E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Progman 23 Day is Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: delivered 5 sep 06: 520d E61, silver gray, dakota truffle brown, comfort seats, aluminium, PDC, nav pro, pro spkrs, 124 rims, auto a/c, comfort access, anti d mirrors, side airbags, int rem ctrl, roll blinds, glazing, green band, light pack, storage comp

Originally Posted by santiago fonseca' post='342501' date='Oct 7 2006, 03:17 AM
Let's re-phrase that Znod: Software - PERIOD - is the worst feature on BMW. The fact that a fickle computer that has to be re-booted (car restarted) and software that is not ready for prime time gets loaded on a 60K+ car, and the fact that you have to see if your dealer thinks you "deserve" a new version - is what the problem is.

Like any computer these days - you buy it and are expected to come back for upgrades to fix the crap they didn't have time to test and ensure it worked before they unloaded it on you because of a deadline. It's on you now to get it fixed. I almost didn't buy a BMW because of that.

I have 2.5 typed pages of glitches in mine and I have an appointment for the 16th. They BETTER install an upgrade. I have V20 I think (550i delivered 1 Feb 06).

I have the CD problem, the radio problem, the engine surging problem, the dieseling problem, etc., and that's one of the greatest things on this forum - you learn quite a bit from its members, and can see if it's an across the board problem or an individual to your car problem.

Now, try this for size: Has anyone had their car spontaneously self start? It's like this: I have Comfort Access (CA). I came back to work after lunch one day around 13:15 and went inside. When I came back out at 17:45, the car was running - don't know how long it had been running but it was HOT and the iDrive screen looked as if it had a fluorescent light behind - it looked translucent.

I could not have forgotten to turn it off since I put something in the trunk AND I have to actually touch the handle to lock it. I would have noticed the dash on and the car running. But let's say for the sake of argument that I'm a dumbass and left it running. The car is supposed to get angry if you take the key out of the car while it's running, or worse yet, it' supposed to get downright mean if you walk away from the vicinity of it with the key in your pocket - all kinds of chimes and a big yellow key on the dashboard, etc. NONE of that happened. My office is about 250 yards from where the car was parked and besides, we have cell phone blockers so no signal should have "issued" from the key fob. The car should have died after the key was removed from its vicinity. Shit, the car locks itself after a couple of minutes when I'm outside of it at the carwash with the key fob in my pocket - assuming I left and forgot to lock it.

Has anyone in this forum had a car with CA start on its own? BTW, the translucency on the iDrive screen lasted almost to the next day. It seems to be OK now and there seems to be no ill effects from it.

We'll see what the dealership says. Like you guys, I hope the upgrade to V23 doesn't give me problems I do not have now while fixing the ones I do have.

Question for you guys: What new features can I expect with the new software? BTW, my CD has never displayed a song name - only that a CD is playing or if off the changer, it displays song # and CD #. The in-dash CD does play MP3 formatted discs, but there's no "plug" to plug in an actual iPod - should there be one?

I'll let you know.

Regards.
Santiago
Hi,
I have CA too and I read the booklet again and actually says the car will be running, even if the key is away once started. The only problem is that if you kill the engine you'll have only 30 seconds or so to restart it without the vicinity of the key. So, with the engine running obviously the car doesn't lock itself.
Are you really, really sure you did not leave the engine running?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by santiago fonseca' post='342501' date='Oct 7 2006, 01:17 AM
Question for you guys: What new features can I expect with the new software? BTW, my CD has never displayed a song name - only that a CD is playing or if off the changer, it displays song # and CD #. The in-dash CD does play MP3 formatted discs, but there's no "plug" to plug in an actual iPod - should there be one?

Santiago
If you make your MP3's properly, then you should see the name of the song playing. Neither player will display song names for commercially produced CD's. Good luck. Some say it's good to be a "self starter."
Old 10-25-2006, 07:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

getting progman 23 on 14 Nov...

plus getting the "banging when closing" sunroof fixed as well, which should be last hardware item outstanding to be fixed..
..I guess the software glitches will be something to live with all the time..
Old 10-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Well im going in tommorow for the recall and the rough start issue. I told them that the rep from BMWNA told me to tell them to install the latest software, (he was the one that responded to me on these forums). The guy looked at me funny and put in his computer"customer states somebody from BMWNA told him he needs a software update". At the time I made my appointment, I didnt have the reps name and number, not that they even asked me for it, but when I take it in tommorow I will give them the details. I feel as they thought I was lying just to get the latest software. Anyway I know the service manager very well and all I would have to do is ask for it. I had to wait tree weeks for an appointment becasue I requested a BMW loaner. I figuire im still paying for my car while its in for service, why drive some other crap mobile.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='348865' date='Oct 25 2006, 06:05 PM
I know the service manager very well ...
Does not sound good to me.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Senior Members

I am supposed to have upgraded from Progman 19.xx to 23.xx. I don't know, should I notice anything?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Znod' post='338629' date='Sep 26 2006, 12:42 AM
Does your CD player continue to play when your car is shut down? If so, then you are entitled to the "upgrade." I say "upgrade" because you never can be sure whether you are going to come out better or worse.
I don't have the same problem but I believe I need a upgrade to correct my problem also. When I program the Logic 7 to play in the Concert Hall mode the next time I go into it to check, its in the off mode. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 10-26-2006, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by my530i' post='339260' date='Sep 27 2006, 01:42 PM
What the hell? Cannot believe that this cannot be fixed. :thumbsdown:
I don't think your CD player moved fwd by 2 songs, but I think it fwd by a few set of song on your CD already

Thanks for provide us update, Znod. Really appreciate it.
Have the same problem with the CD moving two songs since day one and with all the upgrades that I have had its never been corrected. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 10-26-2006, 05:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by vern' post='349017' date='Oct 26 2006, 09:34 AM
Have the same problem with the CD moving two songs since day one and with all the upgrades that I have had its never been corrected. Good luck
cheers
vern
I'm not sure why people still are expecting the CD continuing to run issue to be fixed with any current upgrade as BMW states that they do not expect a fix until March '07. See my post #39 in this thread.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi cd:

I certainly agree. I always read all of your posts ASAP and commit them to memory immediately.

P.S. I hope all is well with you. And, I know what you mean about how often publicly available information is not known or recalled for one reason or another.

Quick Reply: Progman 23 Day is Tomorrow