E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Progman 23 Day is Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

I have also been upgraded to 23.01 and all seems well so far. I did not have the problems reported here though...

What i have noticed is that the sat nav has improved slightly (i have business nav) where the next turn is nore obvious AND (the best bit) the i-Drive stays on the last screen when starting the car again

Also feel that the auto box changes differently however i need to spend more time with it as it may have just been reset and needs to re-learn my driving style...

Oh, and BTW i had to repair my phones as they were deleted...

So far, no problems...
Old 10-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try playing a CD, press mute or off and not the time of the track. Turn off your car and let it sleep for 10 min, and get back to the car. Check if it still at the same location.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe' post='342193' date='Oct 6 2006, 12:48 AM
I have also been upgraded to 23.01 and all seems well so far. I did not have the problems reported here though...

What i have noticed is that the sat nav has improved slightly (i have business nav) where the next turn is nore obvious AND (the best bit) the i-Drive stays on the last screen when starting the car again

Also feel that the auto box changes differently however i need to spend more time with it as it may have just been reset and needs to re-learn my driving style...

Oh, and BTW i had to repair my phones as they were deleted...

So far, no problems...
Unless, Progman 23.X changed things, Steptronic "re-learns" driving style after EACH full stop. Must have a short-term memory problem, or is a long-term memory problem? Seems silly to have it relearn after each full stop, but there you are.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by Znod' post='338740' date='Sep 26 2006, 04:08 PM
IMO, software and upgrades are the worst BMW features.
Let's re-phrase that Znod: Software - PERIOD - is the worst feature on BMW. The fact that a fickle computer that has to be re-booted (car restarted) and software that is not ready for prime time gets loaded on a 60K+ car, and the fact that you have to see if your dealer thinks you "deserve" a new version - is what the problem is.

Like any computer these days - you buy it and are expected to come back for upgrades to fix the crap they didn't have time to test and ensure it worked before they unloaded it on you because of a deadline. It's on you now to get it fixed. I almost didn't buy a BMW because of that.

I have 2.5 typed pages of glitches in mine and I have an appointment for the 16th. They BETTER install an upgrade. I have V20 I think (550i delivered 1 Feb 06).

I have the CD problem, the radio problem, the engine surging problem, the dieseling problem, etc., and that's one of the greatest things on this forum - you learn quite a bit from its members, and can see if it's an across the board problem or an individual to your car problem.

Now, try this for size: Has anyone had their car spontaneously self start? It's like this: I have Comfort Access (CA). I came back to work after lunch one day around 13:15 and went inside. When I came back out at 17:45, the car was running - don't know how long it had been running but it was HOT and the iDrive screen looked as if it had a fluorescent light behind - it looked translucent.

I could not have forgotten to turn it off since I put something in the trunk AND I have to actually touch the handle to lock it. I would have noticed the dash on and the car running. But let's say for the sake of argument that I'm a dumbass and left it running. The car is supposed to get angry if you take the key out of the car while it's running, or worse yet, it' supposed to get downright mean if you walk away from the vicinity of it with the key in your pocket - all kinds of chimes and a big yellow key on the dashboard, etc. NONE of that happened. My office is about 250 yards from where the car was parked and besides, we have cell phone blockers so no signal should have "issued" from the key fob. The car should have died after the key was removed from its vicinity. Shit, the car locks itself after a couple of minutes when I'm outside of it at the carwash with the key fob in my pocket - assuming I left and forgot to lock it.

Has anyone in this forum had a car with CA start on its own? BTW, the translucency on the iDrive screen lasted almost to the next day. It seems to be OK now and there seems to be no ill effects from it.

We'll see what the dealership says. Like you guys, I hope the upgrade to V23 doesn't give me problems I do not have now while fixing the ones I do have.

Question for you guys: What new features can I expect with the new software? BTW, my CD has never displayed a song name - only that a CD is playing or if off the changer, it displays song # and CD #. The in-dash CD does play MP3 formatted discs, but there's no "plug" to plug in an actual iPod - should there be one?

I'll let you know.

Regards.
Santiago
Old 10-07-2006, 02:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='342480' date='Oct 7 2006, 05:28 AM
Unless, Progman 23.X changed things, Steptronic "re-learns" driving style after EACH full stop. Must have a short-term memory problem, or is a long-term memory problem? Seems silly to have it relearn after each full stop, but there you are.

I certanly do not have the steptronic. It appears to remember you from last time but cannot say for sure... I have a long windy stretch on the way home which is deemed sporty by the car and then a long straight road before coming to a stop at the house - both of which change the way the gear box changes.

Personally i do not like the idea of it learning your driving style as it changes regularly and if i want a sporty drive, i'll use D/S!
Old 10-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Contributors

I certanly do not have the steptronic.
You actually do have steptronic (automatic gearbox).
Old 10-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='342548' date='Oct 7 2006, 04:45 PM
You actually do have steptronic (automatic gearbox).

Thought the steptronic was part of the flappy paddle option you can get and therefore totaly seperate from the std automatic? Therefore the options are.. Manual, Automatic and THEN Steptronic? (forgive me if i miss other options...)

Ether way, i'd say it remembers driving style between stops - not 100% but pretty sure... <_<
Old 10-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Contributors

Steptronic is a BMW marketing term for an autobox with capability to shift up and down manually in manual mode
There are only 3 kinds of transmission in E60 up to now:
1. Automatic/Steptronic - SMG paddle retrofittable for this autobox (in my case)
2. Manual 6-speed
3. SMG/M5 SMG with paddle

Hope it helps

Sorry for the hijack :duh:

Back to Progman23, I don't see any visible improvement accept iDrive menu rearrangement. This will cause the press having more stress with BMW i-Drive
Old 10-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='342600
Back to Progman23, I don't see any visible improvement accept iDrive menu rearrangement. This will cause the press having more stress with BMW i-Drive

I noticed more of a minor change of SatNav icons but no re-arrangement - but my car is only 9 months old...
Old 10-17-2006, 03:24 AM
Members

My Ride: (June '05) E60 530d Sport, Silver Grey, Blk leather, Auto, BT, Comms package, 6-disk multichanger,.......£1302 for a dealer fitted towbar.........

Originally Posted by ats77' post='339298' date='Sep 27 2006, 08:13 PM
your ride is cool mate, please post a pic w caravan, I have never seen any with E60

I would put on the same wheels like on the car can you put 19"s

Thanks for the compliment.
166's on a caravan???....now there's a thought!

We're going away this weekend for a few days in the van, so will try to take some pics of the whole rig!

Quick Reply: Progman 23 Day is Tomorrow