E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

poor sound system

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my530i' post='315973' date='Jul 27 2006, 03:43 PM
When you crank your amp up, you'll hear it. Try it.
That's why substerFuse said that BMW sound source is crappy and I agree. BMW sound outputs up to certain level. If you exceed that level, you'll hear noise.
Huh. Well I can't say that I've noticed that yet. But maybe that's just because everytime I get in my car I can't help but think about the damn headlight buzz. It's such a pain in the a$$. All my friends think my car blows cause when I turn on my headlights I get a retarded buzzing noise, and to be honest I kind of agree.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='315961' date='Jul 27 2006, 05:58 PM
So I'm gunna have to take apart the entire rear end of my car. I just don't understand how it's only when I turn on my headlights. Don't all the headlight wires run into the ECU which is under the hood? And the ECU gets power from the battery which is in the trunk. So I'm kinda lost. If it is indeed that the power cables and the audio cables are too close, then wouldn't I get the buzzing sound continually because the ECU is continually drawing power? Also, I'm not entirely sure how the alternator is all hooked up in this electronic nightmare, but wouldn't the ECU draw power from the alternator after the car is running? So isn't everything all up front, in which case why is that my rear speakers are buzzing and not my front speakers?

And how would it just happen after a period of 6 months, wouldn't I have noticed it right away? And I understand that maybe something might have come loose so I'd need to check all the connections, but I had the stereo shop that installed everything check that already and they said it was all good. I'm just really lost on this whole thing.

Is it at all possible that there is just something wrong with my headlights and the way they are hooked up? I tried telling the dealer that and they just looked at me weird and said, "No, it's your stereo." But there have been numerous occasions where I've wanted to slap them in the face because they say stuff like that and then it ends up being exactly what I told them.

Read this page on alternator noise, and it's possible causes:

http://www.carstereo.com/help/noise.cfm

To figure out the noise, you will have to take apart the rear of your car. You need to start at the beginning of your signal path, and independently test each point and piece of gear.

But..... being absolutely honest here.... I don't think the noise is ever going to go away. BMWs seriously have lousy electrical systems.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But..... being absolutely honest here.... I don't think the noise is ever going to go away. BMWs seriously have lousy electrical systems.
Perfectly said substerFUSE!

BMW sound system