for so-called Euro standards...
Old 05-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

EUR 75 fine from the authorities here in the Netherlands, from what I can find.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

If you carry a plate in the boot and are able to make it look like you have just picked the plates up from the maker and are on your way home or to a dealer to fit them - you may actually have a story that may get you off the hook. The story wont work if you are in UK with an Italian car!
Old 05-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Come on guys We are not beginners are we.

The standard behavior is: You never mount the front license plate. You put it on the road and drive over it two times. You pick it up and bend it a bit. You stick it under your seat. When you get stopped you explain you are heading to the nearest BMW service because someone was bumper parking this morning.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='587618' date='May 24 2008, 07:58 PM
what rules? what r you talking about? lol................ppl sometimes don even register their cars fear of explaining the source of their income lol hahahahhaha
Or you can get diplomatic license plates, even better Or mount mini-flags of your country on the hood.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Members

My Ride: April 2004 BMW 520i

Hi y'all...

My son just got fined this evening (here in France) for having his front license plate *slightly* bent.
It is still affixed on the car, perfectly readable (specially by any speed camera), but he got a 45 euros fine that he had to pay on the spot *and* they confiscated the registration card, he must go back to the police station monday before 6pm to show a brand new license plate on the car.
He is allowed to drive on a 15 km distance around the police station, which, fortunately, is close to our home, until then.

Also, forget about the double-sided tape : license plates must be *riveted* (not just screwed) on the car, front and back.
This means your front bumper *must* have holes already drilled to fix the plate.
If you dont have those holes, they keep the car at the police station until the closest garage opens to have the job done.
Chances are they will also keep your passport if they are in a bad mood. And they sometimes are.

Of course, there is still a chance no cop will see you, or maybe you can talk your way out of this kind of trouble, but dont forget very few cops here speak or understand english.

About plates color, in France front plate is black letters/numbers on a very light yellow (almost white), and back plate can be the same or black on yellow.
Older cars (1992 and before) can keep the old color, which was white on black.
Cars with foreign license plates must use the european format, which includes a small logo in yellow on blue (12 stars for the european flag + the national code : GB, NL, D, etc.) for european coutries.
Cars licensed outside the european community must have a national sticker near the back license plate (USA, CDN, etc.) with some official dimensions, approximately 8 x 5 inches, elliptic, written in black on white, without any logo, just the national letters.
If you dont have that sticker affixed, you dont have to had it on the spot (hard to find a national official sticker for Zimbabwe here !), but you get fined, probably the same 45 euros though I'm not sure.

While we're at it, though I guess you wouldnt do that, dont think about selling your car here : you'd have to have it fitted to the european standard, which means a special inspection that takes a couple of months to get, costs an arm, and you'd have to make many transformations to the car itself (tyres, lights, brakes etc.) and pay 19.6 % VAT + various other duties and taxes.
Even considering the euro/dollar rate and the differences of prices betweens USA and europe, I doubt it would be worth it.

Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: Remove *front* license plate in Europe