E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

poor sound system

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Something happened to the stereo connections, most likely the grounds.... or maybe the audio cable for the rear speakers is messed up.

How are the rear speakers getting their signal? RCA cable.... or line level converter?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Monaco Blue

I have the stock audio. My salesman said the L7 was not worth it. It works fine. I also have a MBCLS 500 and compared to that its good.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

I had logic 7 in my 04 545 and thought it was very good, when I was shopping for my current 550 I was not sure if I would spend the money for it. In the end I wound up with it and I'm so glad I did. Call me crazy but I think it's even better. Does anybody know if it's been upgraded in 07 E60?
Old 07-27-2006, 04:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Does anybody know if it's been upgraded in 07 E60?
It is possible.

The Logic 7 in my 2006 325i sounds better than the Logic 7 in my 2005 545i.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='315528' date='Jul 26 2006, 06:12 PM
Something happened to the stereo connections, most likely the grounds.... or maybe the audio cable for the rear speakers is messed up.
How are the rear speakers getting their signal? RCA cable.... or line level converter?
They're getting their signal through a line level converter.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='315871' date='Jul 27 2006, 02:13 PM
They're getting their signal through a line level converter.

Well.... since you say the noise is only in the rear speakers, that helps us eliminate some of the potential sources.

If the rear speakers are getting signal from a line converter, I would suggest starting there. Check the grounds to the converter, if it is powered (I don't know much about converters because I've never used one).

Next check the cables which connect the converter to your power amp. It could be possible the cable is messed up, the shielding is cut, or something.

Also check that the audio cable is not run close to any power cables. Power cables and audio cables should never be run side by side, because of the potential for inducing noise.

If you still can't figure it out.... I don't know what else to say.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='315901' date='Jul 27 2006, 11:59 AM
Well.... since you say the noise is only in the rear speakers, that helps us eliminate some of the potential sources.
If the rear speakers are getting signal from a line converter, I would suggest starting there. Check the grounds to the converter, if it is powered (I don't know much about converters because I've never used one).

Next check the cables which connect the converter to your power amp. It could be possible the cable is messed up, the shielding is cut, or something.

Also check that the audio cable is not run close to any power cables. Power cables and audio cables should never be run side by side, because of the potential for inducing noise.

If you still can't figure it out.... I don't know what else to say.
So I'm gunna have to take apart the entire rear end of my car. I just don't understand how it's only when I turn on my headlights. Don't all the headlight wires run into the ECU which is under the hood? And the ECU gets power from the battery which is in the trunk. So I'm kinda lost. If it is indeed that the power cables and the audio cables are too close, then wouldn't I get the buzzing sound continually because the ECU is continually drawing power? Also, I'm not entirely sure how the alternator is all hooked up in this electronic nightmare, but wouldn't the ECU draw power from the alternator after the car is running? So isn't everything all up front, in which case why is that my rear speakers are buzzing and not my front speakers?

And how would it just happen after a period of 6 months, wouldn't I have noticed it right away? And I understand that maybe something might have come loose so I'd need to check all the connections, but I had the stereo shop that installed everything check that already and they said it was all good. I'm just really lost on this whole thing.

Is it at all possible that there is just something wrong with my headlights and the way they are hooked up? I tried telling the dealer that and they just looked at me weird and said, "No, it's your stereo." But there have been numerous occasions where I've wanted to slap them in the face because they say stuff like that and then it ends up being exactly what I told them.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heiss5,

There is another annoying thing that with engine on, step on the brake and you'll hear some noise, too.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='315963' date='Jul 27 2006, 03:22 PM
Heiss5,

There is another annoying thing that with engine on, step on the brake and you'll hear some noise, too.
Are you serious? I've never noticed or heard of that before. You actually get a buzzing noise in your speakers when you hit the brakes?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you crank your amp up, you'll hear it. Try it.
That's why substerFuse said that BMW sound source is crappy and I agree. BMW sound outputs up to certain level. If you exceed that level, you'll hear noise.

Quick Reply: poor sound system